My mom and dad wont let me railfan

R68 Subway Car

Yep. I have to laugh when I see people "flash" stuff like they're FBI agents. Passes, badges, PBA cards, this photo directive, all sorts of stuff. Cops don't like it, and don't think it means crap to them.

Amen to that. Not to mention the ones who say it's OK to do this sort of thing because a cop "can't" shoot aren't seeing the important picture which is this: the cop values his own life more than he values his career. If he fears for his life - if ANYONE fears for their life - they will act to defend it. Which means if he's got a gun, he MAY use it. If he does, it's not going to make a damn bit of difference to any of you after you're laying in a casket or a hospital bed with a permanent injury, if that cop keeps his job or not.

And just think, over pictures of trains? If you're going to tempt fate and do things that run a high risk of getting you shot there are more "worth it" things to do it over.

Amen to that. Not to mention the ones who say it's OK to do this sort of thing because a cop "can't" shoot aren't seeing the important picture which is this: the cop values his own life more than he values his career. If he fears for his life - if ANYONE fears for their life - they will act to defend it. Which means if he's got a gun, he MAY use it. If he does, it's not going to make a damn bit of difference to any of you after you're laying in a casket or a hospital bed with a permanent injury, if that cop keeps his job or not.

And just think, over pictures of trains? If you're going to tempt fate and do things that run a high risk of getting you shot there are more "worth it" things to do it over.

Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6...

That's weird, I've never had that problem before. I've been stopped by cops before, and pulled out the photo directive. Then again, I told them I had the (MTA) rules on me beforehand so they had an idea of what I was reaching into my pocket for. So IMO, if you ever get stopped by a cop, by all means show them the rules or whatever, just do it right. First of all, with some cops you just need to explain what you're doing and that it's just a hobby of yours for them to understand. But if it ever has to go beyond that point just say you have the rules on you and calmly take it out of your pocket and you shouldn't have problems.

Bringing this back ontopic, I wish you luck in talking to your parents R68.

Yesterday, I went on a brief trip after my college classes yesterday. I took my cam with me. My mom and dad asked me where I was and asked that I be honest. I told them I was photographing trains. They lost their minds over what I did and I told them over and over again that it is absolutely legal to photography MTA Trains on the NYCS, MNRR, and LIRR and it says so in the MTA rules which my dad (a transit worker) should know. However they told me that they arrested people for photographing trains. I said they never had. They also told me that 9/11 has changed everything and that I cannot do this and that it is illegal and I can be arrested. I love my parents, but I completely disagree with them on this issue and I have facts that prove it is not illegal. Please respect my parents if you want to reply.

Sorry dude but being that you're a full fledged adult already,hearing that kinda crap even from your parents its just beyond ridiculous.The last thing at this point in your life that you need is to be arguing with your parents about something like this.And again using 9/11 as an excuse for valid reasoning in situations like this is as old as how long its been since the dinosaurs ruled the planet.You love buses and trains,this is your hobby,continue to do what you do,enjoy it and most importantly,DON'T LET ANYONE tell you whats right and wrong when it comes to photography of public transportation cause 9 times outta 10,they're wrong.

Guys, thanks for your advice. I will talk with my parents about it in the future.

Dude, why should you have to talk to your parents about a hobby you've been doing for years? You are a grown man, you are not doing anything illegal, there's nothing to talk about IMO. Wow, I'm sorry but this is just bizarre to me.

To R-68:If I was you,I would've just lie and told I was going outside to take pictures of random stuff like trees or famous buildings or hot good lookin girls(maybe not,because your parent might think something is wrong with you)

Dude, why should you have to talk to your parents about a hobby you've been doing for years? You are a grown man, you are not doing anything illegal, there's nothing to talk about IMO. Wow, I'm sorry but this is just bizarre to me.

Because he still lives under his parents' roof so they have some say over what he does, is why he should have to talk with them.

Nothing bizarre about that.

Archived