Riders, MTA brace for transit workers' 'day of outrage'

Harry

Transit workers will hold protest rallies on Wednesday while officials - and riders - brace for job actions, slowing subways and buses.

Transport Workers Union Local 100 has declared a "day of outrage" over the MTA's refusal to pay raises awarded in August by an arbitration panel.

The union's Web site urges transit workers to "Give them a taste of hell!" without specifics.

"Obviously, we are prepared," Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Jeremy Soffin said yesterday.

Strikes or slowdowns are illegal under the state's Taylor Law, and the MTA in the past has responded with court orders mandating the union to obey.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/10/14/2009-10-14_riders_mta_brace_for_twu_day_of_outrage.html#ixzz0TuYMUhRt

post-1-133288581077_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581077_thumb.jpg

That poll is very much a loaded question.

Look at the choices:

"Do you approve of the Transit Workers Union's 'day of outrage'?

36% Yes. The members of the TWU have a right to protest.

64% No. The subways and buses are slow enough - we don't need more delays."

I guarantee if instead of "No, the subways and buses are slow enough - we don't need more delays" it had said "No, the union members do not have a right to protest the MTA's reneging on legally binding arbitration" the response percentages would have been very different.

I guarantee if instead of "No, the subways and buses are slow enough - we don't need more delays" it had said "No, the union members do not have a right to protest the MTA's reneging on legally binding arbitration" the response percentages would have been very different.

You think most people understand what "reneging on legally binding arbitration" means? I mean really...we have people in this country that cant find Europe on a god damn map...

You think most people understand what "reneging on legally binding arbitration" means? I mean really...we have people in this country that cant find Europe on a god damn map...

OK fine.

"backing out of legally binding arbitration that it agreed to"

it was the point of the post, not necessarily the wording that i was going for

OK fine.

"backing out of legally binding arbitration that it agreed to"

it was the point of the post, not necessarily the wording that i was going for

I'm not going after the wording itself either. I just don't think the public could understand the issues if they tried. Why? Intelligence draining performed chiefly by the media. You call that union evil enough times and people will start to listen.

I'm not going after the wording itself either. I just don't think the public could understand the issues if they tried. Why? Intelligence draining performed chiefly by the media. You call that union evil enough times and people will start to listen.

Hey these are the f***tards that still think Goldman Sachs is good for the economy. Goldman Sachs does nothing except rob from the poor for the gain of the wealthy who just hide it offshore and don't pay taxes. AND Goldman Sachs pays hardly any taxes too. Then they get gov't money from you, so they've basically robbed you twice. Meanwhile, guess which people will have to make up the deficit when them not paying their fair share of taxes makes the dollar worthless?

Then they pay themselves 23 Billion dollars in bonuses in a recession while many are unemployed or underpaid, or getting paid for less than 35-40 hours a week.

Why do they think Goldman Sachs is good? Media told them to. Dumbasses.

I think if the average New Yorker knew what the current salaries of govt workers are, compared to private sector workers doing similar work, there would be even less sympathy to the TWU's cause.

Private sector workers make more than public union workers.

Im talking similar fields of work, construction vs track work, bus drivers vs airport shuttle guys, etc. Obviously businessmen and executives and stuff make more.

Outside contractors make more than NYCT employees...true of infrastructure, signals, etc.

Also the 2nd part of your post...that's a huge problem today. Rather than standing up and fighting the RIDICULOUS salaries of these BANKSTER CROOKS, which have a ripple down effect in every job in the economy, the public just TAKES IT and the poor fight each other over working wages.

For instance, TWU wants a wage increase and a store clerk fights it because he didn't get one. Store clerk wants one and his customer fights it because she's a librarian and didn't get one. People we end up screwing ourselves when that happens. ALL wage increases for ALL working people are good, let the BANKSTER crooks figure that out the hard way and go after them but support each other first.

Im talking similar fields of work, construction vs track work, bus drivers vs airport shuttle guys, etc. Obviously businessmen and executives and stuff make more.

Yes. They still make more. One of my co-workers does the same work I do but he is a contractor and makes more than me and some other co-workers.

