Is a pardon on the way for MLB all time hits leader Pete Rose and going to HOF?

Shortline Bus

Wow a sense of timing. Here this morning NY Daily News article that MLB boss Bud Selig is laying the framework of banned MLB legend Pete Rose finally being able to be elected for the Baseball Hall of Fame as early as July 2010. Here story.

MLB commissioner Bud Selig mulling pardon for hit king Pete Rose

BY Bill Madden

NY DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, July 27th 2009

COOPERSTOWN - Thanks to the behind-the-scenes lobbying from some of the most influential Hall of Famers, commissioner Bud Selig is said to be seriously considering lifting Pete Rose's lifetime suspension from baseball.

Under this possible deal still being developed, Rose could be inducted to the Hall as early as next summer in July 2010.

The tip-off that Selig may now be inclined to pardon baseball's all-time hit king was Hank Aaron's seemingly impromptu interview session with a small group of reporters in the lobby of the Otesaga Hotel on Saturday. In declaring for the first time that he would want an asterisk put on the achievements of any steroid cheats elected to the Hall of Fame, Aaron brought up Rose, who, in August of 1989, was given a lifetime ban for gambling on baseball, saying: "I would like to see Pete in. He belongs there."

It is no secret that Selig considers Aaron one of his closest friends and values his opinions over perhaps all others. It was also learned by the Daily News that in a meeting of the Hall of Fame's board of directors at the Otesaga later on Saturday, two of Rose's former teammates on the board, vice chairman Joe Morgan and Frank Robinson, also expressed their hope that Selig would see fit to reinstate Rose.

Said another Hall of Famer familiar with the situation: "I think a lot of the guys feel that it's been 20 years now for Pete, and would lean toward leniency and time served. If he had admitted it in the first place and apologized way back then, he'd probably be in the Hall by now."

According to another source, the behind-the-scenes lobbying process began five years ago, but stalled because Selig was still not satisfied that Rose was "reconfiguring" his life, as the late commissioner Bart Giamatti had instructed for him to do when he initially placed him on baseball's permanent ineligible list. In addition, the source said, Selig's conditions for any reinstatement would be stiff. Rose likely would need to make another public apology and he would be prohibited from managing.

If Selig does reinstate him, Rose then would become eligible for the Hall of Fame, but on the Veterans Committee ballot, as his 15 years on the Baseball Writers ballot expired during his time on the ineligible list. He would thus have to be elected by his peers, the 65 living members in the Hall of Fame, not all of whom agree with Aaron, Morgan and Robinson that Rose has done his time. It's hard to say if he would get the necessary 75% for election. "I know there are still guys who feel strongly against him," said one Hall of Famer, " who asked not to be named and I don't know if that would change even if Selig clears him."

Nevertheless, it is beginning to look as if Rose will at least finally get Hall of Fame consideration, at the same time the Hall of Famers are taking an even harder stance on all the steroids cheats. "Believe me," said Reggie Jackson, to a couple of writers, "that little session Hank had with you guys was anything but impromptu. He wanted to get that out there. It was time."

c)2009 NY Daily News?

So for any MLB or sports fans on here does Pete Rose belong in Baseball Hall of Fame despite gambling and betting on his own team(to win)?

i think pete rose should be reinstated if u let steroid guys in and gaylord perry why not in the 60s and 70s pete rose was one of the poster boys for baseball and played a 150 percent everytime he put on the cleats the hall of fame is a joke if the all time hit leader is not there

Hall of fame should now be just be for " players that played at levels above the rest " or " allstars " because betting, steriods, juicing come on now...nothin is natural anymore just let people vote integrity and honor isnt even the strong hold of society now...so let him in arod B. bond whoever it doesnt matter just who ever played very well.

Hall of fame should now be just be for " players that played at levels above the rest " or " allstars " because betting, steriods, juicing come on now...nothin is natural anymore just let people vote integrity and honor isnt even the strong hold of society now...so let him in arod B. bond whoever it doesnt matter just who ever played very well.

I do agree that the 'sportsmanship and conduct/personal behavior' clause should be taken off.

I do agree that the 'sportsmanship and conduct/personal behavior' clause should be taken off.

