New York City Trivia

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the last borough to become part of NYC?

I don't know whether you've accepted the other answers already, but shouldn't it be the Bronx? It was created out of Manhattan in 1914. (I am assuming date of establishment is what you are looking for, not the date it was consolidated on).

1609?

Henry Hudson sailed up his namesake river in 1609, but New York wasn't founded then. It became a Dutch trading post circa 1616, and was incorporated as New Amsterdam in 1624 (with the Dutch creating the position of Governor-General to oversee it). It remained as New Amsterdam, part of the larger Dutch colony of New Netherlands, until the British defeated the Dutch in battle, and renamed the city New York after the Duke of York, in 1664.

New York will only celebrate the 400th anniversary of its founding in 2024, but the 400th anniversary of "New York" is another 40 years after that.

What is today Queens once was individual towns. Can you name at least three of the five towns that created modern Queens?

1) Jamaica

2) Long Island City

3) Flushing

(Don't know if I am right. Done from memory, no reference to Wikipedia or other resources).

1) Sunnyside.

2) Forest Hills.

3) Astoria.

4) Kew Gardens.

(Rough Guesses due to the proximity of their closeness to the LIRR as well as the age of the structure.)

OK, I looked up the answer on Wikipedia. The five towns are: Flushing, Hempstead, Jamaica, Newtown and Oyster Bay. I got two right, you got none.

I always knew Jamaica was one of the towns; in fact it was the county seat from 1788 to 1898 (consolidation), and retained its title in a ceremonial capacity after that.

I guess I was going by LIRR landmarks as well; Jamaica is the main transfer point/hub for LIRR and LIC is one of the terminals. Flushing also has LIRR service.

Long Island City was an independent city for a short time, from 1870 to 1898, but not one of the original towns that comprised Queens.

It is interesting that three of the five original towns are now in Nassau county, having seceded when Queens was consolidated into New York. The rest of Queens was entirely rural and composed of villages and hamlets: Astoria was a village, Sunnyside a hamlet, while Kew Gardens and Forest Hills were founded as "planned communities" in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queens#History

• 2 weeks later...

According to my 1939 W.P.A. New York City Guide: (Page 560) "Queens was consolidated with New York City in 1898 and Long Island City, Newtown, Flushing, Janaica and the Rockaways became the five wards of the borough. The towns voting against absorption - Hempstead, North Hempstead and Oyster Bay - were organized into a new county, Nassau."

Archived