Private Sanitation Questions

robb911

Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone had any facts about private sanitation?.. Such as is it hard to get into once you have your CDL class B.....what the salary is like? etc. I'm working on getting my B for MTA but I feel i should have a back up plan..especially in this economy...so your answers will be greatly appreciated

Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone had any facts about private sanitation?.. Such as is it hard to get into once you have your CDL class B.....what the salary is like? etc. I'm working on getting my B for MTA but I feel i should have a back up plan..especially in this economy...so your answers will be greatly appreciated

Which Sanitation? I see you displayed Private, so not DSNY? or?

private sanitation as in driving a packer or a roll-off? or working for a town picking up curbside garbage like nassau county suffolk county ect...

well picking up curbside like nassau county etc........but any info even drinving a packer or roll off would be good...just need a little info on how to get in...salary...etc

After I got my CDL B I was like you and tried to work everywhere....I kept hearing the same thing......what have you driven in the past?? and all I could say was if somebody gives me a chance......and luckly I got a job in about a month driving a straight job....otherwise who knows......but give this MR. T carting a shot in I think they are in middle village.

I did the roll off thing and I got lucky at the time because I knew the dispatcher and he gave me a chance. Everywhere I went to gave me the same story, what type of experience did I have. Why dont you try companies who deliver food they usually take new guys the have class B trucks with airbrakes and you do some deliveries with a handtruck. Try Tuscan I think there on Liberty avenue by the Vanwick. When I did roll off in the begining I got commision on each box I picked up. It was hard because I was new and I had 2 other guys working with me who more than I did,but there are places that pay at least 165 per day. I worked for a company in the bronx called Dairyland and had a route delivering food to restaurants and made at least 185 to 200 per day.

I know a guy who got hired by the Town of Hempstead Sanitation,he said he got hired through a "political connection"..You kinda have to know some one whose gonna push your application through Human Resources right away. They work only during the day,start at 6:00am until your finished(around noon or earlier)average 13-14 tons of garbage a day,the salary is a little less than DSNY. The probation period is just 6 months versus 18 months at DSNY.

I got my CDL B last summer,I have also received the same responses when applying for a driver job with private sanitation. I haven't tried Mr.T Carting though,they are in Glendale,Queens.

Those garbage trucks in the private sanitation industry are very dangerous to drive. Your sitting very high up,a lot of fatal accidents have happened where the driver never saw the person he ran over.

I know a guy who got hired by the Town of Hempstead Sanitation,he said he got hired through a "political connection"..You kinda have to know some one whose gonna push your application through Human Resources right away. They work only during the day,start at 6:00am until your finished(around noon or earlier)average 13-14 tons of garbage a day,the salary is a little less than DSNY. The probation period is just 6 months versus 18 months at DSNY.

I got my CDL B last summer,I have also received the same responses when applying for a driver job with private sanitation. I haven't tried Mr.T Carting though,they are in Glendale,Queens.

Those garbage trucks in the private sanitation industry are very dangerous to drive. Your sitting very high up,a lot of fatal accidents have happened where the driver never saw the person he ran over.

well thanks for the responses guys....it seems like i'm gonna have to gain some experience which i don't mind but I'll still try just to try.....you never know....maybe i can get in as a helper or something...but pls tell me what's a little less that DSNY? In other words how much less?

well thanks for the responses guys....it seems like i'm gonna have to gain some experience which i don't mind but I'll still try just to try.....you never know....maybe i can get in as a helper or something...but pls tell me what's a little less that DSNY? In other words how much less?

I have been trying to find that out Robb,will let you know as soon as I find out. For a "seasonal helper" you can just go there and fill out an application. I don't know where to go to fill out an application,but here is the website.

http://townofhempstead.org/content/cs/sanitation.html

Well thx..just not of info out there because believe i've been searching

Yeah I know. I pm'd that guy from another forum,he hasn't responded. I live in western Queens,so it wouldn't make sense to drive at least 50 miles roundtrip to and from work every day.

