Oxford University bans stepladders in 400 year old Libaray

Kamen Rider

This is totally pathetic, if they cannot use the items on the top shelves, then why call this Library a Library? Call it a historic landmark or just install a new system similar to the ones in a vending machine and let the books fall into a bucket and lower the bucket til' a student/librarian can take the book out of the bucket. Simple as that and that'll save students from paying for a damn flight to another country!

Not with books as old as that, no. And it's still a library even if you can't reach the top shelf. And London is in the same country as Oxford.

This is pretty pathetic. I mean if you can't trust adults to climb a ladder, which has been done for ages...

Not with books as old as that, no. And it's still a library even if you can't reach the top shelf. And London is in the same country as Oxford.

This is pretty pathetic. I mean if you can't trust adults to climb a ladder, which has been done for ages...

It's not just libraries that are doing that. Nowadays you can't trust adults to climb a ladder, and if you think about transit and the way the windows open, you can't trust them to open a window safely and not stick body parts out it. You can't trust them to walk between cars. You can't trust a 20 year old to drink alcohol but 2 years before that you could've sent him to Iraq with a helmet and a gun. Yet you can't trust soldiers to keep "their rifle" they have to put them away when not in use now. You also can't trust sports to police themselves, no you need CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATIONS on the taxpayers dime into steroids and calling players in congress to testify under oath about steroids.

It sucks. There are a lot of people in this country who just want to take everything stick it in bubble wrap and make life boring and completely undo the concept of "survival of the fittest" so we keep stupid people around who would otherwise "disappear" by legislating stupidity out of existence which doesn't work because it just sticks around and shows up in other more harmless but equally annoying ways more often.

This story is one of those times. more bubble wrap please...

Some comedian once said in their bit:

"you know, lets take all the obvious warnings off of everything, like the one for not looking into the sun though a telescope and stuff, you know just to weed out.... the lowest common denominator, bring the standard up a little.."

I'm paraphrasing, but that's basically the premise of the joke. :)

- A

Some comedian once said in their bit:

"you know, lets take all the obvious warnings off of everything, like the one for not looking into the sun though a telescope and stuff, you know just to weed out.... the lowest common denominator, bring the standard up a little.."

I'm paraphrasing, but that's basically the premise of the joke. :)

- A

George Carlin? :cool:

This is totally pathetic, if they cannot use the items on the top shelves, then why call this Library a Library? Call it a historic landmark or just install a new system similar to the ones in a vending machine and let the books fall into a bucket and lower the bucket til' a student/librarian can take the book out of the bucket. Simple as that and that'll save students from paying for a damn flight to another country!

I don't think Oxford would want to invent a book vending machine. They do have that in Spain, but I'm not sure how they will blend in with an antiquated library.

But bear in mind though, shelves without books woould be weird. There's an effect to it when every shelf is filled.

Archived