Why do the city's Orion V CNGs sound different from LI's?

Joel Up Front

You can't say that the 1600's sound like the O7CNG's.The 1600's have a DD50G to a Allison B500R.The O7's have a DD50G/ZF.Not even the ones that have the DD50G/Allison O7's sound anywhere near the 1600's.
They have the same exact B400R, both are 5 speed B400R transmissions with the same EXACT gear ratios. If they we're B500R they'd have 6 gears like the MCI's.

Also 1636: Rode it on the N88, it took 4 minutes for it to reach 40MPH floored! It got really messed up badly, sputtering everywhere. It is really really tired, slowest bus I've rode ever!

They have the same exact B400R, both are 5 speed B400R transmissions with the same EXACT gear ratios. If they we're B500R they'd have 6 gears like the MCI's.

Also 1636: Rode it on the N88, it took 4 minutes for it to reach 40MPH floored! It got really messed up badly, sputtering everywhere. It is really really tired, slowest bus I've rode ever!

1636 crapping out? WTF? No way dude, that driver had to suck! That bus runs hard dude!

1636 crapping out? WTF? No way dude, that driver had to suck! That bus runs hard dude!
I swear to everything he was SMASHING that gas pedal on the floor, that bus was not responding. 1636 got really messed up recently. Sputters and all, it lost ALL power when it shifted into 5th gear. It went back down to 4th gear. The engine is so bad the transmission even acts up! The driver was cursing the bus out when he got to Freeport on the N88. Something terribly wrong happened to 1636.

Oh and I know the difference between slow driver and slow bus, it was a slow bus period. :P

WHAT!?The Cummins L10G O5's are 200 times better than the DD50G ones.Too bad you never had a chance to ride 1400.Only L10G bus that actually whistled.Beyond DONE!WWWWOOOO!

I rerember that bus, 1522 also does that sound.

I swear to everything he was SMASHING that gas pedal on the floor, that bus was not responding. 1636 got really messed up recently. Sputters and all, it lost ALL power when it shifted into 5th gear. It went back down to 4th gear. The engine is so bad the transmission even acts up! The driver was cursing the bus out when he got to Freeport on the N88. Something terribly wrong happened to 1636.

Oh and I know the difference between slow driver and slow bus, it was a slow bus period. :P

LMAO, wow. But anyways, 1523 seems to be a little wonky lately, it was running real hot and the fans were on full blast, it crapped out at the 179th St (F) station due to overheating while riding it to Jamaica on the N22 the other day.

The 1400s and early (1524 and lower) 1500s are starting to crap out a lot...

1400 and 1470 are long gone now, or are just shells at ECH.

I can't remember which post-1998 Orion V has my favorite engine note... they all sound the same (low RPM) up until the turbo kicks in.

Upon examining the engine notes more closely, I've determined that the upper 1600s (1650 and up) are also on my list. Nice ride quality, don't fog up when it rains, and the LED signs are easily visible, even when it's dark!

Foothill Transit out in LA has a few Orion Vs with the same setup and roar as the 1600s. Along with the D60s and those 45-foot Compobuses, those CNGs make some of the best noises to come out of a transit vehicle.

The later 1600s have a different gear ratio and their DD50Gs are spec'd differently which explains their bassy sound, the 1500s and anything below 1634 sound much like the V CNGs MTA Bus has although LIB's Vs are tweaked slightly

2000 Orion V cng doesn't ring at all,it sound little similar to 2004 Orion V cng.1998 Orion V cng have a ring to it.

Archived