Trying To Get Back In

TeeLow

This is a strange request I have to ask. You don't know me from Adam and I've only made a few posts on this forum so far. I'm more of a lurker I guess but I've been loving the system for a good 40 years. NYCTA is in my blood and I can't get enough

I hope you have a bit of time because this will be quite a read. First let me give you a bit of history.

In 1985 I joined the Maintenance Division of the TA as a Light Maintainer's Helper. I was also on the list for Conductor at that time (my preferred job). About 6 months after taking the promotional exam I was a Maintainer. Jay St called me for Conductor about a month before but I didn't take it due to procedure confusion. Since they didn't allow lateral moves anymore from Maintenance to Transportation I had to quit the Light Helper job and that didn't seem right. So I kept the helper job and was promoted soon after.

For the next 5 years I'm in a job that pays good money and has great bennys but I'm not really digging it. Time off here, sick day there...all I could see was I was stuck in a job I began to hate. I got caught up in some trouble and after 7 1/2 years I was forced to resign. That was my fault and no one was to blame but me.

But I'm still in love with the TA even after I walk out the door. Even while I was workin the 12-8 shift the hilight was when I got to walk the tracks and tunnels and flag down trains between stations. I knew more about the entire system than some of the lifers who been there 30 years or more. I knew every line, where they switched out, crossed over and terminated. I got to walk the jumper that connected the old K Line between the IND and the BMT. I was a rail fan even while I worked

I never gave up trying to get back in. Mabstoa, Conductor, TA Bus, the 2nd open competitive TO test... except for Mabstoa which was on some computer predetermined bullshhhh I got upper 90s on all of them. They'd call me down I do the paperwork and would never get any further. On the last TO list I was 1013. Was called to Livingston St last October (07) for the usual paperwork then nothing. I took it further, contacting my local politicians and wrote appeal letters to the TA including Mike Howard. My appeal was denied.

On Dec 13th I took the Conductor's test and I know I did well as I've always done. I'm almost positive it will be the same routine 2-3 years from now...called down, paperwork, piss test, go home and wait. I'll be in my mid 50s when they finally get around to me. It'll probably be my last opportunity in this lifetime to do what I love...actually working on one of the subway lines.

My question to you...is there any way to get past Step 1 from investigation to Medical? I don't have a criminal record, no medical issues and the only thing against me is my past employment with TA as far as I can tell. There wasn't a "No Rehire" stipulation in my separation so I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions or advice you can offer would be deeply appreciated. Thank you

PS: I want to thank Pelham Bay Dave for answering my PM and trying to help the best he could. Just from reading his posts on this forum and reading comments from other members I can tell he's a real class act

See here the real problem starts to take in after taking a test for a civil service job: even if you score high, the waiting period is very long and of course if you get called down which you did the main thing in general is that you will not hear from them. Now this time after being called down, I strongly suggest you keep being in the know of how far you stand before the training class starts, I think it will involve for you calling Livingston many times, but if that's what it takes you have to, because now remember, they had so many people applying for this exam, it will be many list numbers.

I wish you luck on this, because that's what's really gonna get you through!

Don't know what to say, but if what happened was severe enough for them to push you resign, then maybe they do have something on file that will prevent you from working again for the MTA. I know most city jobs do have clauses preventing you from coming back depending on the reason for dismissal.

Even though they don't tell you, they still have your record from back then. All they need is your SSN, and they have all the info. The look at the sick lines, and time off, and that you were forced to resign (we TA employees know what this means). They are trying to hope you give up, so they don't have to tell you why they won't hire you (your past). Why is because due to the gap of time, I don't think they can legally keep you from coming back in (of course starting all over again). At least not with a civil service title. As much as useless as they can be, I say call Local 100, and see what they say.......

See here the real problem starts to take in after taking a test for a civil service job: even if you score high, the waiting period is very long and of course if you get called down which you did the main thing in general is that you will not hear from them. Now this time after being called down, I strongly suggest you keep being in the know of how far you stand before the training class starts, I think it will involve for you calling Livingston many times, but if that's what it takes you have to, because now remember, they had so many people applying for this exam, it will be many list numbers.

