R142 (2) Bronx Local | (5) Bronx Local/Express question

mark1447

Hey, I got a question, why does the IRT Division uses "BRONX EXP" or "BRONX LCL" instead of "WHITE PLAINS RD LCL" or "WHITE PLAINS RD EXP" for the (2)(5)<5>.

Is it because most of the line doesn't use WPR till Bronx Pk East plus the (5) Dyre doesnt go on WPR, only 238th trains? Or to help prevent passenger confusion? Or because "WHITE PLAINS ROAD (Lcl/Exp) would be too long for the LED on side of the car? Of course they can shorten it to like WPR Lcl(Exp) or White Plains Lcl(Exp).

I also notice that the <4> Jerome Exp Piolate program has the R142/As LED set to "BRONX EXP" instead of "JEROME EXP" which makes it sound like the (4) is a WPR train, similar to the <6> Before which was "BRONX EXP" but now "PELHAM EXP"... Hopefully the <4> gets a fix on that.

Thats a good question.

My best guess is that the stupid people might not know what "JEROME EXP" means. But if the see "BRONX EXP" they are assured it is running express in the Bronx. Like if someone does know where Jerome avenue is

Agreed, although the (N) isn't advertised as Sea Beach Local, but instead as Sea Beach Express, although there is no express service along Sea Beach but really along 4th Avenue. The (Q) is advertised as Brighton Local, not Brooklyn Local. Makes me wonder....

MTA Signs are funny. Notice how (W) trains are advertised as "Astoria Lcl," when in reality, their trunk line is "31st St", because that's where most of its stops in Queens are, along 31st St. As for the (5), since most of them do go to Dyre, they're probably not going to use "White Plains," and I guess they didn't want to use "Southern Bl" either because it only makes two stops on it, and neither "Westchester Av", because then that could possibly be confused with the (6). I don't know why they don't use "White Plains Rd" for the (2) or the <5>, it would make sense. But now if they start to implement this <4> train full time, they're going to have to distinguish between the two trunk lines, which means "Bronx Lcl/EXP" has to go. Someone brought up a good point as to why they changed "Brooklyn Express" to "Eastern Pkwy EXP," when there's only one IRT trunk line in Brooklyn, yet they only refer to Pelham as its own trunk line in the Bronx. MTA signs are just funny. Most of the above is just my opinion.

MTA Signs are funny. Notice how (W) trains are advertised as "Astoria Lcl," when in reality, their trunk line is "31st St", because that's where most of its stops in Queens are, along 31st St. As for the (5), since most of them do go to Dyre, they're probably not going to use "White Plains," and I guess they didn't want to use "Southern Bl" either because it only makes two stops on it, and neither "Westchester Av", because then that could possibly be confused with the (6). I don't know why they don't use "White Plains Rd" for the (2) or the <5>, it would make sense. But now if they start to implement this <4> train full time, they're going to have to distinguish between the two trunk lines, which means "Bronx Lcl/EXP" has to go. Someone brought up a good point as to why they changed "Brooklyn Express" to "Eastern Pkwy EXP," when there's only one IRT trunk line in Brooklyn, yet they only refer to Pelham as its own trunk line in the Bronx. MTA signs are just funny. Most of the above is just my opinion.

They could of used "WESTCHESTER LCL/EXP" instead of "PELHAM LCL/EXP" on the (6) seeing it runs all over Westchester from Whitlock to Pelham bay. Saying "PELHAM LCL/EXP" make it sound like the (6) is a Pelham parkway local or exp.. So thats also a bit confusing, but then again the (2)(5) runs down westchester from Jackson to Simpson, dunno if thats the problem...

Agreed, although the (N) isn't advertised as Sea Beach Local, but instead as Sea Beach Express, although there is no express service along Sea Beach but really along 4th Avenue. The (Q) is advertised as Brighton Local, not Brooklyn Local. Makes me wonder....

I've wondered about that myself

I've wondered about that myself

As for the (N), if you look on Youtube for a video of an R160B (D) train, the sign for there displays:

(D)|West End EXP

Which means that whether or not you're going local or express on 4th Av determines whether you are your trunk line's local or your trunk line's express.

But if you ride the (N) during late nights, you'll see that they replace "Sea Beach Lcl" with "via Whitehall" anyway, so the only time you'll see "Sea Beach Lcl" is if you go local on 4th Av via the Bridge. This is one of the times when the R160 suffers from only displaying 3 signs on a Program at a time.

Why they don't display:

(M)|West End Lcl

is beyond me, but like I said, the MTA's signs are funny.

And, as for the (Q), it's been known as the Brighton Line for as long as I can remember, so they use "Brighton Local" instead of "Brooklyn Local."

The (2)/(5) aren't differentiated in terms of local or express service along White Plains Road. Putting White Plains Road Express would advertise skipped stops along White Plains Road, rather than along Westchester Avenue. The Pelham Line, or <6>, runs Express to Pelham Bay, which advertises skipped stops along the entirety of the route.

I'm guessing that the (2) or (5) dosn't run on one main street between Jackson Avenue and East 180 Street before they branch of into their own lines.

The (2) could display WAKFEILD LCL and the (5) could display EASTCHSTR EXP.

When the (5) is bound for 238 Street, it could display WAKEFEILD EXP

MTA Signs are funny. Notice how (W) trains are advertised as "Astoria Lcl," when in reality, their trunk line is "31st St", because that's where most of its stops in Queens are, along 31st St.

No, the line itself is named the BMT Astoria Line, not the 31 St Line, hence the "Astoria" label. Using that logic, the (7) would be called the "Roosevelt Av Line," but it isn't, is it?

Someone count the number of spots on one of those LCD signs. Is there enough space to fit WHT PLNS RD EXP? If there is, TA could certainly do it.

No, the line itself is named the BMT Astoria Line, not the 31 St Line, hence the "Astoria" label. Using that logic, the (7) would be called the "Roosevelt Av Line," but it isn't, is it?

Someone count the number of spots on one of those LCD signs. Is there enough space to fit WHT PLNS RD EXP? If there is, TA could certainly do it.

Oh, ok. Well, there's your logic for the (Q) being the Brighton Local. And, the (2)/(5)/<5> run on Southern Blvd & Westchester Av between East 180th St & 3rd Av-149th St.

Oh, ok. Well, there's your logic for the (Q) being the Brighton Local. And, the (2)/(5)/<5> run on Southern Blvd & Westchester Av between East 180th St & 3rd Av-149th St.

Acually you mean 174th to The Hub(149), West Farms Station is on Boston Road.

Im guessing the use of Bronx Lcl/Exp is perfect a bit seeing that theres to much to decide on what street to use for the line, even tho technically its the WPR Line. I wouldn't call it Southern Bl. Lcl/Exp seeing thats just 2 station. But could work i guess seeing the (J)(M)(Z) is Nassau St Lcl/Exp for just 1 station Bway/Nassau..

Acually you mean 174th to The Hub(149), West Farms Station is on Boston Road.

Im guessing the use of Bronx Lcl/Exp is perfect a bit seeing that theres to much to decide on what street to use for the line, even tho technically its the WPR Line. I wouldn't call it Southern Bl. Lcl/Exp seeing thats just 2 station. But could work i guess seeing the (J)(M)(Z) is Nassau St Lcl/Exp for just 1 station Bway/Nassau..

Sorry...I'm not very fluent in the Bronx IRT as I am in the Brooklyn.

The Nassau St. Point that you made is the exact reason why I call the <5> the Southern Bl EXP in my Trainz simulations. But, like you said, Bronx is the option right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived