Difference between extra extra and road extra as train operator

MattTrain

I have heard the terms road extra and extra extra in train operator discussions. I would like to go in depth as of what these terms mean.

In a nut shull Extra Extra/Road Extra same thing=no life Crew offfcie controls your tours of duty and days off..

Now "Picked Extra List" Your tours and RDO's cant be changed you picked them.

Now if you have to go for training then it could be changed.

There you go hope that hepls.

And some T/O's are on the extra board for a very long time, since seniority moves the slowest in RTO.

Extra Board is a job assigment you mean Extra Extra i was that for four and a half years. Two years ago you had T/O's and C/R's just off probation picking Jobs...

Look for that to continue soon.

look for which one to continue? people spending 4 yrs as an extra extra? or people picking as soon as they finish probation?

The latter T/O's got thier papers in thier back pockets, 13 alone retired in the B Div while the pick was going on.

Thanks, Rob. I highly appreciate it. Does the Extra Extra/Road Extra also have to do with what lines you are assigned as well?

Glad to have helped.

Road Extra means just that, road extra they can assign you to any line any time anyplace...

Sometimes they "try" to keep you close to home, but Needs Of The Service comes 1st...

Extra Extra is simply the nickname for Road Extra since people often confuse Extra List (having the seniority to choose Extra with a set tour, section and days off) and Road Extra (having the seniority to do squat). Right now the average time to spend on Road Extra is a little under two years.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; BREW 3.1.5; en )/800x480 Samsung SCH-U960)

Extra Extra is simply the nickname for Road Extra since people often confuse Extra List (having the seniority to choose Extra with a set tour, section and days off) and Road Extra (having the seniority to do squat). Right now the average time to spend on Road Extra is a little under two years.

SWEET

what kinds of things do they have train operators do on WAA?

W.A.A. means "work as assigned". You might relay a train, lay-up a train, take a train to the car wash or another yard, whatever. That's today's W.A.A. . With "Uncle Fester's" broadbanding history it may soon mean get a mop, clean the train, rest room or crew room, sweep the platforms or whatever.

W.A.A. means "work as assigned". You might relay a train, lay-up a train, take a train to the car wash or another yard, whatever. That's today's W.A.A. . With "Uncle Fester's" broadbanding history it may soon mean get a mop, clean the train, rest room or crew room, sweep the platforms or whatever.

I thought T/Os already had to carry a mop to clean the cab since cleaners aren't allowed inside? :)

I thought T/Os already had to carry a mop to clean the cab since cleaners aren't allowed inside? :)

IDK about other terminals but the cleaners at my terminal will mop my cab any time I ask them to. There are times I'll do it myself if they're busy doing something else or if the train is going out immediately and they're in another car. I don't want " Uncle Fester" to have an excuse to cut the cleaner's positions, too.

Archived