MTA pink slip knocks wedding plans off tracks, husband-to-be among 450 to get fired

Harry

There's no good time to get laid off from work - but for token booth clerk Jhesky Vega, the timing couldn't be worse.

Vega and his fiancée were in the midst of planning their October wedding in Puerto Rico when he received a pink slip from NYC Transit last week.

Vega, 31, will work his last shift Wednesday.

"I'm feeling lost and dazed," the Queens man said. "I'm walking around like a zombie."

Vega is among about 450 station agents getting laid off or reassigned, despite their expectations that their civil-service positions granted life-long job security.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2010/05/02/2010-05-02_mta_pink_slip_knocks_wedding_plans_off_tracks_husbandtobe_among_450_to_get_fired.html

post-1-13328858176_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858176_thumb.jpg

Vega is among about 450 station agents getting laid off or reassigned, despite their expectations that their civil-service positions granted life-long job security.

He should have paid attention when Rodger gave up the no layoff clause, but there was a loop hole in it anyway so TA already had this in mind.

I wonder how many years he got?

Im not sure if stories like this are going to sway the public with all the bad press S/A have been getting...

Something BAD has to happen to a lot of people before John Or Jane Q public will speak up in volumes. This is just my opinion of coruse.

a LOT of those guys getting laid off came in 2004........well after that moron gave up the no layoff clause.........so we cant blame these guys.........

most people come to civil service for the job security........now if this occurs, why would anyone come here? especially if and when the economy gets better?

a LOT of those guys getting laid off came in 2004........well after that moron gave up the no layoff clause.........so we cant blame these guys.........

most people come to civil service for the job security........now if this occurs, why would anyone come here? especially if and when the economy gets better?

THAT'S definitely something to think about.

Mr. Vega came in as a station agent in 2006 so he had four years. Thursday he has to turn in his badge, keys and uniform at the same building where he received his training.

The downside is with the economy still sputtering, it will be competitive finding another job.

And I think whats more up setting for most of these people. This was probably one of those jobs that until now you thoght when you get a job like that that you will be there until the day you retire. Now these jobs wil be risky just like any other jobs. Can you imagine cops feeling this way?

Archived