Metrocard Hacking?

NYtransit

It's fake. It's not tested in the system. In Addition, to actually hack the metrocard, you will need a Metrocard reader and a separate writer. The algorithim that allows you to write to the card hasn't been figured out yet.

Hacking is illegal so even if you tried, if you get caught, you will do more jail time than what's its worth for fare evasion.

Interesting topic. I also heard that if you bend your plastic Metrocard (not the single ride pass) in a certain way then it becomes an "infinite value" I don't remember which area, and it did work somehow, on the third swipe after the first two failed swipes.

Meh, sounds like crap anyways.. Of course this is illegal. So if you wanna do it, do it at your own risk.. And risk getting caught doing this(If that happens).. Which is stupid..

Tho if it were to work, then id give a :tup: to the hacker, Which he'd risk trouble for him/herself. But i wouldn't do this since i dont have time to try these crap, plus like i said its stupid..

It's fake. It's not tested in the system. In Addition, to actually hack the metrocard, you will need a Metrocard reader and a separate writer. The algorithim that allows you to write to the card hasn't been figured out yet.

Hacking is illegal so even if you tried, if you get caught, you will do more jail time than what's its worth for fare evasion.

what do you mean MetroCard reader and writer? Metrocard reader to check balance? Writer for what?

what do you mean MetroCard reader and writer? Metrocard reader to check balance? Writer for what?

Back when those hackers did over the MBTA, I was reading an article on how there's a machine that can read the status of your Metrocard. (Like the card readers in the system) However to add value or alter the type of the card, you will need to get a separate writer to do all of this.

I think the Writer is like sending data to a card, like value.

By the way, as most of you said, defacing a Metro Card is illegal.

The algorithim that allows you to write to the card hasn't been figured out yet.

Rather, the method of physically writing to the cards hasn't been figured out yet. MCs lack many features of basic magnetic stripes and therefore cannot be read or written to using off the shelf magstripe equipment (very readily available). The other big issue in writing to the cards is that the system has many facilities for detecting a modified card. Currently there are applications out there which can decode the information stored on a MC, provided you obtain a device suitable to read it (hint: you already have it, you just don't know it).

It's possible (and it would make sense) that these cards simply store ID values. Every time you swipe, you simply deduct some value from a centralized database that stores the real value of your card. It is already possible to disable the card without even having access to it, so I think it's plausible that these values are not even stored on the card.

To verify that, someone would have to have two cards: one with value and one worthless one to be experimented on. The card with value would be cloned so that the worthless card ends up containing the exact same data; we don't even need to know what the data represents because that is what we're testing. Swipe the first card with any Metrocard reader at any station and read its value. Swipe the second card at the turnstile. Read the value of the first card again. If the value of the first card is decreased, we can conclude that the cards only identify a certain position in a large centralized database and that the cards themselves have no value stored at all.

The only method that used to work was bending the card in half on a certain part of the card but that glitch in the system has been fixed.

As for reading and writing to a metro card, it can be done easily but thats only useful for cloning cards, You cant add value to a card out of no where or make a card unlimited as the serial number wont be in the metro card database and therefore will be invalid so the only real way to hack it is to break into a booth and know how to login and replenish it that way.

Interesting topic. I also heard that if you bend your plastic Metrocard (not the single ride pass) in a certain way then it becomes an "infinite value" I don't remember which area, and it did work somehow, on the third swipe after the first two failed swipes.

Yeah, I remember hearing that. It only works on the subway, but it doesn't work on the buses; instead it'll display a read error and the bus operator will eventually let the passenger on.

Archived