something i find strange about the R62/62As

I think its because when they were ordered they were originally single units, but later were combined into sets.

all R62/62As were originally single cars, but some R62As were not made into five-car sets. that is why i am asking why the R62As have their roll signs taken out while R62s do not.

There were complaints , from a very few passengers, that they boarded a (3) train when they wanted a (4) or vice-versa. They saw the end signs between the cars and never read the side signs. So....to appease those hapless souls it was mandated to change all the signs between the cars to blanks. Remember that some of those signs on the (4) hadn't been changed since the cars were linked into 5 car units so when those R62s went to the (3) there were a few cars with stuck end signs ( albeit between cars) and not on the ends. I imagine that when the R62As went from the (1), (3), and (6) lines to the (7) they had complaints over there as well. As posted earlier, all R62 and R62A cars were originally single units with end signs on both ends of the cars.

Archived