Why do the city's Orion V CNGs sound different from LI's?

Joel Up Front

The reason is Long Island Bus has Orion V CNGs with a Cummins Engine (1405 to 1525). However, they also have Orion V CNGs from 1999 (1526 to 1633) that should sound like the MTA Orion V CNGs due to them having a Detroit Diesel 50G. The newer Orion V CNGs with the orange signs should sound a bit different from the 1999 CNGs for some reason I don't recall.

Why is this? I know about the Orion VIIs in the city being built to different specs, but what of the Vs?
There's a long list of reasons why:

1405-1525 have the Cummins L10G engine, as heard here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy7FTe5MqF4Cait Sith's video

1526-1633 have the Detroit Diesel Series 50G engine, as heard here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTSYwT0oCcCait Sith's video

Note how this bus sounds like a MTA Bus Company Orion V CNG, they're very similar, the gear ratios (transmission) are set up a little bit different.

Finally 1634-1699 have the Detroit Diesel Series 50G engine (with the exception of two having the John Deere 6081H engine), as heard here.

Spectacular66's video

Note how 1693 sounds like a VII CNG 7560-7684 from NYCTA, they're set up almost exactly the same way.

There are only 17 Cummins L10G powered V CNG's from LIB though, as they have acquired the VII NG CNG's. Hope this helps out a bit!

I'm looking at Logan's helpful (and resourceful) TTMG wiki, and the bus roster for MTA's RBO...

NYC and MTA Bus run Orion Vs with the same Detroit Diesel engine and Allison B400R tranny combo (#5894-6349), but LIB's from 1526-1593 (and the sub 1550s are my favorite buses) sound different, even with the same engine/tranny.

Good example:

The first bus that rolls up is an Orion V CNG.. these remind me of the lower 1600s that LIB runs, but I think the gears are a bit taller for NYC's Orions for whatever (so they shift later).

There are only 17 Cummins L10G powered V CNG's from LIB though, as they have acquired the VII NG CNG's. Hope this helps out a bit!
You mean they got rid of the rest of them already?

That to me (the Cummins) is the sound of my December tours of LI to view the Christmas decorations.

Finally 1634-1699 have the Detroit Diesel Series 50G engine (with the exception of two having the John Deere 6081H engine), as heard here.

Spectacular66's video

Note how 1693 sounds like a VII CNG 7560-7684 from NYCTA, they're set up almost exactly the same way.

uh no the VII CNG sounds nothing like the 1600s at LIB and are not set up close to the same exact way.

There's a long list of reasons why:

1405-1525 have the Cummins L10G engine, as heard here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy7FTe5MqF4Cait Sith's video

1526-1633 have the Detroit Diesel Series 50G engine, as heard here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTSYwT0oCcCait Sith's video

Note how this bus sounds like a MTA Bus Company Orion V CNG, they're very similar, the gear ratios (transmission) are set up a little bit different.

Spectacular66's video

Sickle Cell, you forgot that Long Island Bus only has 1636 as its only John Deere-powered bus. Lol

The only other John Deere powered buses in the entire MTA system - two of them, if I recall correctly, former Queens Surface Corp. buses - are in storage.

I wonder where 1636 is lurking now. I don't think any of the operators that have driven that bus, or any passengers that have boarded and rode it, know why it's so unique....

uh no the VII CNG sounds nothing like the 1600s at LIB and are not set up close to the same exact way.

Uh, yes they do sound alike. Interior sounds are also alike but the VII's sound is drained out because of the low floor built interior and the insulation that is added onto the buses for compressed heat to the rear and the sound. The later 1600s have a compressed sound on the exterior. Nonetheless, they still do sound almost the same.

Damn it, I'd just love to get on a city bus and just... go somewhere. I HAVE to get on an RTS before they all get retired. If you ever see a movie set in the city, and you see a NYC bus, odds are it's one of those. All these YT vids are nice, especially for my favorite LIB O5s, but for the best experience, you just HAVE to climb aboard one and give the engine a good listen.

Upon examining the engine notes more closely, I've determined that the upper 1600s (1650 and up) are also on my list. Nice ride quality, don't fog up when it rains, and the LED signs are easily visible, even when it's dark!

Damn it, I'd just love to get on a city bus and just... go somewhere. I HAVE to get on an RTS before they all get retired. If you ever see a movie set in the city, and you see a NYC bus, odds are it's one of those. All these YT vids are nice, especially for my favorite LIB O5s, but for the best experience, you just HAVE to climb aboard one and give the engine a good listen.

Upon examining the engine notes more closely, I've determined that the upper 1600s (1650 and up) are also on my list. Nice ride quality, don't fog up when it rains, and the LED signs are easily visible, even when it's dark!

You'll lose your mind to these

I've been on 1636, it's based out of the Rockville Center depot, which operates the N4 (Only Rockville route that enters Queens - the rest are all handled by Mitchel Field), video is posted below along with some of my favorite 1600s, 1633-1635 and 1637-1699 are all 2003s and have that deep bass to them.

Here we have 1636, 1643, 1650 and 1693, all courtesy of me!

the 2003 orion v's at LIB sound different because of the Exaust setup

THAT is why I originally thought. A lot of the engine note you hear coming out of any sort of motor vehicle on the road is mostly the exhaust. (This is why the "new" Dodge Challenger is tuned to sound like the Challenger of old, at least the V8 models are.)

I went on a little bike ride an hour ago, but caught in the middle of that just nailed my town, leaving me soaking wet by the time I got back into VS. They keep saying they'll retire the old Vs from 1997 but I'd seen one (1503 running an unusually empty N4 bound for Freeport) while I was running along Merrick Road.

In the meantime, the other one I saw (1675 or something) going to Jamaica was full up (and I have never been on the N4 when it was that full) and the B/O didn't change the sign to read "Next Bus Please." I only see that at Hempstead when some operators don't want the bus to read "Not In Service" for whatever reason.

The only other John Deere powered buses in the entire MTA system - two of them, if I recall correctly, former Queens Surface Corp. buses - are in storage.

I wonder where 1636 is lurking now. I don't think any of the operators that have driven that bus, or any passengers that have boarded and rode it, know why it's so unique....

Actually the 2 in question,9835 is at Zerega being used as a training bus.9868 is in bus heaven.Ride the N1,2,4,8,14,25,31/32 to find 1636.(1)(A)(C)

Uh, yes they do sound alike. Interior sounds are also alike but the VII's sound is drained out because of the low floor built interior and the insulation that is added onto the buses for compressed heat to the rear and the sound. The later 1600s have a compressed sound on the exterior. Nonetheless, they still do sound almost the same.

You can't say that the 1600's sound like the O7CNG's.The 1600's have a DD50G to a Allison B500R.The O7's have a DD50G/ZF.Not even the ones that have the DD50G/Allison O7's sound anywhere near the 1600's.

There are only 22 left in service from the late 1990s. Personally not a fan of those Orions, I like NYC's better.

WHAT!?The Cummins L10G O5's are 200 times better than the DD50G ones.Too bad you never had a chance to ride 1400.Only L10G bus that actually whistled.Beyond DONE!WWWWOOOO!

You can't say that the 1600's sound like the O7CNG's.The 1600's have a DD50G to a Allison B500R.The O7's have a DD50G/ZF.Not even the ones that have the DD50G/Allison O7's sound anywhere near the 1600's.

You fail to see the point. This is not about the transmission, its the exhaust setup and exterior/interior sounds which makes the two relatively close to one another in terms of similarities.

Archived