Lights on the M-7's

R142

Green - train is taking power (i.e. controller is between coast and max pwr)

Amber - train brakes are engaged

White - conductor is keyed in that location

Flashing Red - parking brake on that car is engaged

Blue - ASC is active in that cab

I know this is how the LIRR M7s are; MNR may be different.

ASC is the cab signal system used on the LIRR. It displays aspects of 15, 30, 40, 60, 70, 80 (all mph). As you move closer to other trains, the cab signal will downgrade obviously to maintain a safe distance between you and the other train. As the track is cleared the aspect will upgrade (up to 80mph, MAS for passenger trains on the LIRR).

Thanks, doesnt the M1 thru M6 also have something like this?

Thanks, doesnt the M1 thru M6 also have something like this?

I know M3s have lights on the sides, but I don't remember their exact placement as I rarely catch M3s. M2/4/6s i'm unfamiliar with as I only ride them once in a blue moon.

I thought that green meant that the air brakes were fully released on that particular car.

I always thought that green indicated the motors were taking power; I always hear the inverter whine just as the green lights illuminates. Oh well, i've been wrong before, i'll certainly take Jayjays' word for it.

I always thought that green indicated the motors were taking power; I always hear the inverter whine just as the green lights illuminates. Oh well, i've been wrong before, i'll certainly take Jayjays' word for it.

I see what your saying but if you watch a MNRR M7 the green light will come on and then you hear the whine like 5 seconds later.

I know M3s have lights on the sides, but I don't remember their exact placement as I rarely catch M3s. M2/4/6s i'm unfamiliar with as I only ride them once in a blue moon.

M1/A's - M6's are more or less the same car with slightly different characteristics as far as MNR goes. I'm not sure about the LIRR. The lights can be seen just below the cooling grids on the curved portion of the roof on the M1, M2, M3 and M4 railcars in the pictures found on this page:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.amherstrail.org/memberpages/Wayne-Koch-3-2009_files/CDOT%2520Tok_0.jpeg.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.amherstrail.org/memberpages/WayneKochSpottersguide.html&usg=____s5vgYGuYjZ6RBW_qoXDFbBJKw=&h=534&w=800&sz=208&hl=en&start=11&sig2=zpbh973_RvpD3RQIr5g5iA&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=BHrtBy21C9HOGM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmetro-north%2Bm4%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2GWYE_enUS361%26um%3D1&ei=s2laS6DfEKaBlgf7k4H7BA

Special thanks to Wayne Koch for making that page (I hope I'm not in trouble for citing him like that! :eek:).

Notice the difference in the amount of indicator lights amongst the different railcar classes.

Also worth noting is that the brakes applied/released lights are also on the interiors of the M7s, one set of lights on each end of the car. Of course, guard lights are also in each vestibule, along with the buzzer.

Also worth noting is that the brakes applied/released lights are also on the interiors of the M7s, one set of lights on each end of the car. Of course, guard lights are also in each vestibule, along with the buzzer.

What may be even more important to note is the non-working light over the bathroom door when it's occupied, a warning to make sure that the sliding lock work is usable. Because if it isn't and someone walks in on your using the bathroom, you might look like this:

:mad:

Just because the occupied light isn't illuminated doesn't mean that the door isn't physically locked...what you thought nobody was in there and used a coach key to get in? lololol

Ha!

Actually, I forgot that sliding lock is SUPPOSED to illuminate the light. However, I can recall a few times that I've been in the bathroom when I thought a SWAT team was trying to get in. Apparently some people are used to kicking the bathroom doors in at their own homes when they can't just walk in and out freely. B)

Ha!

Actually, I forgot that sliding lock is SUPPOSED to illuminate the light. However, I can recall a few times that I've been in the bathroom when I thought a SWAT team was trying to get in. Apparently some people are used to kicking the bathroom doors in at their own homes when they can't just walk in and out freely. B)

Ugh, don't get me started on some people & bathrooms. I was riding out of NYP a few weeks ago when someone went in the bathroom. Door locks, occupied light illuminates (as expected).

Some idiot comes along and tries to open the door. After yanking on the handle a few times, they give up and stand in the vestibule. Not even five minutes later, they try again; banging on the handle and all.

"Lady, do you not see the sign above the bathroom door that says 'OCCUPIED'? In plain English, that means someone is in the bathroom."

I don't know how these dumbasses manage to breathe...

Ugh, don't get me started on some people & bathrooms. I was riding out of NYP a few weeks ago when someone went in the bathroom. Door locks, occupied light illuminates (as expected).

Some idiot comes along and tries to open the door. After yanking on the handle a few times, they give up and stand in the vestibule. Not even five minutes later, they try again; banging on the handle and all.

"Lady, do you not see the sign above the bathroom door that says 'OCCUPIED'? In plain English, that means someone is in the bathroom."

I don't know how these dumbasses manage to breathe...

Yeah, those are the same people who walk out of the Main Concourse and into the first car on the platform at GCT, then sit down and ask in which the direction the train will move.

Intelligence tends to have its limits in most people, but idiocy seems to know no bounds...

Yeah, those are the same people who walk out of the Main Concourse and into the first car on the platform at GCT, then sit down and ask in which the direction the train will move.

Intelligence tends to have its limits in most people, but idiocy seems to know no bounds...

Are you serious? That's hilarious. I would pay to see that.

Are you serious? That's hilarious. I would pay to see that.

I would ask them to step outside the train and explain how the engineer will put the throttle on max power in that direction (while pointing with fingers towards bumper block).

No, these people are used to having their trains platform on one of the tracks going into the loop. They only get confused when their train is on one of the other tracks.

I know, the above explanation is a far stretch but it could happen

Archived