Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Pu3rToRoCk8947

Was there a Springfield Gardens station on the LIRR?

I have one curious question for anyone here that may know the answer.My uncle tells me that their existed another station past St. Albans called Springfield Gardens.I have traveled on that branch on my way towards Babylon a few times and i havent seen any evidence of platforms.He tells me there was and i am not disputing what he says.He has been living in the area for 38 years and he says evidence is still there,i haven't seen it yet.Can anyone provide me with any info?

There was once a Springfield Gardens Station. Traveling on the branch, I believe that the tracks still separate a little to accommodate the former island platform that's now demolished.

There was once a Springfield Gardens Station. Traveling on the branch, I believe that the tracks still separate a little to accommodate the former island platform that's now demolished.

That is correct. Pretty much nothing remains of the station as it was completely demolished.

Where the platform was is still very visible, The tracks separate, and the ballast between appears lighter. I presume this is because it is mixed in with platform bits from the old station.

Springfield Gardens would lie directly above Springfield Blvd. on the Montauk Branch to which is adjacent to Laurleton Station on the Atlantic Branch. With lack of patronage, the station was closed in favor of the Laurleton Station. If you ride the head end, or rear end, look out either one of those windows as long as you have a railfan window, and look to where the double trackage gaps out a little with spacing in the middle, and that's where the former station was. The station like Laurleton, and St. Albans was a center-island platform, and closed in the early 1970's.