What gym do you go to for your workouts?

mass production

word.

I think it's suspect anyway if you're influence/goal/standard is to model & chisel (lol) yourself to resemble... any one.

as far as cosmetic/outward appearance goes... I work out for two reasons:

- to delimit the recurrence of a pot belly, so to speak.... have to stop eating as much junk food though... much as I eat, I should be around 300, instead barely breaking 200 (lbs)... then again, I walk A LOT [just yesterday, I walked from the port authority bus terminal, home.. it was a nice breeze blowing, so I was like, why not]... that, tied into a somewhat high metabolism helps me maintain the weight I've currently been at for like, what, 6-7 years now.....

- to maintain some type of muscle tone on my arms (having an 81" wingspan doesn't help)... the men in my family all have long, fairly skinny arms for their builds... unfortunately, I'm on the same boat.... I love people that think I'm weak when they look at my arms though... this is why you don't underestimate (anyone), but especially skinny dudes w/ skinny arms to match - you ever took an elbow from one of em? those suckers hurt.

my legs are like tree trunks... I can leg press 20 reps of 1600 lbs easily... tend to max out around 2-3 reps of 2000... leg strength has never been a problem of mine (although I do have a history of hamstring injuries)....

my (entire) torso I don't really worry about... I'm not tryna get on the cover of some magazine.... I just don't wanna look at myself & know that I resemble the pregnant n***a on the block (lol)...

I don't want (what I call) the steroid neck, so to speak... look at triple H & jason giambi for an example of what I'm talking about.... I mean basically, I'm not tryna be solid as a goddamn rock...

you know what they say about too much of a good thing......

...and oh, you get more of a workout (and more results) then walking/jogging/running b/w two (or more) points, as opposed to walking/running/jogging in place on an exercise bike... it has to do w/ forward momentum, and some other element/relationship I don't quite remember at the moment.... retailers push ppl. to get exercise bikes due to how much they cost.... personally I find them bulky, and to be a complete waste of money....

Good points.

To be frank, since I haven't been to my cousins' all year, I haven't touched a single dumbbell or weight. I'm flimsy as hell but I'm not weak as people like to perceive me as. That being said, since I don't have weights, I look for other ways to work out. Sometimes lifting up and putting down a set of boxes can work. There are a lot of subtle things that we do that's our workout but we don't pay attention to it. Luckily, I live on the first floor of my apartment building so I only have to walk up four steps to get to the building, walk to my doorstep and that's it. If I lived on the fourth floor of my building, then running up and down the stairs to check up on the laundry, check the mail...lug a cartful of food after going grocery shopping...then THAT's a workout!

To add on, my school is on a slope...the southern end of my campus is higher up than the northern end. Skateboarding up a hill takes a lot out of you, but it's quicker than walking so that's why I do it.

Exercise bikes suck. You're not doing the work. The machine does the work. The treadmill is the best cardio (outside of an actual track). I have a slight pot belly but I can run a mile and a half in under 13 minutes. I'm 6 feet tall and I weigh somewhere between 195 and 200. Before I started running I was over 220 pounds. I occasionally eat junk food. I'm addicted to Joe's Best Burger. However, I try to limit junk food to two days a week. If you want to build muscle mass then the best way to do it is to eat grits and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Also, drink skim milk. The preacher curl (the funny looking machine where you sit down and place you elbows on a padding) instantly develops the biceps.

The thing is, with the bikes, it's more to than just pedaling continuously and continuously. People often overlook the resistance feature the exercise bikes have. I guess not every single one has it but my cousins' bike does (I keep telling them to get rid of the damn thing already because they hardly ever use it so in this circumstance, it's a waste of space). As for the food advice...the most I ever eat are nuggets and fries, and that's like every other day. It's amazing that I haven't gotten fat yet, but it's not just the junk food that will do you bad, it applies to other food as well. You can buy all the unprocessed foods from the supermarket all you want but if you don't counter your food intake with some form of exercising, then bottom line (especially if it's in your family genes), you'll get...

...fat.

^^ This....

It got under my skin when dudes would watch you workout to the tune that they did... and give you funny looks dam near everytime you finish on a piece of equipment (haters, basically)... like wtf is you lookin at... like they're slyly tryna measure up to a brotha & what not... I aint come here to compete... let me do me & keep it movin... talkin about "that's all the reps you got... I got this ni***, watch... watch"... eff' out of here with all that...

(dude did that, and I calmly walked out... I'm not gonna overcompensate in trying to prove how much stronger I am over someone else... that's how muscle tears/strains & pulls happen.. I've seen it happen)

that was the main reason I stopped going to gyms.... that, and there being some numbnut that would ALWAYS come over & start talkin to you, while you doin your thing... then dude(s) would join in, throwing you off your pace @ which you workout... You can be social, but do so while I'm between equipments, not while I'm on one....

god damn, and the narcissism... don't get me started w/ that...

It's not enough at most gym's to come in, workout w/o no direct outside interference in some way, shape, or form, and bounce... it wasn't really the fees (well, back then...) as it was the people that would come to gym's to show the next guy up....

Push eventually came to shove, and I gradually started saving up & building my own lil gym.....

Was a member of "Planet Fitness" up here and thankfully never had crap like that. Couple of other members might say "Hi' to me and then leave you alone.

Gave up going because i had a 1-year special of only $25 a month (after $25 processing fee)and could not afford full membership at $75 a month.

Might just get a bike, tread mill or something similar for my place and call it a day.

For the bike, I think it is best if you have like knee stiffness or something like that where you need to work out the cramps.

Tread mills, eh, they are good for cardio, but in the long run they are bad for your joints as you are going up and down hard working the knees and ankles. If you have sneakers that absorbs the shock from the running, then I guess it works better.

If you want a home gym type thing, get the X-factor at Modell's for like $100. It is a very good resistance workout for the whole body, and focuses on self-defense type moves while building you up. You need a good door to secure it to, but it stores easily and is relatively small and cheap.

I unwillingly walk an average of 1.5 miles a day. I'm usually rushing too so I'm basically power walking. That's good enough for now lol.

I don't remember what weights I can do, probably more now since it's been almost 2 years since I had "weight training" in HS.

Archived