Small Question About Buses

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

IIRC its an 125 gallon tank and the diesels get like 4-6 MPG (depends on the bus type) and like 8-10 MPG with the hybrids

How long does a New York City local and express bus run on a full tank of gas

Typical driving fuel range: Diesel: 350-450 miles; CNG: around 250-350 miles. Again, it varies due to many variables.....

It also depends on bus fuel tanks:

- RTS Diesel: 150 gallons

- New Flyer D60HF: 150 gallons

- Orion V Diesel: 150 gallons

- Orion VII hybrid: 100 gallons

- MCI D4500 buses: 164 gallons

- Normal 40 foot CNG buses holds 6 cylinder tanks - 3023 scf (standard cubic feet) compressed @3600 psi (pounds per square inch) each, total fuel capacity is 18,138 scf. It is standard for 40 foot bus in US. {125 scf of natural gas = 1 gallon of gasoline} (So about 145 gallons for the conversion)

*Note: I do not know if MTA orders 7 or 8 CNG tanks on a 40 foot bus. I have to double check; Im sure its 6 CNG tanks.

and what is the procedure when a bus needs a refill?

It really depends on the depot operations around MTA system...Usually buses are fueled and washed and clean up (MTA probably cut those to save money already) upon PM pull-in for the night. This is part of the PM drill which includes coin removal and data transfer crap, as well as routine line maintenance. Most bus depots don't begin fueling until 7PM, and they will run it til until 3AM in the morning to get ready for AM rush.

IIRC its an 125 gallon tank and the diesels get like 4-6 MPG (depends on the bus type) and like 8-10 MPG with the hybrids

You wish the hybrids get 10 MPG. That will save MTA ass a lot of dough for ever on fuel.

In NYC, hybrids get at least 4 to 7 mpg. 40 foot diesel gets 3 to 6 mpg. CNG buses runs 3 to as high as 5 mpg. New Flyer D60HF runs really poorly about 1 to as high as 3 mpg. MCI buses runs like 4 to 7 mpg, they usually have the highest fuel efficient and better MDBF numbers.

Bus get refill every other day using bus number order

Example: 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2018 fuel on Monday

2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2019 fuel on Tuesday

That might be the procedure for the express buses, but as for the local buses they get fueled every day, usually after the pull in for the evening.

Bus get refill every other day using bus number order

Example: 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2018 fuel on Monday

2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2019 fuel on Tuesday

This is news to me as well.

That might be the procedure for the express buses, but as for the local buses they get fueled every day, usually after the pull in for the evening.

Not always.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread, I want correct myself from the previous post....

- RTS buses: 125 gallons not 150.

- Not very sure about the MCI D-series model fuel tank size, they are arrange from 166 to 192 gallons. The newer models right now is 164 gallons.

- The conversion method for the CNG for diesel (a better method then gasoline): 1 gallon of diesel is equal to 139 scf CNG....

So...

6 CNG cylinder tanks (3023 scf @ 3600 psi, 70 degrees Fahrenheit) = 18,138 scf or 130 gallons (using the formula for diesel) total fuel capacity

7 tanks = 21,161 scf or 152 gallons

8 tanks = 24,184 scf or 173 gallons

Note: CNG tank size is approximate 15" x 100" (Cylinder diameter x Length)

Add additional info:

- The NovaBus LFS articulated diesel fuel tank is 134 gallons

How long does a New York City local and express bus run on a full tank of gas and what is the procedure when a bus needs a refill?

i know at LIB they get fuel everyday.

i know sometimes before i go out i go to the pumps and fuel up if i dont have at least 1/2 tank of CNG

You all fuel your own buses??

we dont fuel it. when i get assigned a bus and if its less than half tank. i pull it on the fueling pumps and someone who is a mechanic or cleaner or fueler will fuel the bus. drivers do not put fuel in there own bus. the only thing we will do if we need fuel is pull the bus on the pumps and wait to get some fuel before leaving on our run

we dont fuel it. when i get assigned a bus and if its less than half tank. i pull it on the fueling pumps and someone who is a mechanic or cleaner or fueler will fuel the bus. drivers do not put fuel in there own bus. the only thing we will do if we need fuel is pull the bus on the pumps and wait to get some fuel before leaving on our run

Ok.... I was about to say....

Archived