Is this True about the M3s?

gregorygrice

Yesterday I was at North White Plains Yard again, taking extra pictures and just watching the trains either go into the yard or pass by. Like usual the M3s were out running the rush hour runs. When one was slowly heading into the yard it had a large sticker at the bottom end of some of the cars that read

"This car was purchased by the Port Authority of NY & NJ and is being leased to the Metropolitan Transit Authority"

Does anyone have any background info on this?

Yesterday I was at North White Plains Yard again, taking extra pictures and just watching the trains either go into the yard or pass by. Like usual the M3s were out running the rush hour runs. When one was slowly heading into the yard it had a large sticker at the bottom end of some of the cars that read

"This car was purchased by the Port Authority of NY & NJ and is being leased to the Metropolitan Transit Authority"

Does anyone have any background info on this?

IIRC we had some R62A cars that said the same thing on the (3) line. There was obviously some financial hanky-panky between the PA and the (MTA) back in the '80s.

This was back when (MTA) was still mostly broke. The PA is also funding most of the ARC project. They are an important entity who's existence ensures the area they have jurisdiction over has proper rail transportation & other infrastructure.

- A

Yea the PA funded the orders for (NYCT) of the 1981-1983 GMC RTS-04's... 1500+ buses. Then again in 1986 the PA partially funded an order of 300 RTS-06.

The PA did the same for Metro-North and Beeline.

Yep, that is why our long gone 600 series MAN artic use to have PA before the number (like PA601, PA611 etc). It said on the back (now where it says Liberty Lines Transit, INC operator), Port Authority of NY&NJ.........

• 3 weeks later...

Since I can't delete the above post, I have to double post; sorry about that.

Anyways, I now know what you mean. I was at the Fordham station today and I saw what you were talking about.

24wwsjb.jpg

(#8100 and 8101)

Lastly, most of the others mention about a State Bond in 1979 to buy them.

Since I can't delete the above post, I have to double post; sorry about that.

Anyways, I now know what you mean. I was at the Fordham station today and I saw what you were talking about.

24wwsjb.jpg

(#8100 and 8101)

Lastly, most of the others mention about a State Bond in 1979 to buy them.

The bouble post is fine. But thats exactly what I was talking about! Its kinda like a receipt...lol Thanks for the pic:tup:

Archived