Conductor stops on a dime when woman falls on tracks

CPBO

http://www.nypost.com/video?vxSiteId=a89dc16f-1771-485a-8c76-3ebbf3072361&vxChannel=PostUsFeed&vxClipId=Jpeb850727&vxBitrate=700

Talk about a close call!

An apparently blind-drunk Boston woman was nearly killed after she stumbled onto a train track -- but a quick-thinking conductor was able to pull to a stop with just inches to spare.

MBTA Orange Line operator Charice Lewis was hailed as a hero yesterday after she spotted fellow passengers frantically flailing their arms on the platform of the North Station Friday night, the Boston Globe reported today.

Dramatic surveillance video shows the woman stamp out a cigarette, stumble and then topple onto the tracks below, where the train nearly crushed her as it pulled into the station.

“It was so close, I thought it was not good,’’ Lewis, a 27-year-old train operator, told the paper. The woman was not harmed, but she told police she had been drinking for several hours before the near-miss.

Lewis and a MBTA employee who called her from the platform, Jacqueline Osorio, have been called heroes. Both were recognized by state Transportation Secretary Jeffrey Mullan on Monday and received a call of congratulations from Gov. Deval Patrick.

Wow, great job by the crew. I could have sworn that she tried to kick the third rail, looks to me that she was trying to commit suicide. I mean look where she was at the platform. She should be charged with public intoxication at the very least. Thank god she wasn't behind the wheel of a car.

Wow, talk about being very lucky. It did look like she made contact with the 3rd rail and that train stopped in just the right place other wise she would have been wheel meat. This like this are one of the main reasons why I always have a flashlight in my backpack while on the train. I'm glad that this story had a happy ending, but I hope the drunk gets some tickets for trespassing, public drunkeness, and disorderly conduct.

Then it must be a glitch in the Matrix.

Could be. For some reason Boston does not have a cover when they could, their 3rd rail shoes are the same style as NYC. Chicago could not since they used a shoe that is directly over the 3rd rail. Never the less she is very lucky.

After a review of video with several people the conclusion was, yes she did. There are several seasons why she did not get fried, rubber sole shoes, her clothing, and one other that I can't remember right now.

I watched the video a few times and couldn't tell myself if she had. I'll definitely take your word for it though. In any case, she's lucky her idiocy didn't cause her own demise.

If the T/O hadn't stopped when she did, there would have been two deaths. Because the guy standing on the edge of the platform would have been decapitated or suffered a severe head injury.

Yae for real....You seen that guy going crazy 2.......It is a miracle that she got out alive......it looks to me as if she hit the third rail....then she passes out.....

I must of watched this video numerous time and I have to conclude that the woman wasn`t drunk.Call me crazy but it looked more like she jumped off the platform than falling off of it.When she hit the tracks,it look like she intentionally kicked the third rail and the way she rolled into the middle of the tracks looked staged.No doubt that the event was real,but as for the woman it look more like a suicide attempt or someone seeking for desperate attention.Luckily the train had good brakes,because that old dude on the edge would have been done for.

Archived