Some Arrow Action At Metuchen

What time about did you record that last train? Sometimes the express trains ride the local track the whole distance, other times they switch to the express sometime (it varies) after the airport. Since amtrak uses the express tracks 80% of the time & only goes local to stop at a station, you can sometimes have a train much farther back keep the (NJT) on the local track, this is mostly due to the EMU top speed of 80 mph vs amtk 110-125.

It could also have been a deadheading train to morisville yard, trenton, or jersey ave station or yard.

Just yesterday i observed 2 (NJT) EMU going NY bound from PA and they did not come back, nor did they stop for passengers, so i'm assuming they were off to sunnyside or jersey ave for weekend storage after a run from ny.

- A

Arrows are still the fastest on the express due to their accelerations! Budd designed them real well!

Yup, rather have an Arrow set on my express train any day rather than the slow dwell time and acceleration issues faced with using multilevels.

Yup, rather have an Arrow set on my express train any day rather than the slow dwell time and acceleration issues faced with using multilevels.

Agree, however, the fastest trip i ever took was on a 4x comet 5 consist pulled by alp-46 back in 2007. We got in 10 minutes early!

Why it was only 4 cars i'm not sure, probably just because the pax cars were not as numerous as thy are now combined with some other issue. I've caught 5 and 6 car trains often, but nowdays they seem to be at least 7 comet & 5 mlv.

The fastest local i took though was on a A3, and we got in nyp 4 minutes early.

- A

Archived