Outside contractors make more than NYCT employees...true of infrastructure, signals, etc.

Also the 2nd part of your post...that's a huge problem today. Rather than standing up and fighting the RIDICULOUS salaries of these BANKSTER CROOKS, which have a ripple down effect in every job in the economy, the public just TAKES IT and the poor fight each other over working wages.

For instance, TWU wants a wage increase and a store clerk fights it because he didn't get one. Store clerk wants one and his customer fights it because she's a librarian and didn't get one. People we end up screwing ourselves when that happens. ALL wage increases for ALL working people are good, let the BANKSTER crooks figure that out the hard way and go after them but support each other first.

But yet if everyone got the same increase, the value of the money would decrease. If you gave everyone in the country one million dollars, suddenly its not worth anything. The idea that everyone should make the same amount of money is a decades old fantasy that has been tried in parts of hte world and all it leads to is everyone suffering equally, and you will still have a wealthy ruling class that you so despise

But yet if everyone got the same increase, the value of the money would decrease. If you gave everyone in the country one million dollars, suddenly its not worth anything. The idea that everyone should make the same amount of money is a decades old fantasy that has been tried in parts of hte world and all it leads to is everyone suffering equally, and you will still have a wealthy ruling class that you so despise

Not true at all. See these economic arguments are what kill me. Who teaches you this crap? Answer: THE RICH. Because spouting this kind of garbage is what serves their self-interest.

No one is saying everyone should make the same (seriously, show me where I said that...because I didn't). But when executuive and BANKER pay goes up at literally hundreds times the rate of the average WORKER's pay, there is something wrong here. Now they call it class warfare because the "not wealthy" are fighting back. But yet where was all this talk of class warfare when the tax on the wealthy got cut, when banks got bailed out for making bad mortgages when the people who took them on were losing their homes? It wasn't there.

And the value of the money will not decrease because you pay people more. The value of the money decreases either because you print too much of it, or because you run a trade deficit for the better part of 2+ decades because you outsourced every production job possible to foreign countries and you now pay THEM to make what Americans used to make, and what used to go to Americans as their salaries and as their corporate profits. All this Reaganomics crap you here about "supply and demand" and protecting the money supply went out the window already. If it's all about supply and demand tell me why do gas prices keep going up when there is low demand and high supply? It's because the banks are screwing you and they want to keep making profits by driving prices up. The rise in oil prices at the pump is just a side show effect of that.

And the only solution for the working man is to make things less expensive, or to pay them more. since governments are paranoid of deflation for the ridiculous economic arguments people make, that won't ever happen, so the working man will have to fight for more pay and fight for fewer fees, and fight for everything because nothing in life is handed to you unless you are rich.

I'm curious based on your attitudes what your background is since you tend to side against workers most times...but i assure you if you are "upper middle class" you still fall into the bucket with "the rest of us" and you'll see pretty soon what it's really like out there. you seem like a young guy (it says 22), don't know if you've started work yet, but when you really see what it's like you'll understand.

Not true at all. See these economic arguments are what kill me. Who teaches you this crap? Answer: THE RICH. Because spouting this kind of garbage is what serves their self-interest.

No one is saying everyone should make the same (seriously, show me where I said that...because I didn't). But when executuive and BANKER pay goes up at literally hundreds times the rate of the average WORKER's pay, there is something wrong here. Now they call it class warfare because the "not wealthy" are fighting back. But yet where was all this talk of class warfare when the tax on the wealthy got cut, when banks got bailed out for making bad mortgages when the people who took them on were losing their homes? It wasn't there.

The banks arent the only one to blame for the bad mortgages, the government pressured the banks to provide loans to low-income people to equalize home ownership, but yet people dont HAVE to own a house, theres a credit culture in this country that everyone has to have what they cant afford and they run up huge amounts of their own debt. Are the banks to fault for making credit come so easy? to an extent yes, but people also need to learn financial responsibility and self control.

