New York City Trivia

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why was the Sheepshead Bay built?

From what the old-timers down there have told me, the Coney Island Creek was supposed to be widened and turned into a canal large enough for boats to safely pass through. However a stretch of the creek was filled in when the Belt Parkway was constructed, and the western end north between the Sheepshead Bay neighborhood and Manhattan Beach was deepened and widened for boats. A lot of charter tours dock along Emmons Avenue.

From what the old-timers down there have told me, the Coney Island Creek was supposed to be widened and turned into a canal large enough for boats to safely pass through. However a stretch of the creek was filled in when the Belt Parkway was constructed, and the western end north between the Sheepshead Bay neighborhood and Manhattan Beach was deepened and widened for boats. A lot of charter tours dock along Emmons Avenue.

That's not what I heard (I used to live in the region).

I mean the waterway that makes Manhattan Beach a peninsula ( if you don't know what I mean, go on google maps and put in manhattan beach brooklyn ny.

OK, OK. I believe I found the answer that you're looking for. If you want, I'll spill the beans, or I'll wait another day to see if someone knows the answer. I'm pretty sure that I have the response you were looking for.

OK, OK. I believe I found the answer that you're looking for. If you want, I'll spill the beans, or I'll wait another day to see if someone knows the answer. I'm pretty sure that I have the response you were looking for.

No one seems to have it, so put the answer you think is right.

Archived