I wish you luck on this, because that's what's really gonna get you through!

In each case I took it as far as I could short of hiring a lawyer. For the T/O I spoke to my Assemblywoman, State Senator and Public Advocate. I called Livingston St so much they knew me by my voice. I wrote letters of appeal but in the end none of that seemed to matter. At this point in time the only thing that keeps me going is my love of buses & subways and my boyhood dream of one day pulling ten.

Thanks for your post

Don't know what to say, but if what happened was severe enough for them to push you resign, then maybe they do have something on file that will prevent you from working again for the MTA. I know most city jobs do have clauses preventing you from coming back depending on the reason for dismissal.

There was no clause or stipulation preventing me from being rehired by Civil Service on any level (City, State or Fed). I believe it has more to do with NYCTA being calcitrant toward a former empleyee. In a way I can't blame them, with thousands of younger men and women applying for positions, why rehire a retread who knows a bit too much. I'm disappointed...but I'm not defeated. :P

Thanks for responding

Even though they don't tell you, they still have your record from back then. All they need is your SSN, and they have all the info. The look at the sick lines, and time off, and that you were forced to resign (we TA employees know what this means). They are trying to hope you give up, so they don't have to tell you why they won't hire you (your past). Why is because due to the gap of time, I don't think they can legally keep you from coming back in (of course starting all over again). At least not with a civil service title. As much as useless as they can be, I say call Local 100, and see what they say.......

Oh I know they still have my jacket. Never doubted that. I'd never try to hide the fact. My previous employment with TA is put on every application. I'm not exactly proud of how I went out and being sick of a job that paid very well that had some of the best bennys in Civil Service sounds insane. I believe my biggest mistake was in not looking harder at the choice not to persue the C/R appointment when it came while I was a Light Helper in Maintenance. When Jay St told me I couldn't transfer over and would have to quit Transit completely before they would consider my appointment, all I could see was me being totally out in the cold with no job and no chance, so I stayed. I should've spoke with 100 to get advice but naive me thought I knew better.

As far as the legality of TA being able to keep me out, all they need to do is continue to shove that Civil Service law 4.7.1© in my face and their legal obligation is satisfied. And believe me, this time around I did contact 100 but they basically told me they couldn't help because I wasn't a current employee. Again, I understand...why put their necks on the line for someone who messed up in the past? 100 was themselves holding on by their own fingernails after that strike business. Guess I'm just too damn understanding for my own good lol

Thanks for posting guys. Your help and advice is much appreciated!

• 9 months later...

I am also a former employee, I resigned in 02 from c/r. I was out for a while with a broken foot and surgery and thought I would never walk right again. My record before I resigned was clean, no incidents or sick line abuse. I moved to Florida and then I took the B/O test and my list number was 94. I have a clean CDL class A with my P endorsement, I took the drug test and I know I passed that. I recieved a letter stating that I was not chosen for the position. I am trying to find out if I am re-hireable with MTA. As a former shop steward with Local 100, I have to say they were not very helpful at all. I am on the MaBstoa list now, I believe my random number is 13.

In a convo with a now retired TO, he said he was skipped for promotion to T/Operator repeatedly.. Somehow, I can't remember if it was eventually after calling DCAS multiple times or someone his wike knew, he had a woman tell him that someone wrote discouraging comments in his file, and was probably the real reason for getting bypassed.. He knew what the situaltion was probably about.. He refused to provide false testimony/alibi for some individuals who eventually got demoted/fired for getting caught up in a situation. All though he wasn't personally involved in the incident, & as everyone knows someone, he got 'blacklisted'.. Eventually he made TO tho, but he was already on the inside.. Employees have a right to view thier files, and I'm sure you should have that right as well, especially if it may be keeping you from getting re-instated..

Archived