And the value of the money will not decrease because you pay people more. The value of the money decreases either because you print too much of it, or because you run a trade deficit for the better part of 2+ decades because you outsourced every production job possible to foreign countries and you now pay THEM to make what Americans used to make, and what used to go to Americans as their salaries and as their corporate profits. All this Reaganomics crap you here about "supply and demand" and protecting the money supply went out the window already. If it's all about supply and demand tell me why do gas prices keep going up when there is low demand and high supply? It's because the banks are screwing you and they want to keep making profits by driving prices up. The rise in oil prices at the pump is just a side show effect of that.

and yet, the one solution to cheaper oil supplies, domestic drilling is never offered. Its shouted down from both sides, the oil companies and the environmentalist whackos.

And the only solution for the working man is to make things less expensive, or to pay them more. since governments are paranoid of deflation for the ridiculous economic arguments people make, that won't ever happen, so the working man will have to fight for more pay and fight for fewer fees, and fight for everything because nothing in life is handed to you unless you are rich.[/Quote]

But yet we are thankful to live in a society where noone is stuck in the same economic class all their life, people can go to school, get an education and clime the social and corporate ladder. Even people at the top can lose it all.

I'm curious based on your attitudes what your background is since you tend to side against workers most times...but i assure you if you are "upper middle class" you still fall into the bucket with "the rest of us" and you'll see pretty soon what it's really like out there. you seem like a young guy (it says 22), don't know if you've started work yet, but when you really see what it's like you'll understand.

I currently am in college, and work part time at a retail store. If you want to know my beliefs, I can sum it up, I am a conservative. Ive never been in support of class warfare or getting back at the rich, what they do is their business, I am in charge of myself and my own destiny. You can take out of that whatever you like.

The big thing I dont get abotu the (MTA) conflict is, where is the money coming from? Is it going to result in higher fares, or higher taxes? Will they raise the bridge tolls again? Will it go out of the capital improvement budget?

See my comments in red:

The banks arent the only one to blame for the bad mortgages, the government pressured the banks to provide loans to low-income people to equalize home ownership, but yet people dont HAVE to own a house, theres a credit culture in this country that everyone has to have what they cant afford and they run up huge amounts of their own debt. Are the banks to fault for making credit come so easy? to an extent yes, but people also need to learn financial responsibility and self control.

The problem with that is what people are encouraged to do. People were encouraged to do this. It was part of the American culture of borrow and spend. You can't fault people who didn't know better when a dishonest banker tells them that "this adjustable rate mortgage is the perfect package for YOU" to get your home. There is a reason there are laws against false advertising and yet the same standards do not apply when people are approved for loans they never should be. Or when people are making their payments, but because banks are having trouble recouping payments from "other" borrowers that their payments shoot up to the point they can't make them anymore. And the banks are very much at fault for making credit come so easy. If I loan $5 to someone who has a high chance of not paying me back, that's on me, not on you or taxpayers.

and yet, the one solution to cheaper oil supplies, domestic drilling is never offered. Its shouted down from both sides, the oil companies and the environmentalist whackos.

That doesn't solve the underlying problem. You dont' think domestic oil is going to be bought, sold, inflated, made into derivatives, rebought, and resold until the price is almost as high as the foreign stuff?

But yet we are thankful to live in a society where noone is stuck in the same economic class all their life, people can go to school, get an education and clime the social and corporate ladder. Even people at the top can lose it all.

Ah, the rags to riches theory. This is the part where someone tells me how smart Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are and "anyone can make it." But yet lost in those 1 in a million stories are the countless people who never even get a fair shake because of their economic life. Kids who can't afford to go to college because it's too expensive. People who can't start their own business because they don't have the startup money. People who work their entire lives to pay bills and never really can set much aside for retirement. Meanwhile it's "fair" that some billionaire can hike your interest rate .25% because he's only going to make 200 million this year and not 300 million? And yes people at the top can lose it all, but it happens far less often than you might think. I grew up in this city and I've seen rich kids who are absolute burnouts and yet mommy and daddy still pay for everything and someday they will inherit it all. Maybe that used to be true, but nowadays it is harder than ever to move up or down (unless you're not wealthy, then it's REAL easy to move down).

I currently am in college, and work part time at a retail store. If you want to know my beliefs, I can sum it up, I am a conservative. Ive never been in support of class warfare or getting back at the rich, what they do is their business, I am in charge of myself and my own destiny. You can take out of that whatever you like.