I will file for the next DSNY exam(2011)if it goes as scheduled. They aren't going to reach my number by Feb/2012)

Try Academy and Coach USA also. Pay ain't that great, but it's a start. Some one stated Dairyland, Tuscan, etc. Try all those. Americans get fatter as we get poorer. Why do you think you see so many obese poor people, but rich skinny people. Food will always be our poor peoples choice of a pillow to cry in. Milk, cheese (I've been cutting it all day), and eggs (I just laid one).........

Yeah I know. I pm'd that guy from another forum,he hasn't responded. I live in western Queens,so it wouldn't make sense to drive at least 50 miles roundtrip to and from work every day.

I will file for the next DSNY exam(2011)if it goes as scheduled. They aren't going to reach my number by Feb/2012)

Well hopefully they will...keep your head up.....

Try Academy and Coach USA also. Pay ain't that great, but it's a start. Some one stated Dairyland, Tuscan, etc. Try all those. Americans get fatter as we get poorer. Why do you think you see so many obese poor people, but rich skinny people. Food will always be our poor peoples choice of a pillow to cry in. Milk, cheese (I've been cutting it all day), and eggs (I just laid one).........

Funny...yeah i was going to look into those companies.....but i found something interesting about poland spring so i might try them for experience...and i ask a driver directly and he said the pay wasnt bad although i believe he over exagerrated his pay scale....

Well hopefully they will...keep your head up.....

Funny...yeah i was going to look into those companies.....but i found something interesting about poland spring so i might try them for experience...and i ask a driver directly and he said the pay wasnt bad although i believe he over exagerrated his pay scale....

About Poland Spring,I think they make you sell as well as deliver. Route sales reps. I believe they have sales quotas as well. So they are making you do 2 jobs really.

You heard of Archway cookies right? I almost bought an Archway cookie route. I used to know a guy that owned one. Yeah in a way you are buying a job,but nothing beats working for yourself. Archway went out of business last year.

If I had the money I would buy a Pepperidge farm route(nets $1,500 week,3 days only)but $189,000 downpayment. One man operation,2007 Ford Step van included.

hmmm sounds good but i dont have that kinda money hehe.....i'm gonna apply to be a helper for private sanitation with my cdl b permit...any idea of their salary?

I am reposting this from another thread on here from somebody else. Helpers make less than drivers and do most of the grunt work. The only thing good about private sanitation is most of the work is at night,less traffic,etc.

"I was going to work for Waste Management. I thought that I would have been working as a helper on the garbage truck but it was a transfer station in the Bronx. That didn't work out for me because I asked for a transfer to Brooklyn to work on the truck for more money which is totally ok within company guide lines, only to be let go by them with no reason for doing so!!! They wouldn't tell me why they were letting me go! So now here I am unemployed dying for a job!"

"I got the job thru the website. It then said helper but was in fact laborer! Yes the pay is much lower for laborers as well! They don't have the same union as the drivers and driver helpers. Laborers pay is $10.90 hr and drivers is $24.00 hr to start with the driver helper starting at 17.00 hr! The trucks have 813 teamsters union! And yes Action did buy all of their trucking fleets in the city! They are also cheatin' the workers out of money at waste management! All of our job titles on the checks said sorter LOL! Sorters make $10.90 hr and Laborers are supposed to start at $12-$16 I was told by employees from another WM site! I'm no longer there so I don't care!

If you want to learn about the union or ask them questions go here.

http://www.teamsters813.org/index.shtml

Hey Locomotion...where do you start if you're interested in purchasing a route? I'm intrigued...is there a book or any other information online regarding this sort of business?

I used to work as a manager in a supermarket so I would come in contact with all the route people. For some reason,a cookie route appealed to me. The thing is you have to know how to sell,so you can add accounts. Maintaining a route is one thing,but you really want to add more accounts.

