M7/M7A Difference

m7zanr160s

I've noticed a difference between LIRR and Metro-North M7s. The LIRR M7s have a thick piece of steel at the center of every car, while Metro-North's M7As don't. Instead, there's just a number. Does anyone know why, and what that steel piece is about?

M7As have padded areas on the backs of the seats. On the topic of seating, M7As have shiner, more slippery seats.

There are flashing "fire alarm" style lights that go off when the doors are closing on the M7As. M7s just have the blinking red light and beep-beep-beep shit.

M7s have real backlit numberboards whereas M7As have stenciled-on numbers.

The M7 is the LIRR version, the M7-A is the MNRR version. The only difference between the two is their third rail capability.

No not really, differences just off-the top of my head:

Third rail setup

Power Consumption

Cab signal setup

Freight setup for airbrakes

Barrel Doors

Illuminated numberboards

Seat Arrangement

Fresh Air Intake Vents

By "freight brakes", I guess you're referring to direct-release brakes, or are you referring to a 90 PSI brake system?

Not so familiar with the M7A.

The M7s cannot be setup for tow by freight engine. The M7a's can cutout the EP brakes and run just on automatic brakes and be towed by a rescue engine.

M7As have padded areas on the backs of the seats. On the topic of seating, M7As have shiner, more slippery seats.

There are flashing "fire alarm" style lights that go off when the doors are closing on the M7As. M7s just have the blinking red light and beep-beep-beep shit.

M7s have real backlit numberboards whereas M7As have stenciled-on numbers.

Wow, I didn't notice the number difference, either.

Archived