A Question about Long Island Bus

MTAFan

That is such a weird bus, I never saw it before, but I do not know if it is still operating, :P...

The Orion II was a short lived Model. Not many TAs got them. SEPTA was one of the few to have them as well for the Phlash back when they owned it. But it was a pretty unreliable bus and therefore was taken off the market. Most, if not all transit systems that brought them retired em early.

The Orion II was a short lived Model. Not many TAs got them. SEPTA was one of the few to have them as well for the Phlash back when they owned it. But it was a pretty unreliable bus and therefore was taken off the market. Most, if not all transit systems that brought them retired em early.

How is it short lived model? 1983–2003, 20 years. There are transit agencies are still running Orion II.

Depends who you talk to. If you actually knew how to maintain an Orion II, you can make it last. One of the major problems was that the Orion II was designed to have a "drop in" replacement powertrain package that a agency would just place in when the old one was worn out. Unfortunatley some operators didn't do this and chose to try and rebuild the powertrain package, which isn't easy because the Orion II uses a lot of off-standard parts. TTC still has their 1991's running and there are quite a few operators throughout the U.S that still operate mid 1990s Orion IIs.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.459 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I know a TA that operated their 1991 II's until 2004 and they proved to be very reliable for them, but their maintenance team is one of the best in the country too. I've been on them a couple times. It's the original low floor. The wheel chair lift comes out the back too. Those things have power too.

WMATA had them too. I rode through the Georgetown area in one in 2000.

I would think this model would have been good for a Brooklyn Bridge service (Actually once considered in the Manhattan Bridge Alternatives list, but the problem was the weight restriction and probably also height in some places, for regular sized buses).

I remember those Orion II's well. They were often nicknamed "Ice Cream trucks". They were CNG as well. Probably the most unreliable buses we ever had, heck, the first one broke down on its maiden voyage.

Its too bad, because the concept was good for low ridership routes. I remember seeing them on the N73/N74, N51, and the N93 Nassau Hub Shuttle, back when it was a full loop. I assume they are long gone, I remember seeing them sitting in the yard years ago, but they probably got scrapped.

Archived