Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Pu3rToRoCk8947

Low nose snow plow on future SIRT R179's?

I know the MTA is proposing a R179 subway car class,this ofcourse needs available funding and studying.I noticed the low nose snow plow piece on the front of commuter railcars and yet the modified R44's don't have them installed.Do you think these modified R179's will have this feature?

I don't think they need it because whenever there's some severe weather, the SIR for some odd reason is ALWAYS running.

I remember last winter, there was just a little bit of wind and snow & the entire LIRR mainline was knocked out of service, there was issues on the Northeast Corridor, Metro-North was having some problems of their own, the Brighton Line had debris on the track, yet the SIR is always running perfectly normal. I don't think I've ever seen a service advisory for the SIR even in the worst of weather.

The snow plow or "pilot" isn't just for snow, it's for obstructions too. I believe the FRA may require them this time next equipment that comes in.

- A