NB 7 tunnel holed through

Kamen Rider

Well in the case for the SAS, they have just the one and I think they are going to reuse it - thus the late opening. That's what I don't get. They could speed things up if they had two of them working at the same time and perhaps using them again for the next portion.

Now it'll take twice as long because they only have one working on the SAS.

Dumb question: how many tbms are working on the (7) extension right now?

I still don't get why the SAS only has one TBM. They could maybe reuse them if they get the funding to start drilling further north and south of phase 1.

I agree. Trust me, I smell politics around. Bloomberg just wants his political agenda to look good before he leaves City Hall. They will try to get this done in breakneck speed so that he could have something to show off about: "I am the Mayor that brought about a subway extension". The Hudson Yards bull isn't even built yet, AFAIK. The project would have made more sense if the buildings and the subway were being built simultaneously.

Ideally, there should be 2 TBMs for the Phase 1 project because it benefits more people and plus Phase 1 covers a distance that is several times longer than between PABT and the yards. What's needed more?

The TBMs that just came out from the ground would need some repairs, especially the cutters. But IMO, once they get fixed, they should go straight to the UES and start on the 2nd tunnel. We shan't waste time.

I was at a school trip at an urban planning center in Manhattan (Park Avenue in the 20's) that is responsible for these types of large scale projects, and the supervisors were telling us that there are only like 2 companies that make the TBM's, one being in Switzerland, and there are very few machines and tons of projects worldwide that need them. THere is actually a waiting list to use them, so we cannot simply take them from one project and stick them in another one.

As a funny aside, they also mentioned that one machine is currently stuck in a mountain somewhere in Europe when the rock it was cutting became too soft, and they need a second TBM to rescue the first one.

Given how much money has been pumped into these drillings now, the MTA may as well pay more to retain them so the SAS can be done sooner. What's a few hundred million $ more at this point? May as well do it sooner and get something built before they run out of money and close everything up with nothing to show for it.

I was at a school trip at an urban planning center in Manhattan (Park Avenue in the 20's) that is responsible for these types of large scale projects, and the supervisors were telling us that there are only like 2 companies that make the TBM's, one being in Switzerland, and there are very few machines and tons of projects worldwide that need them. THere is actually a waiting list to use them, so we cannot simply take them from one project and stick them in another one.

As a funny aside, they also mentioned that one machine is currently stuck in a mountain somewhere in Europe when the rock it was cutting became too soft, and they need a second TBM to rescue the first one.

But even so, WHY two for bureaucratic waste when the SAS needs them?

But even so, WHY two for bureaucratic waste when the SAS needs them?

I don't know the details of the project, and I am never one to try to understand construction companies and corrupt government influence. Most likely, it has something to do with the companies that did the initial surveys of the projects and put in the orders. Perhaps two different companies did the (7) survey and the (T) survey? Again, thats pure speculation.

All I know is that ordering these machines is very complex, and they can't just order a second one now.

I don't know the details of the project, and I am never one to try to understand construction companies and corrupt government influence. Most likely, it has something to do with the companies that did the initial surveys of the projects and put in the orders. Perhaps two different companies did the (7) survey and the (T) survey? Again, thats pure speculation.

All I know is that ordering these machines is very complex, and they can't just order a second one now.

My theory is that it has something to do with Bloomberg's political career. Face it, the Hudson Yds plan was on the table since 2005. That's like Bloomberg's pet project. He wants something done so as to make his career look good. A one-station extension could be built "fairly quickly", so thus the city decided to fork up a sum so that this can go through.

To be fairly honest, how many people will benefit? The buildings that are slated to be built are not even there yet. We can't speculate how many tenants it would benefit because it would be inherently wrong to assume that everyone in there needs the subway.

And look, the tunnels reach close enough to 23rd to build a station that could benefit the Chelsea Piers community. Sure, there may be some engineering involved, but if the project was for the people, it would probably have gone to Chelsea Piers.

My theory is that it has something to do with Bloomberg's political career. Face it, the Hudson Yds plan was on the table since 2005. That's like Bloomberg's pet project. He wants something done so as to make his career look good. A one-station extension could be built "fairly quickly", so thus the city decided to fork up a sum so that this can go through.

To be fairly honest, how many people will benefit? The buildings that are slated to be built are not even there yet. We can't speculate how many tenants it would benefit because it would be inherently wrong to assume that everyone in there needs the subway.

And look, the tunnels reach close enough to 23rd to build a station that could benefit the Chelsea Piers community. Sure, there may be some engineering involved, but if the project was for the people, it would probably have gone to Chelsea Piers.

I'm sure Bloomberg's political ambitions are part of the equation, but the Chelsea area, and the area to the north of it, have grown immensely in the last few years, with the meatpacking area changing from an industrial area into a hip area with high-rises. It is starting to become more tourist-y already, and this extension will help make it more popular, and will give the residents a way to go crosstown and into Queens very easily (it is fair to say that all residents of Manhattan use the subway to an extent).

Long Island City is also growing, and the city is pushing that growth, so the (7) line is getting all of this attention. I do think that the line is going to be more crowded in the future, and this is a necessary step, along with the planned CBTC implementation. At least the city is not just trying to attract people without thinking about the transportation needs that go along with the people, which is what they would have done 15 years ago.

I'm sure Bloomberg's political ambitions are part of the equation, but the Chelsea area, and the area to the north of it, have grown immensely in the last few years, with the meatpacking area changing from an industrial area into a hip area with high-rises. It is starting to become more tourist-y already, and this extension will help make it more popular, and will give the residents a way to go crosstown and into Queens very easily (it is fair to say that all residents of Manhattan use the subway to an extent).

Long Island City is also growing, and the city is pushing that growth, so the (7) line is getting all of this attention. I do think that the line is going to be more crowded in the future, and this is a necessary step, along with the planned CBTC implementation. At least the city is not just trying to attract people without thinking about the transportation needs that go along with the people, which is what they would have done 15 years ago.

Exactly, if the Chelsea area is growing, why not build a stop at 23rd since pretty much the tunnels approach the area.

Archived