LEDs on buses now?

dmouse

Has anyone noticed that buses 1997+up are being fitted with LEDs, instead of plain bulbs? It looks cool.

A select few of 1999 Orion Vs have the same LEDs the NGs have @ the doors.

(floor level)

MTA going green!

I think the 5200 RTSs all have the green LEDs, but the rear signs are always messed up.

Those Twinvision LEDs always screws up and gets stuck often, I've had a bus where it was on the M22 and the rear was stuck on the B44. Although so far, 5-7 buses have been refitted with Hanover LEDs, the orange signs out of Ulmer Park.

Those Twinvision LEDs always screws up and gets stuck often, I've had a bus where it was on the M22 and the rear was stuck on the B44. Although so far, 5-7 buses have been refitted with Hanover LEDs, the orange signs out of Ulmer Park.
Ugh! You have no idea how faulty these Twinvision flipdots are. Whenever I see these signs, they always seem to screw up, sometimes so much that the back flipdot window on the back of the bus isn't used. I can actually COUNT how many times I saw those signs actually WORK since the Flatbush Nova buses moved to Quill!

I don't like the Hanover LEDs that much; they look quite awkward on an RTS, in my opinion. At least they work, though.

When I first saw this title, I was thinking about interior lighting. One Flyer DLF was retrofitted with those, and then I thought I had heard the Orion NG's were coming with then, but they haven't.

So I'm wondering what is going on with that. (Or maybe the NG's are LED? It's hard to tell through the translucent plastic, and they do seem to have a more bluish air about them, and so far don't seem to be yellowing, which is caused by the UV in fluorescents).

LED's as exterior signs are nothing new; they first started with the yellow-green flipdot combo's 11 years ago. Not sure when they took over the interior door indication light, but it was probably within two years, when that new pure green became more common in LED's; (probably with the VII hybrid OG's? And then they began retrofitting some of the older external signs with blue LED's indirect lighting replacing the fluorescents).

What I want to see on signs is color changing ability; at least on the route. Others have this already. But when I sent the suggestion in, they said the computers couldn't handle the extra data necessary.

You still don't see an awful lot of small RGB LED displays around, but check out the new LOTTO machines I have just started seeing last week. They use RGB's on that scrolling sign they have (others use LCD monitors for the ads). And they are very bright; can't miss it (I first noticed it in a store where the machine was not even put together yet, yet the sign was laying flat on the counter behind me and was running!) These are the knd of signs they should be using on transit vehicles.

Archived