The hall of fame is for athletic accomplishment, not moral standards setting. Joe jackson should be on there too.

- A

Thank you for seeing my logic lol.

I mean they should be just famous for what they have done for sports, the bars they set, and records broken. Not for how less-sinful they are. please..

Thank you for seeing my logic lol.

I mean they should be just famous for what they have done for sports, the bars they set, and records broken. Not for how less-sinful they are. please..

Sports players from greats like pete rose and babe ruth and so many in between are human beings.

Just common sense. Men from drunks to cheats and even racists are already in the HOF. That sportsmanship rule is foolish.

It is amazing the degree to which baseball is a hypocritical fraternity. Don't get me wrong, I like the sport, but it is also the only sport that obsessed over its hall of fame. For NHL, NFL, and NBA, hall of fame is simply a matter of "this guy was voted in" and the response is typically "I Remember him, he had a nice career...good for him!" only in baseball do you get this ridiculous crap where someone gets in and it's "OMG! NO! He was SUCH a product of his home ballpark! His OPS was .106 higher at home than on the road! He hit 63% of his career home runs at home! So and so was MUCH more balanced!" and so on...

Hypocritical crap.

Not to mention this is a Hall of Fame that already contains known cheats such as Spitballers, etc. Pete Rose is the all time hits leader. It's an absolute joke and sham by a bunch of "holier than thou" writers, pundits, etc. that people still feign outrage over the fact he betted on games, whether or not he had a hand in deciding the outcome or not. Come on now, you don't think basketball players over the years have shaved points in blowouts to help betters (maybe even themselves or friends) cover spreads?

Only in MLB. He bet on the game, fine, banned, he can never work in it again. But Hall of Fame? That's ridiculous and banning him from the HOF does nothing except make baseball and the self-righteous "hall of fame handicappers" look stupid

/end rant

I agree 1000% Subway Guy on your comments about Rose. Also another great point by Adequect about Billy Martin being in the HOF as a Manager.

Hey both Earl Weaver(1970 Orioles) and Leo Durcher(1954 NY Giants) only won '1' world series as skippers and yet they both in the HOF. Sadly Martin's brillance as a skipper will be overshadowed by his drinking problems and the Bronx Zoo days. Billy took '3' different teams Twins, Yanks and A's to the ALCS. Not to mention improve the Tigers in the '70's as well.

Again we not looking for mother teresa or Pope John Paul II to be elected. Just the best baseball players ever.

Pete Rose did something stupid, but that should not distract from the fact that this man has more hits than any man who played the game. The idea that the man who has more hits than any baseball player is not in the HOF is absurd to me. And by the way, he did not use steroids to get there (like Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod, McGwire, Manny, etc).

Pete Rose did something stupid, but that should not distract from the fact that this man has more hits than any man who played the game. The idea that the man who has more hits than any baseball player is not in the HOF is absurd to me. And by the way, he did not use steroids to get there (like Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod, McGwire, Manny, etc).

The Pete Rose situattion is another example on why i really dislike Bud Selig.

Kids look at sports stars as role models, I don't think there is nothing wrong from banning players from the HOF for not being moral.

Well there are lines you just don't don't cross, and then there are lines people put there to make an example out of someone. I think PR is victim of the second type. I think anyone with functioning logic would realize that people make mistakes and no one is perfect. Plus, how long has it been.......

- A

Well there are lines you just don't don't cross, and then there are lines people put there to make an example out of someone. I think PR is victim of the second type. I think anyone with functioning logic would realize that people make mistakes and no one is perfect. Plus, how long has it been.......

- A

Kid's don't think like adults. I think it's unrealistic to expect that from kids.

- A

Pete Rose 'lifetime ban' and losing his Reds Skippper job in process began in August 1989 almost exactly 20 years ago.

I didn't know who was this guy until I saw him on WWF WM 14 and 15 when he got beat up by Kane....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFcRwRSyi8

BJC intresting video lol. The 'curse' is over in Boston for the Red Sox lol. I know how much you love the WWE and not surprised you would match these 2 connections. However please can we let us stick to baseball. I do know people like Pete Rose who are huge pro wrestling fans though.

Archived