06-25-10 Construction Progress at New Black Rock Station in Fairfield CT

Fred G

I stopped by Fairfield today and checked up on the new station construction at Black Rock.

01+Black+Rock+viewing+SW+01.jpg

View southwest

02+Station+Building.jpg

The new station overpass

04+MN+train+passing+through.jpg

Complete with train.

05+View+west+from+Black+Rock+Tpk.jpg

View west from Black Rock Tpk

Thanks for looking.

your pal,

Fred

Fred, you never fail to amaze me with the way you give consistently give me a different perspective of the tracks on which I trek ten times a week. Excellent shots, which is what you always offer us.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the history of the Black Rock station, it was originally designed to be the jump-off for a regional tourist, consumer and entertainment draw, with a hotel, fairly upscale shopping complex and, if I'm not mistaken a gaming and OTB complex. Originally planned to open in 2006 or so, Black Rock has become another victim of an extremely contagious pandemic of budgetary overruns, community bipartianship, red tape and a series of design scale-backs.

I'm actually surprised at how swift the construction has progressed and this will be a great complement to the new M8's, another overdue project. Along with a number of station rehabs, the catenary, tie and rail replacements, Danbury Branch re-electrification and signal project, ACSES and switch upgrades, the new maintenance facility in New Haven, new SLE stations and expanded service, yadda yadda yadda. . . . It's nice to see that CDOT and MNRR are investing a little bit of pride and TLC into the backbone of Connecticut's rail network.

Archived