What gym do you go to for your workouts?

mass production

I'm too lazy to work out...just kidding, my cousin said he could get me in at the gym that he works at (24-hour Fitness in SoHo) but we hardly keep in touch.

That's pretty cool you have a connection.

I used to go to the gym at the 92nd St Y, but I stopped going there after my 2nd week [i think it was a 1 month tryout]. If anything I'd like to go to a gym just to lift weights to build up my upper arm strength. But I don't really intend to do like a weekly thing, I'd prefer more like a once in a while build up. This since buying a weight lifting machine would take up too much space and is so damn expensive.

That's pretty cool you have a connection.

I used to go to the gym at the 92nd St Y, but I stopped going there after my 2nd week [i think it was a 1 month tryout]. If anything I'd like to go to a gym just to lift weights to build up my upper arm strength. But I don't really intend to do like a weekly thing, I'd prefer more like a once in a while build up. This since buying a weight lifting machine would take up too much space and is so damn expensive.

Yeah, My cousins used to have a ton of workout equipment in their rooms. They had a weight bench and weights but they got rid of the weight bench. Now they have an exercise bike. They had a treadmill but kept it for a week before they took it back to the store. Every summer I would go tot their house and do these subtle workouts for upper body strength. My arms are kinda flimsy but the muscle is there, I just need to build.

One very important tip is that you don't need to go overboard with the weights to build muscle (i.e. lift 50 pound dumbbells). Start with what you can and then slowly work your way up.

Thankfully I don't live in an apartment anymore cuz right now I have an exercise bike and an ab lounge chair that are both collecting dust now.

And yup, very true. I started off on the low end and worked my way up little by little. Well not the dumbbells, but the weightlifts.

=

Come to think of it: I never really felt too comfortable in the gym that I was at. I always liked being alone without anyone around. So, if I'm going to work out I would probably need to invest in a bowflex type machine or dumbbells.

i got my own weight in my basement...so i work out at my house. no need for an extra payment on hands.

^^ This....

It got under my skin when dudes would watch you workout to the tune that they did... and give you funny looks dam near everytime you finish on a piece of equipment (haters, basically)... like wtf is you lookin at... like they're slyly tryna measure up to a brotha & what not... I aint come here to compete... let me do me & keep it movin... talkin about "that's all the reps you got... I got this ni***, watch... watch"... eff' out of here with all that...

(dude did that, and I calmly walked out... I'm not gonna overcompensate in trying to prove how much stronger I am over someone else... that's how muscle tears/strains & pulls happen.. I've seen it happen)

that was the main reason I stopped going to gyms.... that, and there being some numbnut that would ALWAYS come over & start talkin to you, while you doin your thing... then dude(s) would join in, throwing you off your pace @ which you workout... You can be social, but do so while I'm between equipments, not while I'm on one....

god damn, and the narcissism... don't get me started w/ that...

It's not enough at most gym's to come in, workout w/o no direct outside interference in some way, shape, or form, and bounce... it wasn't really the fees (well, back then...) as it was the people that would come to gym's to show the next guy up....

Push eventually came to shove, and I gradually started saving up & building my own lil gym.....

It seems like no matter how hard I work out there's always someone who's bigger. I can lift the 65 pound dumbbell about 10 times with my right arm (the max for my left arm is 55 pounds). However, there are guys who can lift 80 without breaking a sweat. As for cardio, I run on the treadmill for 12 minutes. I start at 7.2. After the first mile I increase it to 8. After 1.25 miles, I increase it to 8.8. It is a tough workout but I'm seeing the results. Exercise bikes are a waste of time.

It seems like no matter how hard I work out there's always someone who's bigger. I can lift the 65 pound dumbbell about 10 times with my right arm (the max for my left arm is 55 pounds). However, there are guys who can lift 80 without breaking a sweat. As for cardio, I run on the treadmill for 12 minutes. I start at 7.2. After the first mile I increase it to 8. After 1.25 miles, I increase it to 8.8. It is a tough workout but I'm seeing the results. Exercise bikes are a waste of time.

Try not to be insecure about your size. People like to be influenced by the guys on the magazines who are so-called "ripped" when it's all air-brushed and fake so it's a waste of time if you ask me.

Try not to be insecure about your size. People like to be influenced by the guys on the magazines who are so-called "ripped" when it's all air-brushed and fake so it's a waste of time if you ask me.

word.

I think it's suspect anyway if you're influence/goal/standard is to model & chisel (lol) yourself to resemble... any one.

as far as cosmetic/outward appearance goes... I work out for two reasons:

- to delimit the recurrence of a pot belly, so to speak.... have to stop eating as much junk food though... much as I eat, I should be around 300, instead barely breaking 200 (lbs)... then again, I walk A LOT [just yesterday, I walked from the port authority bus terminal, home.. it was a nice breeze blowing, so I was like, why not]... that, tied into a somewhat high metabolism helps me maintain the weight I've currently been at for like, what, 6-7 years now.....

