NJT Equipment Move , but wait whats powering it?

Could have something to do with a phase gap. There is no voltage change at that location though. However, I find it unlikely that a station would be located near a phase gap, because all trains must lower the pantographs through the area and it would adversely affect the performance of accelerating trains.

• 2 weeks later...
Could have something to do with a phase gap. There is no voltage change at that location though. However, I find it unlikely that a station would be located near a phase gap, because all trains must lower the pantographs through the area and it would adversely affect the performance of accelerating trains.

Matawan and Red Bank are both located near phasegaps on the NJCL...the 44 was not on battery power, you don't have pans your not going anywhere, thats the name of the game. Especially with that many cars

What probably happened was there was a wire problem and whomever the operator was, was told to drop pans, through the area, he certainly had enough speed.

44 in the middle!!! Rare catch!

Probably a pans down order as stated, you can't run a 44 off battery power, those batteries are only to power the loco itself, as in the lights, pantos, indicators etc etc, the pax cars (& arrows) have their own batteries for lights and doors. Strangest sight i ever saw was a fully lit up (on the outside) set of comets at hoboken, tail lights and destination signs illuminated, dark inside, no loco at the head end! :eek:

- A

A 44 in the middle happens more than you think. As long as you have a working cab and power that works somewhere in the consist its a go.

Well, yea it happens, but people rarely catch it on video as far as i've seen. What would really make me laugh is having one in the middle of a revenue move, the looks on the peoples faces bahahaha. :cool:^_^

By the way, i'm guessing that was 4402, since it dont (revenue) move no more, course it coulda been any of them but i couldnt make the # out from the video.

Thinking again bout the drop pan order, i believe the wires may have been sagging from the hard points out each end of the station caused by the heat & they drop the pan to keep it from potentially catching, since in the station the lines are both hard point to hard point and in the shade.... just a theory.

- A

Archived