What's Behind an R40 Roll Sign?

bveguy

Don't ever talk to me again...how DARE you mess with my Slants!!! B)

It's cool man. Glad you had fun with the sign. I'm going to scroll through the sign myself cuz I need the readings and I need the measurements to make my own R40 rollsign. ($300 for a rollsign? Nah!...)

How small is your finger?

I doubt he used his finger, he had to use a 6mm allen wrench, but even that will give you carpal tunnel after a while.

And I'm just noticing that blue (S). I did not know R40 rollsigns had that.

The finger in the hole shown in one of the pictures is some other kid trying to change the sign. My finger is more than 6mm in width B)

Anyways, if you go there, I suggest bringing a xx allen key. I brought the xx and could barely turn it. Also, you will be HEAVILY SUPERVISED as you change the sign and are required to change it back to its original state, so I suggest not to scroll too far from the letter.

The finger in the hole shown in one of the pictures is some other kid trying to change the sign. My finger is more than 6mm in width B)

Anyways, if you go there, I suggest bringing a 7 or 8mm allen key. I brought the 6mm and could barely turn it. Also, you will be HEAVILY SUPERVISED as you change the sign and are required to change it back to its original state, so I suggest not to scroll too far from the letter.

Really? I've used xx wrenches to look through signs on an R62, R68 and an R42, I think in regards to the 42. I have larger wrenches anyway, I'll make sure to bring those.

uh oh, careful what you say or someone would start flaming x(

I guess you're right, although I do wish that some people would learn to keep their noses out of others' business.

But anyways, I need to look through the rollsigns anyway because I want to make my own and I need the readings.

If they let you change the sign, thats one thing. Too bad they did not set the front sign facing the tower. Does anyone know if those signs are the older ones with the <R> or are the signs new>

I guess you're right, although I do wish that some people would learn to keep their noses out of others' business.

But anyways, I need to look through the rollsigns anyway because I want to make my own and I need the readings.

If you mess with the museum trains, it's every ones business. I'm sure alot of people, not only the museum would be pissed if you broke the sign. Also, you don't NEED to see whats on the sign, you just want to. Plus there is that rollsign gallery site that would have the reading.

Be careful with the signs in the museum, most of them are very rare.

The signs are new and for one thing I know, does not contain the (JFK).

And for lrg, for the holes in the roll sign for the museum, I think they make it bigger so if you bring the 6mm key, you're out of luck. But I do know a way around, considering that I've worked with allen keys for a long time.

If you mess with the museum trains, it's every ones business. I'm sure alot of people, not only the museum would be pissed if you broke the sign. Also, you don't NEED to see whats on the sign, you just want to. Plus there is that rollsign gallery site that would have the reading.

Here we go again. If you looked through past posts I've made, you'd know I'd need to:

1: look through the signs for EXACT readings

2. collect measurements.

Looks like I have one of two court jesters stalking me now. Oy vey B)

stalking me now.

Stalking, oh get over your self your not worth it.

Also, your not going to be able to get correct measurements from the sign. There is some material that you don't see because the windows are too small on the R40 signs. Also, when I had said they are made out of Mylar I meant that its Mylar, not paper on Mylar.

Don't ever talk to me again...how DARE you mess with my Slants!!! B)

It's cool man. Glad you had fun with the sign. I'm going to scroll through the sign myself cuz I need the readings and I need the measurements to make my own R40 rollsign. ($300 for a rollsign? Nah!...)

When you get the readouts, can you post the order the letters come up?

Hmmmm, I didn't know you had an R40 rollsign. You should have said something!!! My apologies, I guess I was being stubborn! B) :mad:

Okay, since you're willing to help me out, which I really do appreciate by the way, can you do the following:

1: Please list the rollsign readings in order from top to bottom. If the routes have different colors from the norm, please state so.

2: I need the diameter of the bullet. Please be accurate as possible.

3: I see that the width of the sign is close to 9 3/4". Is that correct?

4: I also understand that there's some white space at the beginning of the sign and the end of the sign. Can you provide the length of those as well?

