MTA spends $400,000 to train new bus drivers as laid-off veterans sit at home

Y2Julio

under normal circumstances OA would get unofficial civil service protection. but when the MTA doesn't get what they want, they can take it away and pretend it never happened. thus, saving themselves from the wrath of the union lawyers. Keeping the OA non-civil was their way of screwing us in the future which is NOW!

But as you can see, waldo is trying everything he can to force us to give up our raise.

Oh, THANKYOU.....tousaint for giving up so many MaBSTOA rules that could have kept the MTA managment in check.

Not that my opinion counts,but TA and OA operators need to come together and merge into one list. There will be some short term pain but in the long run the union will be stronger and the (MTA) will not be able to whipsaw one against the other.

But then again I work for a company with 3 different unions that can't stand one another.

Actually, NYCT, MTA Bus, and Long Island Bus needs to come together as one list; what is really needed is for the state to require that bargaining units be systemwide.

I looked a little further in depth to see what could be done. I found out that the MTA cannot hire MaBSTOA workers for TA positions, even with the TWU's blessing.

The reason is due to a court ruling in the 2004 case of Civil Service Employees Association vs. City of Long Beach which was finalized in 2007. The ruling essentially states that provisional employees (which would be the MaBSTOA drivers in this case) cannot be hired whenever there is still an outstanding open competitive list.

So even if the MTA wanted to place the MaBSTOA drivers into available TA jobs, they cannot or they would be in violation of the ruling.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-court-of-appeals/1096343.html

I looked a little further in depth to see what could be done. I found out that the MTA cannot hire MaBSTOA workers for TA positions, even with the TWU's blessing.

The reason is due to a court ruling in the 2004 case of Civil Service Employees Association vs. City of Long Beach which was finalized in 2007. The ruling essentially states that provisional employees (which would be the MaBSTOA drivers in this case) cannot be hired whenever there is still an outstanding open competitive list.

So even if the MTA wanted to place the MaBSTOA drivers into available TA jobs, they cannot or they would be in violation of the ruling.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-court-of-appeals/1096343.html

Right. The only way to go from OA to TA or vice versa would be to resign from one, and be hired from the other. Basicly like going between RTO, and DOB.

Actually, NYCT, MTA Bus, and Long Island Bus needs to come together as one list; what is really needed is for the state to require that bargaining units be systemwide.

i will agree that we need just one contract and it be the same.

but combining the Seniority will not happen between LIB,NYCT or MTA bus.

i know in LIB contract if anyone else wants to come to our garage they go to the bottom of the Seniority list...when we switch between our garages we keep our Seniority. we dont lose it.

the drivers that got laid off, had at most, 2yrs & change on the job. And the benefits will cost the same, no matter how long you are on the job. They sure as hell are not saving anything. They are doing it out of spite. bottom line.

Pension Tier 4 over Tier 5 is probably adds up in savings department.

i will agree that we need just one contract and it be the same.

but combining the Seniority will not happen between LIB,NYCT or MTA bus.

i know in LIB contract if anyone else wants to come to our garage they go to the bottom of the Seniority list...when we switch between our garages we keep our Seniority. we dont lose it.

Eventually, TA, OA, and Bus Co. will be merged. LIB as well if the MTA keeps it under their control.

I heard a LIB operator talking to the dispatcher at Hempstead talking about how all the "city drivers get the benefits" or whatever. I didn't know - she was going to run the N6 and I was only walking towards the N32 bay by the entrance to the transit center.

we all get benefits,but we all have different things in out contracts. none of our contracts are the same. we all have different works rules etc..

Archived