Multi-task engines

Blinkerdoors

Imagine if the put both power modes on at once...:eek:

It looks a bit bulkier than the alp-46, a bit taller as well. Looks like the trucks are similar. One pantograph. I'm glad they have something on paper. I just really hope they are as reliable as the alp-46.

- A

For one thing, Amtrak doesn't care about what pantograph to use on the Keystone. The front generally reduces wear as it pushes against the wire, but can easily snag down the wire. The rear increases wear despite it sliding along the wire, but in many cases the pantograph gets destroyed without the wire snagged. The newer engineers tend to use the front pantograph more than the older engineers since the order to "reduce wear" was implemented on all Amtrak Electrics not that long back.

That has since been revoked there is no rule out there anymore saying that Amtrak engines must have a certain pan up for reducing wear if that was the case then we would still see front pans up on NER's and LD trains. The rule has been out of favor for a while...

What did you mean by NER and LD? Also SEPTA cares about reducing wear over snagging down sections of catenary, which justifies why they have the front pantograph order on all AEM7s and the ALP-44.

North East Regional and Long Distance. Also the SEPTA units are in pretty sad shape...but thats an entire different story. They need some loving lets leave it at that.

In that case, I wonder how would it do when it snags the wire in the North River tubes...

Then they would call in a unit from NYP to drag it in, or it would run under its own power...what else could they do assuming it has passengers on it, they will need to be moved ASAP.

Depending on where it is in the tunnel would make the call, if they were close to NYP or Bergen they would turn it on to get it out(meaning it was near one of the portals) if not like I said they would bring something in to get it... They don't just leave trains full of passengers in tunnels that would be a media circus.

If it was a wire problem, they would probably turn one motor on for HEP, and one for traction, this way reducing any emissions while keeping passengers comfy & safe. I have seen a gennie sitting at the edge of the covered area at nyp fully on in idle (not low idle). If it's an emergency, theeasiest fix is obviously the diesel engines, simply go whichever way is fastest to exit. There is one fan plant you can see from HBLR that is equidistant from the center of the river and the tunnel entrance in NJ.

- A

I just hope these diesels don't turn out to be like the LIRR ones, resulting in extremely limited direct service for diesel territory.Other than that I am excited to see how this turns out. Especially for :rvl: which is screaming for direct service into NYP.

I just hope these diesels don't turn out to be like the LIRR ones, resulting in extremely limited direct service for diesel territory.Other than that I am excited to see how this turns out. Especially for :rvl: which is screaming for direct service into NYP.

You and me both, I'm hoping these things go through some major testing before put in revenue service, at least if they do fail NJT could convert half to Electric engines and half to diesel :)

The great thing about these new locos, is they will likely be able to have one of the 2 diesel engines running so no need for immediate rescue. Also, having 2 smaller engines means you can upgrade them without tearing the whole loco apart. This is good, because the switch to bio-diesel will likely happen on their watch.

Also, you have total flexibility for yard switching, you could put then at any of the yards. This will likely be what happens to a few of them.

- A

Uh? They are possibly the worst unit you could use for yard switching...that is going to remain a role of the geeps, with their cab configuration the way it is(being able to look both in front and behind you), what your saying is equivalent to using a PL42 as a switcher. Can they do it yes, but these things are being built for revenue service. The geeps serve both revenue and non revenue for NJT. Also they would not have bought the MP20's if they thought they would use these for yard work.

Uh? They are possibly the worst unit you could use for yard switching...that is going to remain a role of the geeps, with their cab configuration the way it is(being able to look both in front and behind you), what your saying is equivalent to using a PL42 as a switcher. Can they do it yes, but these things are being built for revenue service. The geeps serve both revenue and non revenue for NJT. Also they would not have bought the MP20's if they thought they would use these for yard work.

All true, just saying that they have an advantage if it ever came to that, not that it would be ideal, or that they would. :cool: Can't really dispatch a work diesel into NYP to pluck a disabled train out, can work under yard catenary with empty tank. Just saying that they will have those options if they needed it. :(

- A

Yeah, they could do that, but by the same fortune I think if something gets stuck in the tunnels that is primarily Amtrak's job to get it out, they usually keep power at NYP just for this but I could see them doing something like you mention especially if they have a really bad day where something gets stuck on the Empire connection due to an equipment shortage and has a P42 or a stalled train talk about what a bad day that would be.

Archived