Had I known that someone had an R40 rollsign, I would probably have asked instead of being stubborn. I apologize for my arrogance, and I thank you for being cordial with me despite my actions.

Get back as soon as you can with those measurements, that is, if you wish to.

The sign order goes like this:

(A)(K)(C)(H)(S)8th ave(E)(F)(V)(G)(R)(S)B'way(W)(N)<Q>(Q)(B)(D)(Q6)(S)6th av(S)(L)(J)(M)(Z).

Each bullet is just under 9" in diameter.

Each letter is 5/12" tall.

The white space on the side varies over the whole length of the sign.

I will see what other measurements I can get.

The sign order goes like this:

(A)(K)(C)(H)(S)8th ave(E)(F)(V)(G)(R)(S)B'way(W)(N)<Q>(Q)(B)(D)(Q6)(S)6th av(S)(L)(J)(M)(Z).

Each bullet is just under 9" in diameter.

Each letter is 5/12" tall.

The white space on the side varies over the whole length of the sign.

I will see what other measurements I can get.

Thanks for the measurements. I really appreciate em!

Just one more question: can you provide me with the measurement of the space in between the circles? All this would be great, I want an exact replica of the rollsign. Thanks again dude!

Okay, my rollsign project is coming along great. But IND, aren't these the 2001 readings? I thought the R40 rollsigns were dated since 1988, or overhaul. I think you have a new sign, but it's still okay, I'll make a separate R40 rollsign from the 80s instead, so I'll have two versions. I just need the measurements for:

1: the blank space in between each bullet (e.g. the space between (A) and (K))

2. the blank space before (A)

3: the blank space after (Z)

In addition, are there any "Special" or "Shuttle" Signs on the readings with the bullets or no? Thanks again! :tup:

Okay, my rollsign project is coming along great. But IND, aren't these the 2001 readings? I thought the R40 rollsigns were dated since 1988, or overhaul. I think you have a new sign, but it's still okay, I'll make a separate R40 rollsign from the 80s instead, so I'll have two versions. I just need the measurements for:

1: the blank space in between each bullet (e.g. the space between (A) and (K))

2. the blank space before (A)

3: the blank space after (Z)

In addition, are there any "Special" or "Shuttle" Signs on the readings with the bullets or no? Thanks again! :tup:

The sign I have is from 2001 when most of the R40/M had there signs replaced. There is not shuttle, special, or not in service reading on the route sign, but they are found on the north and south terminal rolls. I put the sign away, so I will have to dig it out again to get the other measurements. In all honesty though, while it may be not too expensive to get the actual signs printed ($100), making the sign box will be very expensive since its made out of heavy steal with procession gears. Unless you have a friend that can weld, it may be cheaper to get the sign from the TA.

Also be aware that there are several variations of the terminal signs, I don't know how many but there are at least two of each.

The sign I have is from 2001 when most of the R40/M had there signs replaced. There is not shuttle, special, or not in service reading on the route sign, but they are found on the north and south terminal rolls. I put the sign away, so I will have to dig it out again to get the other measurements. In all honesty though, while it may be not too expensive to get the actual signs printed ($100), making the sign box will be very expensive since its made out of heavy steal with procession gears. Unless you have a friend that can weld, it may be cheaper to get the sign from the TA.

Also be aware that there are several variations of the terminal signs, I don't know how many but there are at least two of each.

Well, I was thinking about constructing the sign box out of wood. My brother works for transit but he's not well connected with car equipment personell. I'll try to see if he can get a sign but it may still involve me digging money out of my pocket that I don't have.

The older signs did have (JFK) <R> along with Broadway (:) and (D). I don't have one of those signs though.

Yup, and you can still see those on the remaining R-42s since many of them appear to still have those side signs. Although the (V) doesn't look any different, you can tell when they're signed as (R) or <R>.

Yup, and you can still see those on the remaining R-42s since many of them appear to still have those side signs. Although the (V) doesn't look any different, you can tell when they're signed as (R) or <R>.

The one thing that I have not seen on the R42 is the (JFK) but I have not going lokking for it either since I am too busy working on my R32 sign.

Archived