<4><5>

With regards to (C) to Lefferts, no they won't, just like Hillside Av didn't live with the (R) local and the (F) express.

On topic, the <diamond> used to represent a rush hour variant of a service, didn't matter if it was an express variant of itself or not. I personally believe it should make a comeback, but the MTA made the decision. But whenever I do my Trainz sessions, I always use a <5> for the peak express in the Bronx and a (5) for reverse peak (going to Flatbush). So some people have different ways of interpreting it, but it was mainly a rush hour thing.

One other reason why they may have gotten rid of it: The <6> and <7> existed during this time, but they weren't rush hour only services, yet still used the diamonds, if I recall correctly. So "technically," it wasn't the best usage of the sign in the MTA's eyes.

With regards to (C) to Lefferts, no they won't, just like Hillside Av didn't live with the (R) local and the (F) express.

On topic, the <diamond> used to represent a rush hour variant of a service, didn't matter if it was an express variant of itself or not. I personally believe it should make a comeback, but the MTA made the decision. But whenever I do my Trainz sessions, I always use a <5> for the peak express in the Bronx and a (5) for reverse peak (going to Flatbush). So some people have different ways of interpreting it, but it was mainly a rush hour thing.

One other reason why they may have gotten rid of it: The <6> and <7> existed during this time, but they weren't rush hour only services, yet still used the diamonds, if I recall correctly. So "technically," it wasn't the best usage of the sign in the MTA's eyes.

So in general, the diamond now means an express variant on the same route.

The dotted line routes are "part time extensions" meaning that they are extended to X from Y only during a certain time.

Allright allright i'll stop

but the why not make the <G> For when it runs to Forest Hill

Because there's no other variant of the line if it runs to Forest Hills. The (6)<6> and (7)<7> are literally two variants of the same exact line. The (A) and (C) are technically two different lines because they have different terminals. Similarly, an extension of a line is still the same line; no need to redesignate those.

They won't make the <G> or <A> because those are not actual express runs. (7) and <7> distinguish services that run the same route but make different stops. The <A> would just be a different branch that only runs during rush hour but its no more "express" than a regular (A). Just like a (G) to CTL is no different than a (G) to court in terms of the stops it makes along the way, it's just a longer version. It's not like the (G) skips every other stop along the crosstown line when it goes to CTL, then in that case it might deserve a diamond...

Less diamonds = less confusion for passengers. Most railfans can figure it out but remember the system is designed for "lowest commen denominator" aka the dumbest of the dumb...because even stupid people know how to file a frivolous complaint when they get off at the wrong stop...

Less diamonds = less confusion for passengers. Most railfans can figure it out but remember the system is designed for "lowest commen denominator" aka the dumbest of the dumb...because even stupid people know how to file a frivolous complaint when they get off at the wrong stop...

People still get off the wrong stop regardless if its a circle or a diamond.....diamonds didn't confused ppl...they just lacked common sense for which way the train goes. If they can't tell the difference b/w two different symbols and/or an express or local route, then its their stupidity. It wasn't nothing wrong with the <5> @ all!

People still get off the wrong stop regardless if its a circle or a diamond.....diamonds didn't confused ppl...they just lacked common sense for which way the train goes. If they can't tell the difference b/w two different symbols and/or an express or local route, then its their stupidity. It wasn't nothing wrong with the <5> @ all!

Hey not saying I don't agree with you just saying that's why it is the way it is...believe me I'd love to see some of these people try and function riding the El cars with a sign on the front, a sign on the back, a conductor yelling the destination, and...wait for it...marker lights and no PA system.

that would be some good comedy

Hey not saying I don't agree with you just saying that's why it is the way it is...believe me I'd love to see some of these people try and function riding the El cars with a sign on the front, a sign on the back, a conductor yelling the destination, and...wait for it...marker lights and no PA system.

that would be some good comedy

Good comedy was when b4 the red diamond and green circle over the rollsigns (7)<7> was when then C/R yells <7> EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS like 10x and yet ppl still ask "Is this going express or local". *facepalm* B)

Diamond Elimination Programme.

There's really no need to have the diamonds.

umm pardon me lol, but the Pelham Express <6> and Flushing Exp <7> is diamond. So why cant the White Plains Rd Express <5> get it, especially as the <5><6><7> has something in common, they go express peak direction.

Maybe the <5> was killed cuz the (MTA) considered the <5> as Rush hr only to Flatbush instead of Express in the Bronx? =/

Same thing for the (D) they should of kept the <(D)> as its also a Peak direction express on Concourse, although it could be useless seeing that the roll signs dont get changed by T/O. Doesn't the R68 have <(D)>?

