Preserved/Restored buses and transits in New York

Windy

Howdy all!

I've done a fairly extensive search on google for transport museums in New York, and the New York Museum of Transportation and the MTA Museum have come up as the major locations, but they don't seem to be the location where any heritage buses are on display or exist. So my question to those out there is... what ex NY transits have been preserved or restored to "as new" condition, and where could I ride/photograph/view them?

I already have plans to go around Canada in search of Fishbowls, including speaking with Big Blue Bus in California regarding their heritage Fishbowl (which seems to be the last one built). I'm just keen to see what the older units are and see what the preservation scene is like over in the States. I know that Maine has a transport museum with quite a few preserved streetcars and the like, but is there anything closer?

Thanks in advance :D

The NYCT museum bus fleet is only put on display two to three times a year. The museum buses are stored at various depots in NYC. The MTA runs them in service on MJQ routes in December, and puts them on display at the Bus rodeo (The one this year was cancled due to the MTA having money problems) and bus fest which take place in October. I belive the museum buses are restored at the Zeraga CMF in the bronx.

Thanks for that... MJQ routes? CMF? So there is no way of viewing the museum buses without either prior appointment? Do the musuem buses also come out for enthusiast tours or charters?

Thanks for that... MJQ routes? CMF? So there is no way of viewing the museum buses without either prior appointment? Do the musuem buses also come out for enthusiast tours or charters?

MJQ = Michael J Quill Depot. Thats a Depot located on the west side of mantthan. CMF = Central maintenance facility is where they do overhauls, repaints and stuff that like on the buses. I don't know about your other two questions, sorry.

To my knowledge the (MTA) doesn't hold any charters or special trips with the buses with the exception of the nostalgia bus route thing (the one where they put old buses on current routes for a few days.) The buses are only on display for bus fest (and thats only a certain amount of them), NYCT Roadeo, and the MTA Bus Roadeo. Other than that the buses are stored away from view from the public or atleast its hard to see in their respective depots.

It has been told to me, by various bus drivers and TA personal that there are a few barns throughout Queens and upstate that have several fishbowl buses still around. I heard there are about 15 additional buses that the public does not know about. Some are still blue, and the others are white. I am not sure how true this is, but it will not surprise me. If anyone has info, let us know.

Archived