Is it just me or did the R110A power up?

NYtransit

If you ask me, I think that the best place to house any museum collection would be at a subway yard. I'm sure that there is some unused space at some subway yard and that would be a good place to hold the trains, for instance, Coney Island or 207th Street.

What about using the shell of the South 4th street station in Brooklyn? It has 4 tracks so it could fit more trains. Just a thought..

Where is that exactly? I've heard about it but never seen it, not even a picture.

Where is that exactly? I've heard about it but never seen it, not even a picture.

Somewhere in Brooklyn. I've seen pictures of it. It's basically a concrete skeleton with bare platforms. What would need to be done is to add tracks (it has space for 6 tracks), decorate the station and connect it with some other point in the system. It intersects with Broadway on the (G) and was supposed to be part of the IND 2nd system.

Somewhere in Brooklyn. I've seen pictures of it. It's basically a concrete skeleton with bare platforms. What would need to be done is to add tracks (it has space for 6 tracks), decorate the station and connect it with some other point in the system. It intersects with Broadway on the (G) and was supposed to be part of the IND 2nd system.

Oh, that place? I think I've seen it, now that you've mentioned it. At the north end of the southbound platform there are a whole lot of girders and beams but that may not be the place. That would be a good spot for a transit museum but the museum fleet changes over time so there is variety so maybe so much space isn't necessary. But that's just my say.

So, back to the thread about the R110s before the rapidly-multiplying spawn posts about transit museum locations get larger in number...

I know that the R110A's are permanently coupled in five-car sets, where the middle car is an non-powered trailer car and the other four have traction motors. Are those couplings really "permanent," or could the sets be uncoupled and shorter sets be made to fit the platforms on the 42nd-Street Shuttle line? If that were possible, three three-car consists could be made from the former ten-car consist, with another car left over for spare parts or if one of the other cars was to require repairs. Just an idea to throw out there...

So, back to the thread about the R110s before the rapidly-multiplying spawn posts about transit museum locations get larger in number...

I know that the R110A's are permanently coupled in five-car sets, where the middle car is an non-powered trailer car and the other four have traction motors. Are those couplings really "permanent," or could the sets be uncoupled and shorter sets be made to fit the platforms on the 42nd-Street Shuttle line? If that were possible, three three-car consists could be made from the former ten-car consist, with another car left over for spare parts or if one of the other cars was to require repairs. Just an idea to throw out there...

They can be uncoupled. Just keep in mind that they are not really "coupled", they are just linked together. If necessary they can separate all the cars if they wanted to and make shorter sets.

They can be uncoupled. Just keep in mind that they are not really "coupled", they are just linked together. If necessary they can separate all the cars if they wanted to and make shorter sets.

I just remembered that you still only have two operating cabs in a five-car set, so shorting up the sets and making another set wouldn't work on the 42nd-Street line. There would still only be enough cabs to form two consists. But with the extra cars now, perhaps spare parts could be used or cars could be swapped in a set in the event of necessary repairs.

Still, I don't see any of this being cheap enough to justify having these trains see revenue service again.

I just remembered that you still only have two operating cabs in a five-car set, so shorting up the sets and making another set wouldn't work on the 42nd-Street line. There would still only be enough cabs to form two consists. But with the extra cars now, perhaps spare parts could be used or cars could be swapped in a set in the event of necessary repairs.

Still, I don't see any of this being cheap enough to justify having these trains see revenue service again.

That's all that's needed during the day anyway. The shuttle only uses all three consists during rush hours.

I do hope that they will get around to rennovating the TS end of the shuttle so a 5-car train can run on it than 3 and 4-car trains.

Also on a related note, if tracks 1 and 3 are 5-car trains: will there still be a need for track 4 or will they close that off?

They'll leave it open. During rush hours the shuttle will need to operate all the trains it can.

Oic, I thought the S would be fine so long as there was a total of 10 cars running.

And if the needed to speed up service, they should have the trains 'meet' in the middle of the street than having one train terminate at GCT and then the other train leaving. [Granted I forgot what the operation is like during the rush hours, as I only rode the S during the middays.]

Although a C/R class could perform door operations or troubleshoot certain malfunctions on it. Actually new T/Os could use the same training. As far as road ops R110-R142-R143-R160 if you qualify on one you are qualified on all AFAIK.

