Special J Shuttle Service Question

Bill from Maspeth

But why? It makes no sense. Is it not easier to just extend trains?

Several reasons.

The J shuttle runs on a different headway; all expenses (car mileage, crew, supervision, extra tower operators) are part of the GO budget; extending the regular J could have scheduling conflicts as perhaps missing M connections at B'way Myrtle as you have to slot them in time wise with the R and Q.

Finally, and this is certainly not a TA reason, but mine, if I pick the J line, I want to work the J line. Every t/o and c/r are not railfans who want to go to Prospect Park. I want to work the job I picked. Also, time wise, 2 trips from Parsons to Prospect Park may not be productive cab time wise, yet 3 trips would be too much. They would need the extra crews anyway for the longer run, so why not leave the extra crews seperated?

Oic, thanks. I thought someone mentioned about the R42s being reactivated in Queens, but I guess not.

12 R42 cars which were formerly assigned to Queens, numerically before the ENY assigned cars beginning with 4788, are being held in storage. at 207 YD. These may or may not be re-activated according to the needs of the service wherever they may or may not be needed.

4550/51, 4616/17, 4674/75, 4704/05, 4738/39, 4784/85.

Several reasons.

The J shuttle runs on a different headway; all expenses (car mileage, crew, supervision, extra tower operators) are part of the GO budget; extending the regular J could have scheduling conflicts as perhaps missing M connections at B'way Myrtle as you have to slot them in time wise with the R and Q.

Finally, and this is certainly not a TA reason, but mine, if I pick the J line, I want to work the J line. Every t/o and c/r are not railfans who want to go to Prospect Park. I want to work the job I picked. Also, time wise, 2 trips from Parsons to Prospect Park may not be productive cab time wise, yet 3 trips would be too much. They would need the extra crews anyway for the longer run, so why not leave the extra crews seperated?

What they should have done this weekend, is extend the (M), instead (like they have done before). The (M) having to discharge at Myrtle on the same track the (J) uses and then relay to Marcy causes a lot of delays, and an increase in headway on the (J) causing crews to fall to the board (where they could end up making much more overtime than they would on an extended line). So the best thing would have just been to stay in service to Manhattan.

What they should have done this weekend, is extend the (M), instead (like they have done before). The (M) having to discharge at Myrtle on the same track the (J) uses and then relay to Marcy causes a lot of delays, and an increase in headway on the (J) causing crews to fall to the board (where they could end up making much more overtime than they would on an extended line). So the best thing would have just been to stay in service to Manhattan.

It would cost a lot more money for car equipment: more cars required and additional mileage on the cars would cost more to run that GO.

It would cost a lot more money for car equipment: more cars required and additional mileage on the cars would cost more to run that GO.

Probably not that much more. Extra service would only be between Essex and Myrtle, and the same cars wouls simply be making fewer, though longer trips. Probably still less than paying a bunch of people to possibly sit on the board all day and then pick up jobs later.

I'm looking for a definitive answer vs. a speculative one.

Does the Brighton line have 8 car (4x4) conductor boards? If it doesn't, then the ENY assigned R160's can't run there.

There were mostly R42's and 1 trainset of R160's

There are no more R42's assigned to Jamaica Yard. The only old trains they have are 26 cars of R32's: 2-10 car trains and 6 spare cars.

Friday PM rush one train was on the R, one train was on the V.

I was on that R32 (R), The reason why the R32 was on the (R) because an R46 had trobule and they sent the R32 out instead that what I heard, only 3 cars had (R) signage and the rest had (V).

• 1 month later...

Archived