"Derailed" New York Magazine

*Derailed"

By Clive Thompson

Beset by floods and fires, and built on technology that predates the Model T, the subway, the very essence of New York, has becom frighteningly fragile. And now that the MTA has dug itself into a deep financial hole, it has started traveling back in time to 1975.

"Derailed" by Clive Thompson: http://www.nymag.com/nymetro/news/features/11160/

Very informative and interesting four page news article that appeared in New York Magazine on May 21, 2005 and is applicable now in 2010. First part of a three part series on the coming subway crises.

This was such a great article, I still have the original issue in my room- it has great pictures that are not on the website of a "new" N train that is really just a very shiny old tech train (I believe it was an R-32 without the flipdot sign), as well as track workers clearing gunk from the subway drains.

Also, if you look closely, they quote T/O Dennis Boyd in the article- the same exact guy from the NY Times' "ask a T/O" section this week! Is he like an unofficial spokesman or something?

I wonder about CBTC being the savior that lets them retire the old signaling system. Didn't they have to keep the old system on the (L) as a backup b/c the CBTC was not reliable enough to depend on? I know Philly's subway surface light rail system has had a lot of problems with CBTC.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder about CBTC being the savior that lets them retire the old signaling system. Didn't they have to keep the old system on the (L) as a backup b/c the CBTC was not reliable enough to depend on? I know Philly's subway surface light rail system has had a lot of problems with CBTC.

That and they didn't order enough R143s to satisfy ridership requirements.

This was such a great article, I still have the original issue in my room- it has great pictures that are not on the website of a "new" N train that is really just a very shiny old tech train (I believe it was an R-32 without the flipdot sign), as well as track workers clearing gunk from the subway drains.

Also, if you look closely, they quote T/O Dennis Boyd in the article- the same exact guy from the NY Times' "ask a T/O" section this week! Is he like an unofficial spokesman or something?

Thank you. :tup:

Archived