Straphangers furious to learn MTA boss driven around by 160G driver

By Elaine Ramirez and Tamer El-Ghobashy

Daily News Writers

Monday, March 3rd 2008

[float=right]amd_derekloper.jpg

Obuchoska for News

'It shouldn't be beneath him to ride the train.'

Derek Loper, Crown Heights

[/float]Straphangers already angry at Monday's fare hikes were downright furious to find out that MTA boss Elliot Sander is driven around by a six-figure salary cop.

"It shouldn't be beneath him to ride the train," said Derek Loper, 25, a lab assistant from Crown Heights, Brooklyn. "The hike wasn't enough to complain about, but hearing about a chauffeur makes me think again."

The MTA CEO and executive director, who pushed for the fare increases, is regularly driven between his Queens home and MTA headquarters and meetings in Albany by a police detective who earned $160,000 last year, the Daily News reported Sunday.

That sum included $70,000 in overtime he has received since being assigned to the job when Sander began running the authority in January 2007.

"[sander] should be riding the subway every day!" exclaimed Stephen Kaldon, 46, an artist from NoHo. "He should be down on the ground level and see what's going on."

What Sander might then realize, Loper said, is that while the cost of transit "goes up, the bad service stays the same."

An MTA spokesperson said Sander regularly takes the LIRR into the city and rides the rails daily.

After the fare changes, a single ride on the subway or bus remained $2 a swipe, but unlimited-ride MetroCards increased $1 for seven-day passes and $5 for monthlies.

For Teresa Zakow, who owns a small art restoration business in SoHo, it is no minor increase because she now has to pay her employees more.

"It's going to be a big change," said Zakow, 63, as she emerged from the Union Square subway hub. "It's not just a personal expense for me, it's my employees' lives, too."

Some commuters also complained that the new fares will leave them with awkward balances on their MetroCards.

"It makes no sense to me," said Davon Graham, 20, a DeVry University student who commutes from the Bronx to Queens.

Subway stations have posted signs explaining the formula commuters must use to avoid losing money on their cards because of the odd increments.

A token booth clerk in Union Square said he's been doing his part to soften the blow when confused riders ask him to explain the changes.

"People accept it as long as you say it nicely," he said. "I have not encountered any problems yet."

that is totally ridiculous. maybe that's why he wouldn't care less about stuff like fare hikes and poor service, because he doesn't even see it himself. and i doubt any of his advisors and other executives even step foot in the subway as well

that is totally ridiculous. maybe that's why he wouldn't care less about stuff like fare hikes and poor service, because he doesn't even see it himself. and i doubt any of his advisors and other executives even step foot in the subway as well

Your right.

Not surprising to hear, but its terrible.

Your right.

Not surprising to hear, but its terrible.

Yeah I have to agree with both of those. In my opinion, if you are in charge of the MTA, you should ride the buses, subways, trains, etc. in order to get a full grasp of the situation every day. I think this idea is just a lot more logical and might be able to speed up progress. And wow, what a lucky drivers, 160g's just for driving. They should really hire me. I can do it 150k :(

Yeah I have to agree with both of those. In my opinion, if you are in charge of the MTA, you should ride the buses, subways, trains, etc. in order to get a full grasp of the situation every day. I think this idea is just a lot more logical and might be able to speed up progress. And wow, what a lucky drivers, 160g's just for driving. They should really hire me. I can do it 150k :)

I'll do it for $100,000, in a Platinum Service or Conversion Coach (Prevost of course), long as it has all the flashing red/blue lights, an air horn, and a front grille bar. Move or be moved, unless your another bus, coach, or truck.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that were true.

Archived