My mom and dad wont let me railfan

R68 Subway Car

Yesterday, I went on a brief trip after my college classes yesterday. I took my cam with me. My mom and dad asked me where I was and asked that I be honest. I told them I was photographing trains. They lost their minds over what I did and I told them over and over again that it is absolutely legal to photography MTA Trains on the NYCS, MNRR, and LIRR and it says so in the MTA rules which my dad (a transit worker) should know. However they told me that they arrested people for photographing trains. I said they never had. They also told me that 9/11 has changed everything and that I cannot do this and that it is illegal and I can be arrested. I love my parents, but I completely disagree with them on this issue and I have facts that prove it is not illegal. Please respect my parents if you want to reply.

Touchy issue. True, Tuesday September 11th has changed some things. Photography is one of them.

Though you are taking College classes, as long as you live at home, you should respect your parents.

Maybe you could speak with your Father, and show him a copy of 21 NYCRR 1050. 21 NYCRR 1050.9c pertains to the TA and MaBSTOA; 21 NYCRR 1040.4f pertains to SIR. You should also be aware of 21 NYCRR 1050.6 (Use Of The Transit System).

While you should respect your parents, and not disobey them, if you ever find yourself in a situation concerning your camera, you should always use commen sense and civility in talking with the police officer or transit employee.

Best wishes and keep the faith.

Sorry kid, but you're going to have to be blunt with them and tell them it's perfectly legal to take pictures in the subway and railroads, and that it's a hobby you enjoy.

You should obey them but at this point in your life (because you're college as you say), they should be easier on something like this, it's not like you're looking for trouble.

On one hand, you're an adult and you should be able to do whatever you feel like doing.

On the other hand, if you live under your parents roof, then you are subject to their rules regardless of your age (even at 30).

Realistically speaking, the latter takes precedence and the only way to get out of it is to get your own place.

I'm sure most of the adults on this board can relate to that at one time. Sheet, I know that I can.

Yesterday, I went on a brief trip after my college classes yesterday. I took my cam with me. My mom and dad asked me where I was and asked that I be honest. I told them I was photographing trains. They lost their minds over what I did and I told them over and over again that it is absolutely legal to photography MTA Trains on the NYCS, MNRR, and LIRR and it says so in the MTA rules which my dad (a transit worker) should know. However they told me that they arrested people for photographing trains. I said they never had. They also told me that 9/11 has changed everything and that I cannot do this and that it is illegal and I can be arrested. I love my parents, but I completely disagree with them on this issue and I have facts that prove it is not illegal. Please respect my parents if you want to reply.

Did they ever notice the hundreds of photographs you've already taken over the years without any issues, that we know of?

Man i thought u were a teenager, but i guess im wrong..

Still continue to take pictures of what ever you want as long as you obey your parents and follow rules and laws out there. Speak to them again and show them it is legal. Hey maybe even show then NYC Subway.org besides your photos.

Show them this too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railfan

To help them understand what this hobby is about..

I get tired of hearing Photography is a terrorist act or weapon.. Its just taking a picture not bombing the universe.. But thanks to 9/11 people are even more scared these days smfh... blah blah blah

BTW you said your dad is a worker, well if hes a worker for the t/a then he should know the rules of the (MTA) as an employee himself otherwise he didnt read the rules for some of it.. Show him ON the (MTA) website not paper or writing..

Good luck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railfan

To help them understand what this hobby is about..

Excessively enthusiastic railfans are sometimes referred to pejoratively as foamers,[3] especially by American rail workers, in reference to the joking notion that they foam at the mouth in their excitement over train operations.[4]

Yeah, that Wikipedia article is really going to make this a better situation.

Make sure they visit my profile so they can see that it's perfectly fine and if they want we could all CodeBreak:p Look dude you are under A Roof that they Rule so it should come like this ,If this is your hobby then they should understand ,Tell them it least Mom and Dad I aint doing drugs ,Then they should see that this is the least of thier worries .

Remember if your A good guy then they have nothing to worry about ok ok

By the way I am A very understanding Parent of (3) and if they wanna RailFan well then by all means :( Just playing thier young.

Show them the NYPD photo directive and a copy of the (MTA) rules so they understand that the NYPD can't do shit (even though some cops like to threaten that they can).

[To people in general]: Keep in mind, that though it is a Police directive - to waive in the face of a cop to show them you have rights to take pics can earn a swift figurative 'kick in the ass'. Basically, be respectful to them and don't be arrogant even if they are wrong. Do NOT waive that paper in their faces is what I'm getting at.

Cops got the gun and cuffs, so if they tell you to stop, dont even bother arguing

Lol! That's funny! I've never had that problem thankfully. If they ever told me to stop, I would just look at them like they were crazy. I may tell them what I am doing if they are polite and respectfull, but they can have all the cuffs and guns they want. I'm not doing anything illegal, and I refuse to let someone trample all over my rights. There is never a need to argue. Even if they are being rude, kill them with kindness and continue to do what you do.

Cops got the gun and cuffs, so if they tell you to stop, dont even bother arguing

Yes, a gun that if they ever pull out and threaten you, and you're unarmed, then they can kiss their career goodbye.

Just because they have a gun, doesn't mean that they can use in any situation, especially if their lives haven't been threatened.

If someone pulls out a weapon at a cop, thats a different story....

Also when talking to a cop, don't just reach into your pockets to find the paper regarding photography because the cop doesn't know what your gonna pull out of your pocket. I did that once without thinking and the cop kinda half pulled out his gun but then he lectured me on not doing that and forgot about the photography thing.

Yes, a gun that if they ever pull out and threaten you, and you're unarmed, then they can kiss their career goodbye.

Just because they have a gun, doesn't mean that they can use in any situation, especially if their lives haven't been threatened.

If someone pulls out a weapon at a cop, thats a different story....

Reach into your pockets real fast and see what they do. Then they have all the reason to draw down on you.

Archived