City Turns Up Intensity Against Subway Perverts

FlushingExpress

NYC Turns Up Heat On Subway Perverts

Nos. 4, 5 & 6 Lines Get The Most Complaints, But NYPD Is Encouraging All Female Riders Everywhere To Be On Guard Reporting

Hazel Sanchez NEW YORK (CBS) ―

From groping, to men exposing themselves, subway sex crimes have city leaders so concerned that a new effort is underway to make women feel much safer.

Some say it happens all the time -- women sexually harassed, even assaulted while riding a subway train, many in the middle of the day.

They're groped, flashed and leered at by strange men. Now New York Cityis taking steps to stop it.

So which trains are the most dangerous, and what time of day? CBS 2 HD got some surprising answers and learned what's being done to keep women safe.

The NYPD says most of its sexual assault and harassment cases happen on the 4, 5 and 6 lines between Grand Central and 14th Street, but it is not singling those trains out. It is asking every woman that rides the system to be vigilant.

They are striking when you'd least expect. Predators are sexually assaulting or harassing their victims on crowded trains and platforms in the middle of rush hour.

"Some guy was playing with himself inappropriately. We were just like 'oh my God,'" said April Sanchez of Bensonhurst.

"I think they are sick," another person added.

According to a New York Times report, women are most frequently attacked on the train between 8 and 10 a.m., and during the early afternoon commute between 4 and 6 p.m. And not all victims come forward.

When asked why he didn't report one such incident, Rudy Mullaney of Woodside, Queens said, "Because it happens so frequently all the time. What am I going to waste my time for? I gotta get to work."

"It's the norm that it just happened on the train. You just have to get over it. But I feel more should be done with the police and the MTA," City Councilmember Darlene Mealy said.

Mealy and the City Council met Thursday to brainstorm ways to prevent sexual harassment in the subway.

"I think that's really important. I think people need to feel safe on their commute to work and on their way home," said Jessica McMahon of the Upper West Side.

Last year the Metropolitan Transportation Authority posted signs encouraging riders to report sexual harassment. Within a year complaints went up 4 percent from 564 last year to 587 this year.

In August two women came forward with cell phone pictures of men who had exposed and fondled themselves while on a train in the city.

"Not everybody, while they're being groped or assaulted, can whip out there camera phone and take that picture. What's most important is to try to remember all the details. What were they wearing? How tall were they? What did they look like? If you can remember the number of the subway car you were on," said Oraia Reid of New Yorkers for Safe Transit.

"There are some scary people out there, so you just have to be careful and watch out," added Alyssa Kamlet of the Upper West Side.

Police have arrested 412 people for sex offenses in the subway this year, and 14 of them were registered sex offenders.

http://wcbstv.com/local/subway.sexual.harassment.2.1323134.html

i am surprised no one created a thread about this. it is a very bad thing and one of my classmates talked about this in psychology class yesterday. what is wrong with some people?

Eww, yuck! I think there are discussions regarding this issue before, like when this dude on the (D) train was "showing off" in front of women.

amd_subway-flasher.jpg

This is that dude.

My suggestion is just watch yourselves. Be careful out there. If you see these perverts, rat them out, scream at them, and then call the police or train crew. They'll do the rest.

S*** like that disgusts me. It's amazing how a majority of these people get away with this. One time on the bus, three guys were surrounding my friend, and when the bus turned the corner, one of the guys literally pressed his you-know-whats in her face. I called her over and had her sit next to me so the guys wouldn't bother her. I really don't appreciate stuff like that.

This is bad news! I doubt a cam will do in the train especially a packed train wouldn't catch it.

During the night you find the crazy and drunkin people, day sex offenders? W0w..

I'm a defender, X-D!!!

if you think this sort of stuff is bad on the subways, try the staten island ferry at midnight. i can't even count how many times i've had encounters with creeps on the ferry who decided they wanna be my entertainment on my ride home. also, i remember when i went to csi, there was an asian kid sitting across from me who had the audacity to whip it out... on the BUS. i had a couple of incidents on the 7 line during rush hour with groping, but i called them out right away. one thought i wouldn't notice him pinching my ass. i was FURIOUS. the lengths these people take for a cheap thrill... it's enough to make me wanna become a lesbian. :confused:

if you think this sort of stuff is bad on the subways, try the staten island ferry at midnight. i can't even count how many times i've had encounters with creeps on the ferry who decided they wanna be my entertainment on my ride home. also, i remember when i went to csi, there was an asian kid sitting across from me who had the audacity to whip it out... on the BUS. i had a couple of incidents on the 7 line during rush hour with groping, but i called them out right away. one thought i wouldn't notice him pinching my ass. i was FURIOUS. the lengths these people take for a cheap thrill... it's enough to make me wanna become a lesbian. :confused:

Hey, not all of us guys are creeps. Don't go to the dark side just yet. ;)

Lol, you went to CSI? I'm in CSI right now! Lol

Anyway, I'm sorry you've had to have run-ins with such jerks. It does get annoying when people try to amuse their friends to make them look good, when in fact, they're making themselves look bad, to all of us.

That's terrible, and I hope you don't think all asians are like that one. Very disgusting behavior.

And sorry to hear about the groping. They say if you scream out loud to stop [getting other people's attention] the pervert would stop.

These guys beter watch out, I'm not gonna hesitate to videotape anyone doing these kinds of things.. Ohhh boy if they wanna get touchy then they're gonna get exposed!!

I think they are all ready exposed... :confused:;):tdown:

- A

there was an asian kid sitting across from me who had the audacity to whip it out... on the BUS.

Out of all the EDPs i've run into in this city, i've only once spotted an asian EDP. Was on a northbound (E), guy was jerking it under his pants while giving me an occasional glance.

I see nothing wrong with two girls kissing. She should be adventurous. :)

i already been to the "darkside" but i came back when i met my fiance. :)

grand concourse - i yelled at the guy not to touch me again. everyone in the car probably heard me. he must've said sorry like 20 times afterwards. hope he learned his lesson. hahaha.

Archived