East Side access question

mark1447

What i mean is, instead of having the Oyster Bay trains end in Jamaica, send em all the way to Long Island city, perhaps reopen the closed stations along lower montauk to improve access in that area

That is an idea, but they stations would have to be greatly updated and the track restored, because that whole line/area hasn't been in use for some time. Also, only one of the stations on that line were really "stations", meaning high-level platforms. Re-opening that section would have to appeal to the LIRR not just for more customers, but for money to pay for them.

What pax equipment that LIRR runs can't go into NYP exactly & wh

Anything diesel because of an early 20th century law prohibiting diesel engines in the tunnel (namely the DEs, but not the DMs)

What station(s) do the trains stop at? :P

Jamaica and LIC only. The rest of the Lower Montauk stations were closed in 98. Check this thread: http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15184

It was an accident in the Park Avenue Tunnel, Jan 8 1902. It involved two commuter trains. One was a New York Central train, the other a New York New Haven and Hartford. The New York Central train blew a red signal, and rear ended the New Haven train. That was the event that created this law, that remains in effect to this day.

It was an accident in the Park Avenue Tunnel, Jan 8 1902. It involved two commuter trains. One was a New York Central train, the other a New York New Haven and Hartford. The New York Central train blew a red signal, and rear ended the New Haven train. That was the event that created this law, that remains in effect to this day.
What law are you talking about?

Anything diesel because of an early 20th century law prohibiting diesel engines in the tunnel (namely the DEs, but not the DMs)

Jamaica and LIC only. The rest of the Lower Montauk stations were closed in 98. Check this thread: http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15184

This law that Matt91 is talking about :(

This law that Matt91 is talking about :)

I think he means, is this law still in place. I tried to do some research on it, and didn't come up with anything conclusive. If this law is still in effect, why is it that the LIRR, MNRR, and AMTK run diesels in the tunnels everyday? All I know, is that from being qualified on the MNRR book of rules and the LIRR, all they speicify is what equipment will not fit in the tunnels and mention nothing that says you can not run a diesel in the tunnels. If this was truly a still outstanding law, why is it not in the rulebook??

Well MNRR & LIRR are not really breaking the old law,DE's do not enter these stations or the tunnels because of they do not have the 3rd rail shoe to contact electricity

DM's are different because they can switch from diesel power to electric power and vice versa when leaving or entering,these are the engines that are allowed in the tunnels provided they switch to electric power and not diesel

Remember dual mode trains have the capability of switching to pure electric power

I don't think that law states anything about electric engines

Really now?

Actually for LIRR to run a diesel into the tunnels is actually pretty rare. Metro North runs at least 3 work trains a day with GP35's into and around GCT. Also during the weekend, it is not uncommon to see the BL20s make it into GCT on equipment moves.

I think he means, is this law still in place. I tried to do some research on it, and didn't come up with anything conclusive. If this law is still in effect, why is it that the LIRR, MNRR, and AMTK run diesels in the tunnels everyday? All I know, is that from being qualified on the MNRR book of rules and the LIRR, all they speicify is what equipment will not fit in the tunnels and mention nothing that says you can not run a diesel in the tunnels. If this was truly a still outstanding law, why is it not in the rulebook??

To be honest, I don't know if this law is still even on the books, but regardless the DEs still couldnt enter due to the fact that they can't be easily shut down.

Actually for LIRR to run a diesel into the tunnels is actually pretty rare.

They only run pure diesels if an engine breaks down, and they are not allowed to idle. As for the DMs, these only happen during weekdays, with 2 consists in each direction on the Port Jeff Branch, 2 in from and 1 out of Speonk, and 1 in each direction on the Oyster Bay branch every weekday during the rush. There are also some holiday DM runs on the Port Jeff branch and to/from Speonk (usually one in each direction)

To be honest, I don't know if this law is still even on the books, but regardless the DEs still couldnt enter due to the fact that they can't be easily shut down.)

Every diesel is easy to shut down, all you do is push the fuel cut off. I have worked on alot of engines from Alco S1's to AC6000's, and they were all the same. For goofs, I called one of my old co-workers who is a LIRR engineer now, and he confirmed DM/DE's are like any other diesel to shut down.

And the MN examples I used earlier, are straight diesel.

Archived