Nope. Separate qualifications for R142/142A, R143 and R160. There is no longer a qualification for the R110. New T/Os are not qualified on R143 cars during their training; if and when they pick a job on the L, they will be qualified on R143 and CBTC together.

When you transfer from the B to the A there is only 2 classes of equipment, R62 and R142 type. SMEE and NTT, so when a class can't get a train to practice on in Livonia Yard they walk over to Pitkin Yard for a train.

No A Division class will ever go to a B Division location to operate with two exceptions:

Classes at Van Cortlandt will take trains into 207 Yard to wash them.

Classes at Woodlawn will take trains into Concourse Yard to wash and lay-up.

Nope. Separate qualifications for R142/142A, R143 and R160. There is no longer a qualification for the R110. New T/Os are not qualified on R143 cars during their training; if and when they pick a job on the L, they will be qualified on R143 and CBTC together.

No A Division class will ever go to a B Division location to operate with two exceptions:

Classes at Van Cortlandt will take trains into 207 Yard to wash them.

Classes at Woodlawn will take trains into Concourse Yard to wash and lay-up.

Thanks for clearing up some mis-info but the instance of NLY to Pitkin Yard I mentioned wasn't clear enough. The class of C/Rs walked down Linden Blvd from Livonia to Pitkin and I passed them in the street. I talked to the instructor, who I've known for years, and he told me what happened at Livonia that a.m. I hope that I didn't leave the impression that they were going to operate over the road . As far as equipment qualifications I leave that up to you and school car. I have been assigned to the IRT my whole career but I've operated trains over IND/BMT trackage many times in my time down here. Worked transfers back in the '80s where if there was no B division operator available the desk trainmaster would tell us to keep moving from Concourse to 207th or Coney Island. My partner and I O.K.d a slant consist in 207th St yard and took it, ready for service, to Concourse yard for a.m. rush service. That's what I meant about being qualified to move similar equipment. Obviously nowadays they want a piece of paper for each type of equipment but they weren't as strict back then.

To me, it seems like a waste, because they are still "new", and have yet hardly been used at all. And how much does each cost? Millions?

I know they were prototypes, but for one thing, there was talk about Kawasaki making the 110A's compatible with the 142's. They have the same dimensions, and probably similar electronics, but then that could always be stripped out and redone. Physically, I think they used a different coupler (more similar to the M7 cars?). But that could be changed too. (I only hoped that they would leave the unique seating).

IAWTP The prototype R-11s were modified to become R-34s which enabled them to run with other SMEE equipment for a good while longer. It would not have been a bad idea for the R-110As to have been modified to run with R-142s which would have increased fleet size of in the A Division and extended the life of the expensive R-110As. I don't know if it's possible at this point considering what shape they're in after sitting dormant for this many years.

IAWTP The prototype R-11s were modified to become R-34s which enabled them to run with other SMEE equipment for a good while longer. It would not have been a bad idea for the R-110As to have been modified to run with R-142s which would have increased fleet size of in the A Division and extended the life of the expensive R-110As. I don't know if it's possible at this point considering what shape they're in after sitting dormant for this many years.

They're basically mothballed. They've just been sitting around since the late 1990s. They could be brought back into service but they were known for giving break problems and it makes barely little sense to demothball just one train type. Like I said, school cars is most likely their future.

There is one solid difference between the R11 and R110A: the R11 was supposed to be the first cars out of a much larger order, while the R110A was just a prototype to test out new technology. Putting them back in service would be more costly than what its worth. Basically, the (MTA) would be losing money instead of saving money. I admit I'd like to see it in service but there is no financial incentive for the (MTA) to do so.

They're basically mothballed. They've just been sitting around since the late 1990s. They could be brought back into service but they were known for giving break problems and it makes barely little sense to demothball just one train type. Like I said, school cars is most likely their future.

This isn't the same as the mothballed Redbirds which were able to return to service on short notice in the event of a fleet-wide problem with the new R-142/A fleet. Lessons learned from the R-46 Rockwell truck fiasco. These R-110As could not be brought back into service without work being done on them AFAIK. Otherwise, it would probably have already happened since there have been times in the A Division where additional trains would have been useful.

As for schoolcar, it's already been noted by others that they won't be used as schoolcars since T/Os and C/Rs are no longer qualified on them.

Archived