Canada Line Virtual Tour (One Month Till Opening)

MTR Admiralty

These photos aren't mine because I never went to Vancouver. These photos are from this site called Canada Line Photography. Credits go to the photographer. My sole purpose of using these photos are to take you guys on a virtual tour of this line:

So here we go:

Vancouver:

Waterfront Station

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

Vancouver City Centre

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

Yaletown-Roundhouse

KICX5768.jpg

KICX5786.jpg

Olympic Village

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

Broadway- City Hall

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

Prince Edward

KICX6007.jpg

KICX6016.jpg

KICX6012.jpg

KICX6018.jpg

Oakridge-41st (Incl. Test Run)

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

Langara-49th

IMG_1115.jpg

Marine Drive

KICX6418.jpg

KICX6413.jpg

KICX6440.jpg

KICX6417.jpg

More continuing...

Richmond Branch stations and Bridgeport Station on the to-be-completed Canada Line:

(Once again these photos are from Canada Line Photography)

Bridgeport: (Airport Branch trains continue to YVR from here, other trains head to Richmond-Brighouse)

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

KICX6719.jpg

KICX6721.jpg

KICX6722.jpg

Aberdeen

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

Lansdowne

KICX5919.jpg

KICX5923.jpg

KICX5943.jpg

Richmond-Brighouse

KICX5900.jpg

KICX5896.jpg

KICX5904.jpg

More photos from Canada Line Photgraphy. These stations are amongst my favourites for aesthetic reasons. So here is our last leg of this tour:

Templeton

KICX6102.jpg

KICX6105.jpg

KICX6139.jpg

KICX6122.jpg

KICX6125.jpg

KICX6159.jpg

Sea Island Centre

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

YVR-Vancouver International Airport

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

Hope you enjoy the tour!

The line will open EXACTLY next month.

Much thanks to photographer(s) who made this tour possible to us.

Wow, nice! The system looks so sleek and modern, especially that tunnel shot. I don't know why NYCT is obsessed with painting everything in the system black. It makes everything look that much more dingy.

Yup, well of course. It's just being built!

But the lighting and the ambiance gives a more positive feeling for the riders. It's psychology. Many architects these days want to have more "natural light" or have these modern aspects in their work in order to invoke a positive feel in those people. If the SAS gets through, it might look something similar to this.

By the way, these railcars are FULLY AUTOMATED. Yes, Vancouver folks are very lucky to have RFWs. (Mark IIs on SkyTrain lines and the ROTEM trains here on the Canada Line)

More photos from Canada Line Photgraphy. These stations are amongst my favourites for aesthetic reasons. So here is our last leg of this tour:

Templeton

KICX6102.jpg

KICX6105.jpg

KICX6139.jpg

KICX6122.jpg

KICX6125.jpg

KICX6159.jpg

Sea Island Centre

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

YVR-Vancouver International Airport

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

Hope you enjoy the tour!

The line will open EXACTLY next month.

Much thanks to photographer(s) who made this tour possible to us.

these pics look so nice. the front of the cars kinda look like the airtrain, lol.

**Due to the fact that work has been completed ahead of schedule, the opening day will be on the 17th August 2009, 10 days from now. This is the second date change. The line was supposed to open on the 30th of November, then the date was moved to the 7th of September.**

Wow, Canadians work fast.

these pics look so nice. the front of the cars kinda look like the airtrain, lol.

They kind of do, due to the large railfan window.

AirTrain JFK and the Canada Line use very similar -- but not identical -- technology. AirTrain uses the Bombardier ART Mark II cars with linear induction motors, whilst the Canada Line uses Rotem vehicles with traditional motors.

AirTrain JFK uses the exact same technology as SkyTrain and the Scarborough RT in Toronto. Mark IIs are called ALRV. This is the same technology that will be used for Metro Vancouver's Evergreen Line.

Despite the two different technologies, the Canada Line is branded as a SkyTrain line.

I've followed this project tightly for at least 3 years, watching progress happen. From what I learned a couple months before, after reading some documents:

-The 98 B-Line will be cancelled as the Canada Line fully will replace it. The 98 B-Line was a very advanced bus rapid transit line, it runs from Downtown Vancouver all the way to Richmond. It was unreliable for airport trips though, as passengers must make a change at Airport Station (which is nowhere close to the airport) for another bus that goes straight to YVR.

-A few local lines will emerge upon the completion of the Canada Line, some will be community lines

-2 new B-Line bus lines will take shape. However the 95 Hastings bus has no relation to the Canada Line.

