Any theories on why the R train feels so much wider than the N?

chrislau12

Or any R46 and R160.

They are the same width and height, but the old R46s feel so much wider than the R160s. I know there is a difference in length, but that shouldn't make one car feel so much more wider than the other. Or am I the only one who feels this way?

Bench seating -- you can either stare directly at the person in front of you, stare at the floor, close your eyes and pretend to meditate, or read a book in your lap and end up with a stiff neck.

I would probably be hunched over with my head in my lap if it didn't look so bad.... that posture best expresses how I feel about a crowded train.

The yellow-er lighting on the 46's also gives more of a private feel (and mellow, for that matter) than the harsher "hospital style" lighting on the 160's, though I'm guessing that the bulbs with the harsher light are more evergy efficent
The R46 definitely is a 70s era train.It looks like the set of "That 70s show" on wheels.But with bench seating I think the Idea behind bench seating is to promote conversation among your fellow straphanger by facing everyone towards each other.I bet you guys notice that people are more talkative on trains with bench seating than traverse seating trains.I Hate the bench seating arangement during rush hours,because your sitting there and all of a sudden a dude stands in front of your face with his nuts facing you.Now a female..........Nuff said.:(

I Hate the bench seating arangement during rush hours,because your sitting there and all of a sudden a dude stands in front of your face with his nuts facing you.Now a female..........Nuff said.:(

Hah, ha. That is when staring at the floor, becomes the best option. As for a female, yes in the winter, but in the summer, well I don't want anyone's nuts, or cookie in my face. Heat, body sweat, and rubbing in the groin area, doesn't make a good combo to be staring, and of course smelling..........

Hah, ha. That is when staring at the floor, becomes the best option. As for a female, yes in the winter, but in the summer, well I don't want anyone's nuts, or cookie in my face. Heat, body sweat, and rubbing in the groin area, doesn't make a good combo to be staring, and of course smelling..........

LOL cookie!!! I use the same term.But you are definitely right on this one.

Archived