Comparing the Silverliners to NYCTA

N-Trizzy2609

I've noticed the SEPTA Silverliners are very similar to the NYCTA equipment.

The Silverliner II were built by the Budd Company in 1965 and bear a strong resemblance to the R32's. Also built by Budd, the Silverliner II bears from the PRR years. They also use mangna track and GE propulsion.

The Silverliner III is the R38's distant cousin. It was built for the Pennsy but instead we late "Lateliners". These came in the Penn Central years. The R38's were also late in delivery and even overlapped some R40 Slants in delivery. The III and 38's were also built by St. Louis around 1968.

The Silverliner V's are also very similar to the M7s. The doors are different arrangement and both feature AC propulsion from Alstom.

Go :septa:!

Budd company of philadelphia, was one of the most diverse manufacturing companies up till its demise. It was the bombardier of its day, and everything it made, just lasts & lasted & lasted, and all of it was at the least, very interesting to look at. Alstom not so much. St. Louis car also has an air of quality in everything they made.

If the rroads could support them, you would see far superior products than we have today. Don't get me wrong, the newer stuff has some good product out there, some of which we get to see and utilize every day, however, this is one instance where "they don't make them like they used to". I have mad respec for the multilevel cars, the new LRV's, etc.... but... it's not the same.

- A

If you compare Silverliners to NYCTA, then why not also compare NJT's Arrow IIIs. The Arrow III ride is almost as shaky as that of an R32. The Arrow IIIs to me are much better than the Silverliners both in comfort and appearance. Nevertheless, the Arrow IIIs are extremely reliable and travels much faster than the Silverliner IVs. To me, the Arrow III is the best fleet Budd had ever designed.

If you compare Silverliners to NYCTA, then why not also compare NJT's Arrow IIIs. The Arrow III ride is almost as shaky as that of an R32. The Arrow IIIs to me are much better than the Silverliners both in comfort and appearance. Nevertheless, the Arrow IIIs are extremely reliable and travels much faster than the Silverliner IVs. To me, the Arrow III is the best fleet Budd had ever designed.

To bad Budd didn't design the Arrow III/Silverliner IV. GE did.

Budd lightweight railcars are their best. Allowed longer, faster trains.

- A

Archived