Stay away from vending machines. Just not worth it.

http://www.routebrokers.com/

http://www.mrrouteinc.com/

I have never owned a route before. I have owned a franchise before and it turned out bad. To make a long story short I had to pay a lawyer to sue Jani-King (commercial cleaning company) eventually we settled out of court.

I am reposting this from another thread on here from somebody else. Helpers make less than drivers and do most of the grunt work. The only thing good about private sanitation is most of the work is at night,less traffic,etc.

"I was going to work for Waste Management. I thought that I would have been working as a helper on the garbage truck but it was a transfer station in the Bronx. That didn't work out for me because I asked for a transfer to Brooklyn to work on the truck for more money which is totally ok within company guide lines, only to be let go by them with no reason for doing so!!! They wouldn't tell me why they were letting me go! So now here I am unemployed dying for a job!"

"I got the job thru the website. It then said helper but was in fact laborer! Yes the pay is much lower for laborers as well! They don't have the same union as the drivers and driver helpers. Laborers pay is $10.90 hr and drivers is $24.00 hr to start with the driver helper starting at 17.00 hr! The trucks have 813 teamsters union! And yes Action did buy all of their trucking fleets in the city! They are also cheatin' the workers out of money at waste management! All of our job titles on the checks said sorter LOL! Sorters make $10.90 hr and Laborers are supposed to start at $12-$16 I was told by employees from another WM site! I'm no longer there so I don't care!

If you want to learn about the union or ask them questions go here.

http://www.teamsters813.org/index.shtml

I guess i should specify when i apply that i'd like to be a driver helper huh?:(

I used to work as a manager in a supermarket so I would come in contact with all the route people. For some reason,a cookie route appealed to me. The thing is you have to know how to sell,so you can add accounts. Maintaining a route is one thing,but you really want to add more accounts.

Stay away from vending machines. Just not worth it.

http://www.routebrokers.com/

http://www.mrrouteinc.com/

I have never owned a route before. I have owned a franchise before and it turned out bad. To make a long story short I had to pay a lawyer to sue Jani-King (commercial cleaning company) eventually we settled out of court.

Hey, thanks for the info Loco...Sorry to hear about the experience with the francise....did you break even at least?

Hey, thanks for the info Loco...Sorry to hear about the experience with the francise....did you break even at least?

live and learn. The franchise fee was around 15k,to hire a lawyer cost me a little over $1,000,didn't break even,since we settled out of court for $13k. However it would have cost me a lot more in legal fees by taking them to court. The aggravation was the worst part. I wouldn't have received any money if I didn't hire a lawyer and threaten to sue them.

The worst part of the experience was being misled,lied to. They would take over 6% every month in royalties,but the main problem was I wasn't being paid all of the money that I was entitled to. They promised $3,000 a month worth of accounts,yet they only gave me half. This was part time work(evenings/weekends).

My mistake was (1)Not doing my research before signing the franchise agreement and giving them my money.(2)Not having a lawyer(one who specializes in business)to look over all of the documents and advise me.

live and learn. The franchise fee was around 15k,to hire a lawyer cost me a little over $1,000,didn't break even,since we settled out of court for $13k. However it would have cost me a lot more in legal fees by taking them to court. The aggravation was the worst part. I wouldn't have received any money if I didn't hire a lawyer and threaten to sue them.

The worst part of the experience was being misled,lied to. They would take over 6% every month in royalties,but the main problem was I wasn't being paid all of the money that I was entitled to. They promised $3,000 a month worth of accounts,yet they only gave me half. This was part time work(evenings/weekends).

My mistake was (1)Not doing my research before signing the franchise agreement and giving them my money.(2)Not having a lawyer(one who specializes in business)to look over all of the documents and advise me.

Well i wont be doing all of that but sorry to hear about that:( I just applied to waste management to be a helper or sorter.... I'm also wainting for MTA to have the open house for paratransit(hopefully soon).... I want to want until i have my airbrake endorsement to apply to Mr T. carting and some other places.

Archived