No problem with you being conservative, but the rich don't care what your beliefs are and they are still screwing you whether you want to screw them back or not. You may think you are in charge of yourself but where do you go when you want healthcare, when you need to put your money away, etc? Do you own your own home or do you rent? And where does all that money you pay go? And who sets those rates? Do you negotiate or do you just have to take whatever you can get?

The big thing I dont get abotu the (MTA) conflict is, where is the money coming from? Is it going to result in higher fares, or higher taxes? Will they raise the bridge tolls again? Will it go out of the capital improvement budget?

Where the money should come from is the city and the state. NYC funds way less than its share (even just a few years ago) of transit...meanwhile Bloomberg's pet projects get the money, his staff gets raises every year. Where should city money come from? Raise taxes on the wealthy and large corporations who can afford it. People fear this will drive business away, but it won't, because try being a "top tier" company explaining to your clients why you don't have a New York office. Plus there will always be people in this city so those business NEED New York if they want to reach a lot of people.

See my comments in red:

Where the money should come from is the city and the state. NYC funds way less than its share (even just a few years ago) of transit...meanwhile Bloomberg's pet projects get the money, his staff gets raises every year. Where should city money come from? Raise taxes on the wealthy and large corporations who can afford it. People fear this will drive business away, but it won't, because try being a "top tier" company explaining to your clients why you don't have a New York office. Plus there will always be people in this city so those business NEED New York if they want to reach a lot of people.

Theres stuff we do agree on, I for one agree the culture of getting people to spend way over their means thanks to easy credit caused a lot of the problem, as early as high school people need to teach kids to be finanically independant and to manage their money, but yet I beleive there are people out there with the vested interest in keeping the population dependant on something, be it welfare, loans, debt, etc. When you control people's money, you control them.

As for the Millionares Tax, I do think it could go both ways, perhaps the businesses will maintain offices there, I do think the people who can, will move out to the suburbs, Theres defenately a possiblity they will stay and suck it up.Theres a lot of people here out on the Island who were moving out the first opportunity they can, however the places they were moving to got hit harder than New York did so thats sorta slowed down. You have to take the good with the bad here, the bad is the taxes are outrageously high compared to the rest of the country (except for maybe California) but at least New York tends to weather the economic storm better than other places.

Theres stuff we do agree on, I for one agree the culture of getting people to spend way over their means thanks to easy credit caused a lot of the problem, as early as high school people need to teach kids to be finanically independant and to manage their money, but yet I beleive there are people out there with the vested interest in keeping the population dependant on something, be it welfare, loans, debt, etc. When you control people's money, you control them.

Yup you pretty much summed it up there in bold. Also a big reason, in my opinion, why education is being dumbed down at every level. The less people know, the less they will be aware of how much they are being set up to get screwed.

Also, I wasn't told of any good "borrowing" practicies until college after I decided to study in business (and I hate it and want out, but I digress). Most people never get that lesson, and I don't think it's a coincidence. I would've been smart about it anyway because I learned from my parents, but still. You'd think someone would say something at some point. Nope...not until I was 20 years old and could have already had a credit card for 2 years and done some serious damage to my credit if I didn't know better.

As far as TWU is concerned, this "dumbing down" is why the general public doesn't appreciate the union and sides against them. Only when there is massive unemployment and desolate cities except for the 4 investment bank buildings bustling with 20 hour a day workers on salaries and a single Starbucks in every city fueling them with mocha frappa wappa crappa lattes will it be apparent that somewhere, someday, someone REALLY messed up.

Anyway gotta run it's been real. Good luck to TWU in the fight and if it takes me longer to get home, you won't hear a peep of complaint outta me.

Im interested to know if Bill Thompson has said that he would help out the MTA if elected. I think at this point its going to take a guy with Guliani-like courage to take on a corrupt system and change it for the better. Especially for the (NYCT) its going to take a guy with vision that says, these projects will be done on time, who respects the system and its employees, who can cut the pork and secure the proper funding so everyone is happy.

Archived