- to maintain some type of muscle tone on my arms (having an 81" wingspan doesn't help)... the men in my family all have long, fairly skinny arms for their builds... unfortunately, I'm on the same boat.... I love people that think I'm weak when they look at my arms though... this is why you don't underestimate (anyone), but especially skinny dudes w/ skinny arms to match - you ever took an elbow from one of em? those suckers hurt.

my legs are like tree trunks... I can leg press 20 reps of 1600 lbs easily... tend to max out around 2-3 reps of 2000... leg strength has never been a problem of mine (although I do have a history of hamstring injuries)....

my (entire) torso I don't really worry about... I'm not tryna get on the cover of some magazine.... I just don't wanna look at myself & know that I resemble the pregnant n***a on the block (lol)...

I don't want (what I call) the steroid neck, so to speak... look at triple H & jason giambi for an example of what I'm talking about.... I mean basically, I'm not tryna be solid as a goddamn rock...

you know what they say about too much of a good thing......

...and oh, you get more of a workout (and more results) then walking/jogging/running b/w two (or more) points, as opposed to walking/running/jogging in place on an exercise bike... it has to do w/ forward momentum, and some other element/relationship I don't quite remember at the moment.... retailers push ppl. to get exercise bikes due to how much they cost.... personally I find them bulky, and to be a complete waste of money....

word.

I think it's suspect anyway if you're influence/goal/standard is to model & chisel (lol) yourself to resemble... any one.

as far as cosmetic/outward appearance goes... I work out for two reasons:

- to delimit the recurrence of a pot belly, so to speak.... have to stop eating as much junk food though... much as I eat, I should be around 300, instead barely breaking 200 (lbs)... then again, I walk A LOT [just yesterday, I walked from the port authority bus terminal, home.. it was a nice breeze blowing, so I was like, why not]... that, tied into a somewhat high metabolism helps me maintain the weight I've currently been at for like, what, 6-7 years now.....

- to maintain some type of muscle tone on my arms (having an 81" wingspan doesn't help)... the men in my family all have long, fairly skinny arms for their builds... unfortunately, I'm on the same boat.... I love people that think I'm weak when they look at my arms though... this is why you don't underestimate (anyone), but especially skinny dudes w/ skinny arms to match - you ever took an elbow from one of em? those suckers hurt.

my legs are like tree trunks... I can leg press 20 reps of 1600 lbs easily... tend to max out around 2-3 reps of 2000... leg strength has never been a problem of mine (although I do have a history of hamstring injuries)....

my (entire) torso I don't really worry about... I'm not tryna get on the cover of some magazine.... I just don't wanna look at myself & know that I resemble the pregnant n***a on the block (lol)...

I don't want (what I call) the steroid neck, so to speak... look at triple H & jason giambi for an example of what I'm talking about.... I mean basically, I'm not tryna be solid as a goddamn rock...

you know what they say about too much of a good thing......

...and oh, you get more of a workout (and more results) then walking/jogging/running b/w two (or more) points, as opposed to walking/running/jogging in place on an exercise bike... it has to do w/ forward momentum, and some other element/relationship I don't quite remember at the moment.... retailers push ppl. to get exercise bikes due to how much they cost.... personally I find them bulky, and to be a complete waste of money....

Exercise bikes suck. You're not doing the work. The machine does the work. The treadmill is the best cardio (outside of an actual track). I have a slight pot belly but I can run a mile and a half in under 13 minutes. I'm 6 feet tall and I weigh somewhere between 195 and 200. Before I started running I was over 220 pounds. I occasionally eat junk food. I'm addicted to Joe's Best Burger. However, I try to limit junk food to two days a week. If you want to build muscle mass then the best way to do it is to eat grits and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Also, drink skim milk. The preacher curl (the funny looking machine where you sit down and place you elbows on a padding) instantly develops the biceps.

i got my own weight in my basement...so i work out at my house. no need for an extra payment on hands.

Same here, I got a Pro Form treadmill, Schwinn exercise bike, a weight bench with leg lift/curl attachments and 2 pairs of cast iron dumbells(35lbs) (45lbs). I lift light weights/high reps just for toning, never was into bulking up.

I recently bought an iron gym pull up bar, pull ups and chin ups when done correctly are great exercises.

Exercise bikes suck. You're not doing the work. The machine does the work. The treadmill is the best cardio (outside of an actual track). I have a slight pot belly but I can run a mile and a half in under 13 minutes. I'm 6 feet tall and I weigh somewhere between 195 and 200. Before I started running I was over 220 pounds. I occasionally eat junk food. I'm addicted to Joe's Best Burger. However, I try to limit junk food to two days a week. If you want to build muscle mass then the best way to do it is to eat grits and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Also, drink skim milk. The preacher curl (the funny looking machine where you sit down and place you elbows on a padding) instantly develops the biceps.

yes, I have a preacher curl.. paid around 175 for it.... been part of my routine every morning for almost a year now.... I should use it more often than once a day though....

the one thing I was never really crazy about, is dieting (watching calorie counts; ....really, watching what I eat)... although you're not wrong with what you're suggesting, I'm not trying to lose weight... I'm fine where I'm at (210-215)... I forget the formula for BMI (body mass index), but I get peers that actually tell me I'm skinny for my stature [avg. build] (6'3, 210/5)...

guess that's a direct result of having athletes thrown at us, as far as the media goes....

Archived