7 line equipment question

traildriver

I'm somwhat new to these forums and I am wondering if one of you experts can confirm my perception:

I am regularly a rider of the E and F trains which have used R32's and R46's and lately the new equipment.

Occasionally I ride the 7 line which I believe uses R62's.

It seems to me that when the doors close on the IND cars, there is a few seconds delay for the air to release before the train starts to move, while on the IRT, as soon as the doors close the train starts to roll immediately.

Am I imagining this or is it true, and if so why? It seems that a few seconds multiplied over many stops can add up to a faster local schedule.

It can be due to a few other factors. For example, the conductor opens the doors on both ends of the train (since he's in the middle) at the same exact time, but when the train is leaving he has to close the doors one one end first before the other end. It might be a coincidence that your end on the (E)(F) was the first end to be closed, and someone is holding the doors on the other end.

I've noticed this too and it has to do with the mechanics of the train.

If you peer into the cab of an R62/A versus a 75 footer such as the R68, the brakes are applied the same way and released the same way as well. The air pressure I believe causes a very minimal delay versus a R62.

However, this doesn't apply to all trains. The NTTs (New Technology Trains) have the exact same delay in the brakes releasing. If not, then it's the doors that are causing the delays.

Are you guys referring to the terminals? I know for a fact that the T/Os need to preform a small air release test before pulling out of the station. All of the trains have to do this...usually.

But, in general, the best thing is to compare the 62s and 68s, as there were built during the late 1980s. I don't feel the difference in the departures. Some times it could be technique.

I am not referring to the initial terminal departure, just the routine stop. When the doors close on the E and F, you can hear the air pressure releasing for a second or so, then the train rolls. On the 7 train, it sort of feels like you are "power-braking" your automobile for a quick get-a-way....as soon as the door closes, the train seems to jerk into motion immediately, with no dwell for air to release at all.

Perhaps the 7 line runs a tighter schedule and its TO's have to really be on their toes?

Archived