_____________________-

I wish the <5> wasnt eliminated, it eased confusion between a Dyre Ave train from a 238-WPR train, but now its a little confusion now, EVEN IF the LEDs on the side states the destination.

Damn (MTA)!!!

As for the <4> it was just to show the diamond during rush hrs to show it skipped 138th, which i find a waste of money to have the (4) skipping 138, i mean just 1 stop?? unless there was an express service on the Jerome Line then thats diffrent.

As for the <4> it was just to show the diamond during rush hrs to show it skipped 138th, which i find a waste of money to have the (4) skipping 138, i mean just 1 stop?? unless there was an express service on the Jerome Line then thats diffrent.

The reason the (4) skips 138 has to do with easing delays along the line if (5) trains get backed up at 138 or in the curve because they have to wait for lineups into Mott or for a (2) to clear out...making the 4 skip 138 puts it on a different track and gives things time to clear up before you have a parade of trains back into 125 and the RCC working frantically to get those lineups set and keep things moving.

Good comedy was when b4 the red diamond and green circle over the rollsigns (7)<7> was when then C/R yells <7> EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS like 10x and yet ppl still ask "Is this going express or local". *facepalm* B)

Ahhh yes, the good old days...

umm pardon me lol, but the Pelham Express <6> and Flushing Exp <7> is diamond. So why cant the White Plains Rd Express <5> get it, especially as the <5><6><7> has something in common, they go express peak direction.

Maybe the <5> was killed cuz the (MTA) considered the <5> as Rush hr only to Flatbush instead of Express in the Bronx? =/

Same thing for the (D) they should of kept the <(D)> as its also a Peak direction express on Concourse, although it could be useless seeing that the roll signs dont get changed by T/O. Doesn't the R68 have <(D)>?

_____________________-

I wish the <5> wasnt eliminated, it eased confusion between a Dyre Ave train from a 238-WPR train, but now its a little confusion now, EVEN IF the LEDs on the side states the destination.

Damn (MTA)!!!

The <5> in Brooklyn made no sense. It is just a part-time extension. They want to keep things consistent. Same with the B. It is not express, why put a diamond? The G used a dotted line service on the map for the QBL route and as the map states, it is a part time extension. So hence, the elimination. The <5> in the Bronx: it runs as an express from 149th to 180th, then it has two routes, the rush hour route to Nereid and the main route to Dyre. Again, they want things to be consistent. The express portion deserves a diamond, but however it has the potential to become the route along Nereid, which is just a part time extension. People would associate that all diamond fives would head to Nereid and not Dyre or something. So a circle route would suffice. The WPR route became a dotted line service. And the express 5 is not an express version of itself, there's no local fives in the same direction, I believe. The same with the diamond D, when it goes express, all of the D in that direction goes express, no local. The B becomes the local. It's not an express version of itself. The 6 and 7, however, have express versions of itself. That's why they require the diamond to differentiate between local and express.

The 4-bypass is needed. It can create a bottleneck, 5 trains need to switch out, no?

The <5> in Brooklyn made no sense. It is just a part-time extension. They want to keep things consistent. Same with the B. It is not express, why put a diamond? The G used a dotted line service on the map for the QBL route and as the map states, it is a part time extension. So hence, the elimination. The <5> in the Bronx: it runs as an express from 149th to 180th, then it has two routes, the rush hour route to Nereid and the main route to Dyre. Again, they want things to be consistent. The express portion deserves a diamond, but however it has the potential to become the route along Nereid, which is just a part time extension. People would associate that all diamond fives would head to Nereid and not Dyre or something. So a circle route would suffice. The WPR route became a dotted line service. And the express 5 is not an express version of itself, there's no local fives in the same direction, I believe. The same with the diamond D, when it goes express, all of the D in that direction goes express, no local. The B becomes the local. It's not an express version of itself. The 6 and 7, however, have express versions of itself. That's why they require the diamond to differentiate between local and express.

The 4-bypass is needed. It can create a bottleneck, 5 trains need to switch out, no?

I still dont think so, its like the <(A)> diamond when they had it for Rockaway Beach and it was meant for RH. Same for <(M)> when it went down west end to Bay pkwy but RH. Im mainly talking about the Maps, but same could apply to them..

LMAO!!! That and the conductor telling people the entire time from Canal St to South Ferry to be in the first five cars to exit there and there would still be people who sat there not knowing what was going on.

Archived