MTA hands union list of 600 who face layoffs

CPBO

MTA hands union list of 600 who face layoffs

BY Glenn Blain and Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 4:00 AM

"The public and our workforce are beginning to get impacted," Metropolitan Transportation Authority CEO Elliot Sander said. "We need Albany to act."

Next stop: curtailing bus service this summer, including eliminating nearly two dozen local routes in the city.

Gov. Paterson and the Legislature have failed for months to agree on a transit-funding package to help close massive, and growing, budget gaps at the state-funded authority.

Paterson and Assembly leaders support a package with tolls on East and Harlem river bridges.

Senate Majority Leader Malcolm Smith (D-Queens) has a toll-free version with a $1 surcharge on taxi rides.

The Senate may vote on Smith's plan next week, but its fate is uncertain.

Subway and bus fares are set to rise by up to 30% on May 31; commuter train fares jump the next day.

The 600 workers, mostly bus drivers and maintenance crews, would be out of work in two months.

Another 500 subway and bus workers could be let go if additional funds aren't found to avert cost-cutting measures in the December budget.

The MTA may adopt new fiscal plans in just a few months detailing a second wave of service reductions and fare hikes.

Nearly 40 cabbies drove to Albany Tuesday to protest against a surcharge, saying it would hurt business.

pdonohue@nydailynews.com

:P:eek::confused:;):cry:

The real people who should get the axe, are the ones who drove the company into the hole it is in today. If the big bosses foreseen the future budget deficits, why did they continue to waste money on capital projects, new buses and trains and blowing millions on renaming a bridge that has no profitable effect.

If you guys go to http://seethroughny.net and look up all the NYCTA employees payroll, there is over 1000 managers making 6 figures. Eliminating half of them should fix the budget problem.

The real people who should get the axe, are the ones who drove the company into the hole it is in today. If the big bosses foreseen the future budget deficits, why did they continue to waste money on capital projects, new buses and trains and blowing millions on renaming a bridge that has no profitable effect.

If you guys go to http://seethroughny.net and look up all the NYCTA employees payroll, there is over 1000 managers making 6 figures. Eliminating half of them should fix the budget problem.

Yo that is sick.....I punched in my name and it came up......:eek:

This can't be legal, isn't this a violation of my privacy?

This can't be legal, isn't this a violation of my privacy?

Think again Julio,it is perfectly legal my friend. It is public information. We are living in the information age.Who pays their salaries? Us,the taxpayers. I can't wait to see when they list base salaries+ot,then we will all be in shock.

If you're a public employee your pay is public record.

Think again Julio,it is perfectly legal my friend. It is public information. We are living in the information age.Who pays their salaries? Us,the taxpayers. I can't wait to see when they list base salaries+ot,then we will all be in shock.

:confused::cry:

However it doesn't list anyone above Supt. in (MTA)bus These are the ones making at least $100,000 to mess up everything including adding twice the supervision to the depot. We have 24hr. dispatchers for a depot w/o 24hr. service. That's the problem (MTA)'s secret. Don't let the public know what it really costs to over manage and under service the public. Not to mention the take home cars that these bosses are given(NYCT)

Archived