Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Maserati7200

Old School Number Plate on R68 #2755

I was at Coney Island and found an old school number plate on R68 #2755. I find this weird because the R68's weren't delivered with these number plates.

IMG_0625.jpg

Yeah 2755 has had that number decal for a while now. I remember seeing it on the (D) back in the late 90s, when it was the Brighton Local.

Nice catch, there's a story to that 2755 on the (D). That R68 car was involved in an accident on the (D) in 1993, on the side. That's just what I thought what happened to 2755, which is why those number plates appear as is on the (D).

nice catch, but i dont get it... When the R68 were born during the late 80s didnt they had the current plates?

That is one old sign, they'd need to change it, :P!

Nah, not really. It's still legible, and it serves its purpose. Most passengers don't care anyway.

That is one old sign, they'd need to change it, :P!

So? There's no purpose of that. So fancy shmancy with the signs. The only time it would need a replacement will be if it is seriously damaged or something.

Nice Find. The real story behind that was that in 1987, right before it was to enter revenue service, it was hit by a flatcar that damaged that side of the car. The original plates were destroyed in the accident. It stayed out of service for a long time because of a legal dispute between the MTA and Westinghouse Amrail (R68's builder) over who would pay to fix the car. For some reason that we are not going to find out soon, they did not come up with numberplates in the usual R68 font (I wish they would).

Well, just don't let the sign fall down, :P...

We don't need to go Fancy Shmancy with ths signs. We just need to sign to be clean and not like falling down, B)...

Why? It's intact! We can read the numbers!

What do the numbers Really mean any way i never knew that

To identify every single car, as separate from every other.

lol thats stupid i think

It's not. They take the numbers from retired cars. The retired cars are already abandoned. Why will they be needed? So might as well take the number away from them.