Question about Subway Wheels

Diabllo

I figure it's for alignment reasons. Maybe it's used to determine wheel slippage. Like how screws have a white mark through them when they are tight. If the screw loosens you can visually tell it has.

I figure it's for alignment reasons. Maybe it's used to determine wheel slippage. Like how screws have a white mark through them when they are tight. If the screw loosens you can visually tell it has.

They use yellow now, for the screws.........

About the wheels that are on all NYC subway trains why is there a white crescent on the wheel? It's been bothering me since I was a kid.

Are you referring to the painted white "strips" on the wheels (sometimes on the rollers in the center) that visibly spin around as the wheel spins? If so, those are markings so that car inspectors can make sure the wheels are spinning when the car is moving (ie the bearing is not bound up and the wheel turns freely - if it binds up it will drag on the rail and flatten out).

Are you referring to the painted white "strips" on the wheels (sometimes on the rollers in the center) that visibly spin around as the wheel spins? If so, those are markings so that car inspectors can make sure the wheels are spinning when the car is moving (ie the bearing is not bound up and the wheel turns freely - if it binds up it will drag on the rail and flatten out).

Exactly.

You're correct! Painted on to make it easy to see if the wheels are spinning free.

I have a question. Back in 2003 or 4, there were these protective coverings over the spot where the white crescents were on the R68s. There were also some on the R142s. Why did they have these and what was the purpose of these.

Archived