Following the completion of the line, there are plans to build in-fill stations:

-33rd Avenue

-59th Avenue

-YVR 3

In addition, the segment along Sea Island (airport branch) between Templeton and SIC will be covered by a proposed runway. Broadway-City Hall has space for a new line above the current line. This space is for the Millennium extension to UBC.

After completion, all attention will be focused on the Evergreen Line. Work should begin next year. The provincial government will study the feasibility of the Millennium extension.

This makes me want to go there...I'm not that far from there! and I hope I do get pics if I do go there, which may be a while from now...

Hey, go there on the 17th by plane. The train will be sitting there for you at YVR!

By the way, trains are fareless on Monday. But if you take a bus or cross over to SkyTrain, pay up.

Hey, go there on the 17th by plane. The train will be sitting there for you at YVR!

By the way, trains are fareless on Monday. But if you take a bus or cross over to SkyTrain, pay up.

Sure...but with school starting a month or so earlier than Public schools in NYC...I think you can figure it out...

Nice find of the Canada-Line Preview Photos. I am definently loving this line, it has a sleek, artistic and streamlines archietect design to it. The railcars even make it look better, guess it is a great example for future rail systems in and around Canada and US of America.

Agreed, however despite its looks, there are many controversies about the line.

First of all, the line could've been built along Arbutus Street, since the street was prepared for rapid transit. The reason why Cambie was chosen was many popular destinations were closer to Cambie than to Arbutus. Another issue raised is the size of the trains. These trains are only 40 metres long, IINM. Most platforms could be extended to 50 metres. It may work out for the first 20 years, but soon, overcrowding can be an issue. The Expo/Millennium lines are currently extending their trains to 6 cars. Lastly, the cut and cover excavation caused many businesses along Cambie Street to suffer greatly. That is why restoration of Cambie Street and No. 3 Road (Richmond) was necessary after most of the construction was over.

To be honest, the designs of the stations and the railcars aren't new. These architectural practices exist since the last decade. Sir Norman Foster produced many great examples of fine rapid transit-related architecture. Santiago Calatrava is another popular architect in this field. Design elements found in the Canada Line are seen on the Millennium line stations. This architecture is a reaction to the solid, Cold War-ish and Modernist designs. Contemporary architecture connects the human mind with nature. Light and airy and wavy are all techniques used to make this happen. These will continue to be used.

I have to say though, these stations are much more graceful than the ones on the Seattle Link rail stations. While it may seem I am comparing apples to oranges, look at Tukwila/International station and compare it with the likes of YVR, Sea Island Centre or Templeton. These stations are elevated, but there is a lighter image cast by the Vancouver stations that the one in Seattle.

Well, I don't mind the controversies, it is just very nice and better than Seattle Link. I just feel that these archietectural designs are Modern and airy, no matter when it is strated to be designed. Because these designs are more popular these days then say before 2001. But good to hear that the SkyTrain is getting 6-car length. I only saw a maximum of four running, but still a great idea considering a lot of residents living around the Mall, Surrey and City and the overcrowing happening during rush hour, lunch and tourist season.

No, these design elements were popular even before 2001. Look at the Millennium Bridge and Canary Wharf Station in London. I have books on modern architecture and I've seen these examples well.

Only Mark II trains are getting extended. More and more Mark II trains are being delivered/ordered.

By the way, guys, here's a note on the Skytrain fare structure:

There are 3 zones:

*All of Vancouver proper and the University Endowment Lands fall into Zone 1

*Richmond, the Airport, Burnaby, New Westminster, South Fraser University, North and West Vancouver, Lions Bay and Lonsdale fall into Zone 2

*All remaining areas in the lower Mainland: Coquitlam, Port Moody, Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Delta, Surrey, White Rock and Langley fall into Zone 3

Fares (like the DC Metro, peak fares are more expensive than off-peak fares)

"Peak" fares: (start of service to 6:30 pm)

1 Zone: C$2.50

2 Zones: C$3.75

3 Zones: C$5.00

"Off Peak" fares and weekdays/holidays (After 6:30 pm)

Flat fare of C$2.50

Fares for Skytrain now (including Canada Line) is done by POP. However the province wants Skytrain to use automatic fare gates. Each of the Canada Line stations reserved space for this fare collection technique.

Thanks for the info as well as the examples. It was popular but not hot in the early days but now the designs are hot. And good to hear that more Mark II cars are being ordered and delivered. Gotta love those cars.

I believe the additional cars will be used for the train expansion and for a possible Expo Line extension. The Evergreen Line will also use similar cars as it will use Skytrain technology when it is completed. I can't be too sure, but they may retire the Mark Is.

Guys, opening day is one week away!

Archived