French rail map from 1920.

metsfan

• 2 weeks later...

(W)ell I starred at it and now I need (4)(5)drops of (V)isine cuz I can't see it . It's too small

;)

Try clicking the full size on the top of the image, then click that image, it will zoom to full size! :)

- A

It appears Corsica wasn't all that served. Had Napoleon been around he would have set that right ;)

KnightRider: Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Paris, Rennes and Toulouse all have subways. Rennes was the smallest city (in terms of population) to have a subway until they built one in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Too bad these weren't all TGV or SNCF railroads in general. :cool:

Yes, however they had some of the best locomotives of the day, france was very prosperous in the time after the revolution till ww1, which lent itself nicely to rail expansion. I can only imagine what this would be like if it was all high speed electrics! :eek:

(A)ndy What type trains does france have and do they have A subway ?:eek:

They have tons of different trains, diesel multiple unit, electric multiple unit, light rail, trams, trollies, heavy rail trainsets like TGV and Thalus & Eurostar.

Several cities have metro systems, not all are populated enough to have a large system, and the ground conditons lends itself more to surface rail.

It appears Corsica wasn't all that served. Had Napoleon been around he would have set that right ;)

KnightRider: Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Paris, Rennes and Toulouse all have subways. Rennes was the smallest city (in terms of population) to have a subway until they built one in Lausanne, Switzerland.

The paris metro is amazing.

- A

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, however they had some of the best locomotives of the day, france was very prosperous in the time after the revolution till ww1, which lent itself nicely to rail expansion.

What's probably more noteworthy is which European countries didn't end up with such a good rail network. Spain seems always to have been somewhat run-down and odd, Germany is remarkably incoherent, and Poland and the Czech Republic have the well-aligned routes running in directions that only make sense as part of the empires they once belonged to.

And we shouldn't forget that the USA also had the most amazing rail network in 1920.

I can only imagine what this would be like if it was all high speed electrics! :eek:

It's a nice thought, but the population density just isn't there. France is remarkably rural. It's got about the same population as Britain, but over double the land area.

The paris metro is amazing.

Yep. Its only problem is that it doesn't serve some very densely-populated areas just outside the city limits very well.

Archived